Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #16
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
If you have a 200Mhz unit, they are some known problem with the ePub version due to the low memory (16MB instead of the 32 of the newers
I though there were :
first version, 200Mhz, 16Mg. Then 200Mhz, 32Mg and 400Mhz, 32Mg.

And speaking of battery, why no "reading while charging" ?
I bought one these :
http://www.amazon.fr/Philips-SCE4430...2009165&sr=8-2
But I would still need to wait for a minimal charge, get cybook to display slideshow to bypass that. (I ussually see the no more battery when the cybook crashes on me...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-24-2010 at 05:07 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
After one day, it has gone down from 90% to 70%, and I have read very little, maybe 10 pages. This means (with the error given by the 10% margin that the Cybook only gives, a consume between 20% and 30%. I'll see tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What exactly do you mean by shorter ? How long ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After only 2 days, a disaster !

This morning, I picked up the Cybook, and the battery was down to 20%.
So in about 50-51 hours, it has gone down from 90% to 20%. The consume is non linear, that is for sure.
In these 2 days I must have read about 50-60 pages, plus I have looked 3-4 times at the battery state.
I really am starting to doubt the battery.
But it has somehow confirmed my feelings, my Cybook is lasting less. Whether that is due to the FW upgrade, that is open for debate. In my case I doubt it.
Must find another battery, possibly an alternative. I'll have a look around, anybody got an alternative battery make ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
After one day, it has gone down from 90% to 70%, and I have read very little, maybe 10 pages. This means (with the error given by the 10% margin that the Cybook only gives, a consume between 20% and 30%. I'll see tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #19
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After only 2 days, a disaster !
Not normal. i charged mine friday, not fully, still says "80%". Unless Gen3 uses more power when on than the opus does..

Quote:
This morning, I picked up the Cybook, and the battery was down to 20%.
So in about 50-51 hours, it has gone down from 90% to 20%. The consume is non linear, that is for sure.
No, battery metter is causing that problem.

Quote:
But it has somehow confirmed my feelings, my Cybook is lasting less. Whether that is due to the FW upgrade, that is open for debate. In my case I doubt it.
Must find another battery, possibly an alternative. I'll have a look around, anybody got an alternative battery make ?
If you think your battery is at fault, get a new one from bookeen.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
brudigia
Evangelist

Wow, that is not nice, if I cannot trust at all the battery metre, that is a problem.

Quote:

No, battery metter is causing that problem.

If you think your battery is at fault, get a new one from bookeen.
What else could it be ?
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Wow, that is not nice, if I cannot trust at all the battery metre, that is a problem.
It takes several charge/discharge cycles to correctly calibrate the battery meter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Battery metters, in general, are not perfect.

Quote:
What else could it be ?
Your cybook drawing more power than it should.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Battery metters, in general, are not perfect.

Your cybook drawing more power than it should.
I write SW for a living, and if the culprit is sloppy software, I would be upset.
I hope it is as HarryT says, that it takes time, although I installed version 1.5 a few months ago, when it came out.
What do you mean, by the way, by several cycles ?
When I bought it, it did not behave like this. I was able to read between 3 and 4 books, and still the meter never went below 40-50%. I must surmise that it has degraded with time ?
HW can degrade with time, I know that, but in a year and a half it seems a too short a time.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #24
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
When did you bought it?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
I write SW for a living, and if the culprit is sloppy software, I would be upset.
SW ?

My Opus runs that same firmware and don't have problems. So unless it's a "bug" affecting only some hardware...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I'm pretty sure that he's battery is faulty. It's more likely is Cybook is old, especially if he bought it in 2007/2008
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
brudigia
Evangelist

I bought it in september 2008. It is a 200 Mhz Cybook, just a couple of months, probably, before they introduced the 400 MHz.I do not know how much memory it has, I suppose 32 Mb, but I do not know if there is a way to check, the "about" in the menu does not help me.
Just bought bit longer than a year and a half.

If it is the battery, I'm not pleased. Nothing to do with Bookeen, of course, but I can't help not being pleased.

I'd better check the best offer on a new battery. Sigh...... 60 Euros bye bye......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
When did you bought it?

Last edited by brudigia; 04-26-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
brudigia
Evangelist

It shouldn't be the same firmware, as I am still running 1.5, and I suppose you run 2.0 on your Opus.
In fact, I very much doubt it, for the same reasons you just mention. It would be very difficult to do it, at the very least. That is why most of my attention went at once to the battery. Still, though, if the battery meter is faulty, something could be probably be done, but I think Bookeen people are now thinking of the Horizon, I suppose. Not that I blame them, it is a commercial sense, of course.

Quote:
SW ?

My Opus runs that same firmware and don't have problems. So unless it's a "bug" affecting only some hardware...
Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
EowynCarter
Wizard

Oh, my bad, I though you where running 2.0.

Quote:
Still, though, if the battery meter is faulty, something could be probably be done
Yes and no.
Battery metters uses voltage to tell the battery's state. But voltage will decrease exponentially, rather than proportionally.
In other words, voltage decrease will be slow at first, then faster. You can have this taken into account, but it requires more precision in voltage measures.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #30
brudigia
Evangelist

In other words, it's not worth the time to code a good algorithm.
Then it is a bad requirement being written. It does not matter, I have my mind on the battery being responsible, I'll splash 60 € on a second battery, it is always useful, luckily they are easily interchanged.

Quote:
Oh, my bad, I though you where running 2.0.
Yes and no.
Battery metters uses voltage to tell the battery's state. But voltage will decrease exponentially, rather than proportionally.
In other words, voltage decrease will be slow at first, then faster. You can have this taken into account, but it requires more precision in voltage measures.