Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
paulnjean
paulnjean began at the beginning.

Device: RCA Reb 1100
Any RCA Reb 1100 users around?

Hey all you 1100 owners, and there must be a few, are ya'll still using it or have you gone to one of the new e-ink non-back lit readers. If there are any more 1100 owners and more importantly "users" , I sure would like to hear from you. I would hate to know that I was one of the few still enjoying my 1100. I don't want this to be a poll or anything, I would just like to hear from other users.
paulnjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I certainly have mine, yes. But I do not use it anymore because I am unfortunately stuck with a russian firmware that I cannot get rid off.

Alas.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Eddie
Enthusiast
Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360, Kobo, Rocket eBook
I have and use on a regular basis a NuvoMedia Rocket eBook PRO (I know, it's not a REB1100, but its forerunner).
I'm disappointed with the current state of the ebook devices - after all, at this moment, there's no device that can offer
- touchscreen
- word search
- dictionary support
- bookmarks
- adding own notes
for a price comparable to the $250 I paid for it back in 2000...
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I have and use on a regular basis a NuvoMedia Rocket eBook PRO (I know, it's not a REB1100, but its forerunner).
I'm disappointed with the current state of the ebook devices - after all, at this moment, there's no device that can offer
- touchscreen
- word search
- dictionary support
- bookmarks
- adding own notes
for a price comparable to the $250 I paid for it back in 2000...
Well, what about the eBookwise-1150. It is cheaper but has the features you ask for.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
paulnjean

I am not sure Dale, but maybe Eddie has alot of .rb books that he reads on his Rocket and cannot convert to .imp. If it were as easy to convert .rb to .imp as it is to convert .lit to .rb you can bet alot of rocket and reb 1100 users would switch to the 1150. I know I would! I just can't give up the library that I have, OR THE BACK LIGHT. I am sure others may feel the same. Or, I could be wrong. HA HA! But any way thanks for the input.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnjean View Post
I am not sure Dale, but maybe Eddie has alot of .rb books that he reads on his Rocket and cannot convert to .imp. If it were as easy to convert .rb to .imp as it is to convert .lit to .rb you can bet alot of rocket and reb 1100 users would switch to the 1150. I know I would! I just can't give up the library that I have, OR THE BACK LIGHT. I am sure others may feel the same. Or, I could be wrong. HA HA! But any way thanks for the input.
Paulnjean:

It is all relative to the amount of effort you wish to dedicate to convert .rb to .imp. Check the RB Wiki for programs that "burst" a .rb into its .html, image and .info components. These could then be converted manually, one at a time, or you can use RB2Project from ETI (manufacturer of the EBW 1150 or ETI-2) from the dos prompt/command line to gear up for large scale batch converting of .rb to .imp.

This all assumes that your .rb ebooks are unencrypted. If not, then its a moot point as you cannot ever migrate them to another reader!

BTW, the 1150 also has a BACK LIGHT.

Have a look at the Mobileread Wiki pages on the REB 1100, Rocket eBook, and eBookwise-1150 for more information about their similarities (and differences).
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Eddie
Enthusiast
Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Eddie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360, Kobo, Rocket eBook
Well, basically the eB1150 is the same thing as my Rocket. I don't see why I should buy the same reader once again - I'm waiting for something that would also offer mp3 support, eInk, good image support, bigger screen and lots of storage space.
The Cybook seems to be the closest to what I want, but I'll wait for the Netronix's EB 300 to arrive before considering a purchase.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
joney
joney began at the beginning.

Device: REB 1100
Quote:
paulnjean I am not sure Dale, but maybe Eddie has alot of .rb books that he reads on his Rocket and cannot convert to .imp. If it were as easy to convert .rb to .imp as it is to convert .lit to .rb you can bet alot of rocket and reb 1100 users would switch to the 1150. I know I would! I just can't give up the library that I have, OR THE BACK LIGHT. I am sure others may feel the same. Or, I could be wrong. HA HA! But any way thanks for the input.
If it is easy to convert .lit to .rb like you say, perhaps you can tell me what software you use for this? I cannot find any software (windows based) that will convert to .rb for my REB1100!

