Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
iostream
iostream began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Cheapest?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around for a ebook reader for quite a while but due to my lack of knowledge in this field I really was struggling finding the right one. Here's what i'm looking for; a reader that can definitely read scanned ebooks in pdf format and the one that is the cheapest that can do this. I'm really not concerned with the size, i'd even go so far as to say that even a mobile phone would suffice.

So if there is any phone software or e-book reader that fits my description i'd thank whoever helps me out alot.

Also i've heard that the iPhone can read ebooks using an application, would that include scanned ebooks (specifically pdfs)?

cheers
iostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
PDF's are kind of a bear for most readers, especially lower end, smaller screened ones. If you're flexible on this point there will be more options.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Mach1.9pants
Mach1.9pants doesn't litterMach1.9pants doesn't litter

Device: DR1000S
Yep PDFs, especially ones with images or diagrams, aren't so hot on ereaders.

However I have gone for the cheapest ereader at the moment which is the Foxit eSlick. It only reads PDFs (and txt) but comes with software that lets you print any document to PDF. Still full A4 sized pages aren't good but I am happy to use a PDF editor and PaperCrop (free: http://jupiter.kaist.ac.kr/~taesoo/p...index_eng.html) to get what I need from the eSlick.

Mainly cos I am holding out for a more expensive next gen A4 ish sized eReader, at the moment they don't cut it for me. So I brought the cheapest to last me a year or two before I upgrade... to something...
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I ipod touch might be the device for you, cheap at less than 150 used. it can read pdfs atleast as comfortable as any screen that is smaller than an Irex is.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
iostream
iostream began at the beginning.

Thanks all for the replies,

About the iPod Touch, does it view images inside a pdf? as in if the book was scanned? because i've heard of some devices and software that read pdfs but have to go through a process where the text inside the pdf is converted into a readable file. I stress that what I mean by scanned pdfs is that the whole ebook is a collection of images compiled in one file. I'm worried I might get something that doesn't read scanned ebooks cos that's exactly what I need.

That aside, the Ipod does sound interesting, its like getting an all in one mutlimedia device.

Last edited by iostream; 05-02-2009 at 03:11 PM.
iostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

My friend uses Stanza but it doesn't support image based pdfs.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
there are other pdf readers for Ipod/phone

stanza is a ebook reader, not a pdf Viewer
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What about a used PDA? You should be able to get one faily cheap.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Actually for the past week, I have been reading Sherlock Holmes (Mobipocket version) on my HTC Diamond phone (Windows mobile phone) and it has been pretty enjoyable....

Of course, i would love to have a proper Ebook reader...
chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
One of those cheap e-pictureframes ($50) and use zune converter to convert pdf into images.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote