Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
convert from the calibre produced mobi to something else and use the debug option. in the debug directory you'll find a single html file in the input subdirectory. And the people at Amazon are morons.
I might just love you (I'm a chick). Edit that: I do love you AND Calibre. I agree about the people at Amazon, but my clients are, rightfully (in their own way) having sh*tfits.

I'll try that, as the epub-via-KindleGen isn't quite working for me due to TOC issues.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
kindlegen does support epub input. It may not like all legal ePubs, but it should produce a 100% compatible MOBI for Amazon (essentially by definition).

If the Sigil ePub does not convert cleanly to MOBI using mobigen, what I would try next is:

a) Convert from ePub to MOBI using Calibre, then
b) convert from MOBI to ePub using Calibre, then
c) convert from ePub to MOBI using kindlegen.

This is a very round about way to get a Kindle MOBI, but Amazon can hardly blame Calibre if kindlegen is what creates the MOBI.
My problem thus far is that the Sigil-epub-to-KindleGen hasn't produced a TOC. I'll try it, because at this point I'd try almost bloody anything. AFTER I try Kovid's excellent method to find the single html file...just in case. ;-)

I am really, really, REALLY hating Amazon today, those @sswipes.

EDIT: UPDATE: This procedure, mind-blowingly, works. I deleted my Sigil-created epub from the Calibre library (as I was somewhat unsure of the overwriting protocols) and converted my mobi BACK to epub, then drag-n-dropped that sucker right onto KindleGen, and, bobs-yer-uncle, it worked.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 07-18-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Because I love you all better'n my luggage...
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
convert from the calibre produced mobi to something else and use the debug option. in the debug directory you'll find a single html file in the input subdirectory. And the people at Amazon are morons.
Oh, and, yes, Kovid:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this trick. Saved me no end of aggravation, and I've sent it on to my client for his own library, in case I get run over by a car or what-have-you.

And thanks for Calibre. You don't get thanked enough.

Hitch
Old 07-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Some Amazon input that might be useful

Quote:
@Kovid, FWIW, here's their latest:

Quote:
In our initial research, we've found that the files created by Calibre do not have enough space in their headers to accommodate the DRM that is applied when the content is downloaded to the Kindle. To fix this situation, re-create your content using our conversion tools (MobiPocket or KindleGen) and upload it to DTP.
Hope this is helpful.

Hitch
Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks, that gives me something concrete to go on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

BTW, the Sigil-epub-to-Calibre-mobi-to-Calibre-epub to KindleGen works fine. It's a bit bizarre, and I have to watch myself, because I end up with similarly-named files in different directories, but it does work and produce what, thus far, appears to be a .mobi. I've uploaded the first one that will go through Amazon's DRM....when it goes live I'll download a K4PC copy and see what happens. If that works, and it would help you, Kovid, I could then send you copies of the original mobi that didn't work and the Kindle-gen'ed one that does. Let me know if that would be useful.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, that would help
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, drm, kindle for pc, mobi conversion