Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Angry apple stock takes a hit from "antennagate"

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/13/in-...k-takes-a-hit/

dropped $10 this morning. i just lost some money. grrr.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl;
http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/13/in-...k-takes-a-hit/

dropped $10 this morning. i just lost some money. grrr.
Yikes...me, too! :-(
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
I was actually wondering about that on the commute to work this morning and had it in the back of my mind to check sometime today...

It's still way up from a year ago and about 25% up since February thanks to the iPad, but they need to respond to this antenna issue soon in a way other than improving the display of the signal strength bars.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Obvious though it is to say, you've only lost money if you sell at the lower price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Obvious though it is to say, you've only lost money if you sell at the lower price.
Well, that's not true.

If one would follow your argumentation all the banks wouldn't got financial problems because of the 'subprime crises'
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How is it "not true"? Unless you sell your shares, your "loss" is purely a theoretical one, as is your "gain" if the price goes up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
what goes down must come back up?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How is it "not true"? Unless you sell your shares, your "loss" is purely a theoretical one, as is your "gain" if the price goes up.
At first you have exchanged real money against shares. So you have 'lost' the money in the first place (at least at that point).

The value of the share is determined by the amount of money you get at that time. That means you loose or win monetary value (not money) every second.

Anyway, if it's better for your psychological state you can tell yourself that you didn't loose money.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Apple has gotten themselves in quite a pickle

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...le-pr-iphone4/

I was thinking about buying Apple stock a couple months back but they seemed to be pretty fairly valued so I didn't bother. Consumer tech stocks are so volatile you are always exposed to downside if something better comes out. In this market I'd rather stick with the cash cows that are a bit more stable.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I have had Apple stocks for about one and a half years and I noticed the slight hit, too. However I think this is a perfect situation to buy more stocks, because I’m sure it will recover in a matter of months. This is only a slight problem and doesn’t affect the management or the roadmap for future products. Eventually, I expect the stock to rise up to 250€, maybe more.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I have had Apple stocks for about one and a half years and I noticed the slight hit, too. However I think this is a perfect situation to buy more stocks, because I’m sure it will recover in a matter of months. This is only a slight problem and doesn’t affect the management or the roadmap for future products. Eventually, I expect the stock to rise up to 250€, maybe more.
The stock market will break down after the financial crisis will hit the job market.

It's just another Bubblegate (like the New Economy Bubble in the 90s).
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Up until now Apple wasn’t much affected by the financial crisis, much in difference to many other tech companies.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Looks like a typical AAPL day to me
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #14
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
Up until now Apple wasn’t much affected by the financial crisis, much in difference to many other tech companies.
I would say that about 40% of Apple's revenues come from the U.S. consumer and within the next few years when the real crisis hits their stock will drop dramatically.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I hate that the stock dropped, because of how it effects real people. But I'm glad because that is something that will get Steve's attention. I agree it won't be a long term hit.... Reality is there are few people (some would call them huge risk takers) that use an iPhone without a case. So for real world use the problem is not a deal breaker for most. Still, Steve needs to stop with the BS and step up to the plate.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote