Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
nathander13
nathander13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Feature Request - replace "screensavers" with randomly selected book covers from libr

First, thanks for all the hard work on Calibre. I absolutely love it and will be making a donation shortly now that the latest version is out and so many of my crashing issues just up and disappeared.

I was browsing the various tickets and saw that towards the top of the list was a means to automatically delete headers and footers when converting from pdf. This made me extremely happy and was number one on my list of requests. So many of the pdfs I convert were made by random free pdf creators, and they almost all have these ridiculous headers that get converted on each page (e.g. two large yellow blazons with text, or the c:\filename header or the "this pdf was created with blah blah freepdf creator), and it makes reading the resulting mobi file less then enjoyable sometimes.

Three cheers for this feature!

I just closed my kindle and one of the "screen savers" I hate popped up. No big deal really, but why should I have to look at Jane Austen when I'm a scifi and fantasy reader? I was thinking that you could add a feature in Calibre that would either allow me to select certain book covers from my library to be placed in the Kindle screen saver folder, or randomly select say 20 covers to replace those that came with the Kindle.

That is certainly not a high priority feature, and I'm not sure how many other e-book readers other than the DX even have "covers" like this, but it would be a fun feature that would make me very happy.

Keep up the good work.

nate
nathander13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
That "screensaver" is pretty annoying on the Kindle 2 also, so I second this feature request.

However I think one has to jailbrake the reader and install the screensaver hack, which is probably not very suitable for Calibre.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah as far as I know, you can't do this with a vanilla reader, it needs to be hacked.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
nathander13
nathander13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I was kind of afraid of that. Maybe someday that functionality will be added in a firmware upgrade and you can make this happen. I guess I'll just continue my hateful relationship with Jane and Oscar or update the pictures manually via the various workarounds.

Thanks again Kovid.

nate
nathander13 is offline   Reply With Quote