Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Talking Going to Best Buy Tonight

Mankato is one of 3 stores in Minnesota that have the Black PRS T1 at the store. At least according to the online store. I want the red so I may wait to get that one. I know I know I said I didn't need it ...I don't. But I've been looking at the reviews at You Tube & it sure looks good,. I'll let you know what I think of it.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only one available is the black. They had no display model out. I had to purchase it to see it. Best Buy has a 30 return policy though.

My first impressions. I did have trouble getting my computer to recognize it. Had to read the manual. I haven't gotten the sony reader library to recognize it yet??? Will look into it later. Overall I like it.
1) Easy to set up
2) The bezel isn't that big a glare. In fact I don't really notice it. Especially after having the Nook Classic.
3) The reader store is a snap. The Google Store is a waste of time unless you want the classics etc.
4) Someone said they downloaded from Kobo. I didn't try Kobo but I did try BoB & I could order from them but not download directly from them.So I tried downloading it to the reader library & to my reader. But like I said it didn't recognize it. It just said "error." So I had to sideload it from my computer to the reader. I'll try the Kobo store later.
5) The web browser isn't too bad. But I seldom use web browsers on my reader.
6) No cover available yet so I won't be using it too much till I get one.
7) I like the the font sizes. The font styles are nice too. But then i never really objected to the other one on my 350.
8) I like the menu & back buttons on the bottom. The page turn buttons are okay but I probably won't use them.
9) I like the two finger zoom & zoom out.
10) Dictionary is a bit different. You press & hold & it brings up the definition & wikipedia etc. Of course you can also tap on the screen to go back to what you were reading or hit the back button.
11) Turning the pages only takes a slight flick of my thumb. Each page refreshes though so be aware of that.

I'm sure there is more. I don't have any pdf so I can't tell you whether I like it or not. I didn't try notes or highlighting but the You Tube video showed that pretty well.
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Congrats on finding one at Best Buy. When you say Reader Library do you mean the old software? Did you try the new Reader software with the T1?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru

No. I forgot about that. DUH!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't download from booksonboard too (customer address error message) and also ebooks.com. I was able to download from kobo and feedbooks ok.

I keep forgetting that the buttons are on the bottom and not the top anymore. Also, there is no longer a button for sound volume level. You change the volume by a slider on the screen. The difference between high and low is much improved. The lowest volume on the old models was still too loud for me so I like the larger range with the slider.
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I also own a PRS-T1 and I've tried the web browser on my website (I'm the co-founder of Feedbooks).

While DRM-free titles work fine, downloading an .acsm file always returns an error message.

I've tried side-loading an .acsm through Dropbox too and it didn't work.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

It's somehow interpreting acsm files from the public library and from Kobo. You can tell that from the download notification message, which is not just the name of the EPUB file.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

You mention that you've tried it on Feedbooks too, was it exclusively with one of our free EPUB ?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I also own a PRS-T1 and I've tried the web browser on my website (I'm the co-founder of Feedbooks).

While DRM-free titles work fine, downloading an .acsm file always returns an error message.

I've tried side-loading an .acsm through Dropbox too and it didn't work.
.... It is possible that the ability to download DRM'd files is tied to the public library feature? Which means that it is disabled outside North america and UK?

( I really hope that isn't the case )
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
You mention that you've tried it on Feedbooks too, was it exclusively with one of our free EPUB ?
Yes, I downloaded a free EPUB.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
.... It is possible that the ability to download DRM'd files is tied to the public library feature? Which means that it is disabled outside North america and UK?

( I really hope that isn't the case )
I doubt that this is the case really, otherwise it wouldn't work on Kobo. There's probably a technical explanation for that (file extension, media type etc.).

I'll have to digg a little deeper and see if I can uncover something.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I keep forgetting that the buttons are on the bottom and not the top anymore. Also, there is no longer a button for sound volume level. You change the volume by a slider on the screen. The difference between high and low is much improved. The lowest volume on the old models was still too loud for me so I like the larger range with the slider.
That would be a minus for me, but not a deal breaker. Do you mostly listen to music, or spoken content, with your e-reader?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Congrats on finding one at Best Buy. When you say Reader Library do you mean the old software? Did you try the new Reader software with the T1?
Okay I'm a bit confused here. By Reader Library I mean the place my books are downloaded to & stored at. From there I put it on my reader. Is that the same thing as the reader software? I have not downloaded the new software because of some of the issues that have been mentioned in another topic. I can get my Mac to recognize the reader though. It is a bit different in how that is done though. My other reader is a Sony 350 so everything was side loaded.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Reader Library is the name of the Sony computer desktop software for the ereaders.

To get your Mac to recognize the T1 in Reader Library, hold down the 3 + 2 keys on your keyboard as the Mac is booting up. This will boot you into 32 bit mode. If you continue to have trouble, remove all USB devices besides the Sony.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I am not sure if the old Reader Library software will recognize the T1. Is that an option? I thought the T1 would only be recognized by the new Reader for Mac /PC software.