Maybe you/someone can help?
joney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
joney:

I just answered this for you in a visitor's message, but it is a good question and I will again answer it here.

-Nick

Answer for all:

Yes, I know of (and created) the software to convert .prc to .rb; it's called Mobi2IMP and can be found in the thread Mobi2IMP 9.4 with new Windows GUI & UTF-8

You will note that there is an option to convert the .prc/.mobi/.pdb file directly to REB1100 .rb along with the .imp for the EBW1150, namely:

For .LIT to .rb, follow the instructions (again created by me) to convert .lit to .imp as per the thread Convert .lit directly into .IMP formats .

Then ensure you have created that empty file 'debug' so that the .html and images are left behind. Open the o_sb.opf with eBook Publisher and choose as the Build Target 'Monochrome Half-VGA'.

Happy converting!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
greywolfmccoy
greywolfmccoy began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100
Cool REB 1100

i still use my REB 1100 regularly.
i also use a psp to read on
and i read using my pc

what i don't understand is why they quit making the 1100
it was a perfect platform for reading books
greywolfmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolfmccoy View Post
i still use my REB 1100 regularly.
i also use a psp to read on
and i read using my pc

what i don't understand is why they quit making the 1100
it was a perfect platform for reading books
probably because it was WAY ahead of its time..
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #12
paulnjean

Hey did you guys know that the guy that is making that electric car the Tesla brand sportscar , Martin Eberhard, is the same person who started the neuvomedia Rocket ebook, the predecessor to the Reb1100. Just some trivia.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Lago
Connoisseur
Lago doesn't litterLago doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150, REB1200, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnjean View Post
Hey did you guys know that the guy that is making that electric car the Tesla brand sportscar , Martin Eberhard, is the same person who started the neuvomedia Rocket ebook, the predecessor to the Reb1100. Just some trivia.
an electric car? and he isn't dead yet? info please.....
Lago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Late, but I have one of these, got it for c. $100 back in 2001/2002. It seems to be dead now since it never boots when turned on, just a blank white screen.

So, I went back to using my Palm IIIx (upgraded with TRG's XTRA XTRA PRO 8MB RAM/4MB FLASH), and my Franklin Ebookman EBM-911 (have the bad cap, such that I have to restore every time that I change batteries). Also have a few other handhelds, Handspring Prism, Sony Clie n730, Casio E-110 (IIRC), and a may as well be dead Compaq iPaq(original shipment, 64MB FLASH(instead of 32MB because of FLASH shortage), battery dead as usual -- crappy Compaq).

Can't stand using the color devices for reading, and mainly use the Palm because a) it's monochrome, it can hold a fair number of book, and I used it from when I bought it (1998 IIRC) until I got the REB-1100. Use the REB-1100 all of the time until it died, and had considered, recently, buying the re-badged units from Fictionwise but didn't care for the sounds of the OS they replaced the Rocket OS with(both are half-baked of course).

So now I'm down to looking at Astak EZ Readers and the SOny PRS-700BC (because I think that I'll miss the touch screen after having one on every single device that I've used as a reader to date). (Hanlin v9 sounds too bulky, too bad the v3 update would be plus touchscreen instead of plus WiFi...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
harperking
harperking began at the beginning.

Device: REB 1100
Still have my REB1100 and use it daily! I have toyed with the idea of getting one of the newer devices, but love my backlight too much LOL I also love the shape of the 1100 - easy to hold with that "bulge" - even for hours at a time.
My only downside on it is that I recently bought a new comp that came with Vista - and the software won't work on it! So now I have to borrow a friends computer when I want to add new books!
harperking is offline   Reply With Quote