Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your favorite features in your respective iOS eReading apps?
Highlighting 4 14.29%
Ease of access to new books 12 42.86%
Avant-garde features (elaborate) 1 3.57%
Integration with book sites 5 17.86%
Text Annotation 3 10.71%
Other (elaborate/comment) 5 17.86%
Text/font/layout customization 24 85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
What are your favorite features in your respective iOS eReading apps?

Hey guys,

Just looking for opinions. What are your favorite features in your respective iOS eReading apps? If you have other features that aren't in the poll or care to elaborate on your choice, please comment!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mattcurtis; 06-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

You left off the most important feature for me--syncing of current page, bookmarks, notes, highlighting across multiple devices.
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
mattcurtis
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You left off the most important feature for me--syncing of current page, bookmarks, notes, highlighting across multiple devices.
Ah! I knew I was missing a few that were important. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
My new favorite thing is the Kindle feature of telling me how long it will take me to finish the chapter I'm on, and how long it will take me to finish the book.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
My top 5:

Customization of fonts, colors, margins, etc. (Marvin)
Auto-scroll
Centralized vocabulary list for all books (Marvin)
Reading stats
Centralized highlights/quotations list for all books.

Marvin has two of them now. The rest are on my wish list.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Autoscroll (at least for handheld devices). I still miss iFlowReader. It also had History navigator that let you jump between locations more easily.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
mattcurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Autoscroll (at least for handheld devices). I still miss iFlowReader. It also had History navigator that let you jump between locations more easily.
History navigator? Sounds interesting. How did it work?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Text/font/layout customization
Ease of access to new books (well, not necessarily new; as long as it has OPDS support, that's good enough for me)

Other (elaborate/comment):
Customization of controls (e.g. tap areas, gestures)
Extended metadata (e.g. synopsis/description, series, genre)
Library organization/automatic collections (based on tags, authors, series, etc)
Search (both library and ebook)
Syncing across devices

Marvin already has most of the features important to me. All that's missing is device syncing and an iPhone/iPod Touch app.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
History navigator? Sounds interesting. How did it work?
Much like a browser it maintained a list of locations that you could scroll through and jump to, instead of just Back as most reading apps do.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb View Post
My new favorite thing is the Kindle feature of telling me how long it will take me to finish the chapter I'm on, and how long it will take me to finish the book.
Me too, I love that feature
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Double column reading in landscape mode is important to me when I'm using my iPad.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Marvin has most of things I need.
What it doesn't have yet are:
- multi-device sync for everything (books themselves, highlights,etc) (at least between iPad and iPad Mini, preferable between iPad and Mac(and this mean OS X app))
- native evernote clipping, somehow synchronized with Marvin's own highlighting
- ability to report what I read to server of my choosing (when you switch away from book, Marvin shows popup 'You read X for Y minutes' but it's not possible to export that data)
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
JesseTheK
JesseTheK began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4 + KyBook3, Macbook Pro & Calibre
Tilt scrolling (see Instapaper). It's a refinement of autoscrolling, since you can slow down and reverse by tilting the device (other gestures would work of course).

Link to two dictionaries for routine, offline lookup. Realized this was vital when I was reading an English-language book set in Portugal.

Highlighting is just an annotation without any text attached. Most elegant annotation support would be annotation index integrated with the table of contents. At the chapter level, just a number for how many notes in that chapter. Opening up, one would see the
Page# first sentence on page
Note symbol: first characters of note

Last edited by JesseTheK; 10-02-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: format fiddler
JesseTheK is offline   Reply With Quote