Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #46
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If Turned ON then the screen refreshes with every page turn, if OFF it refreshes after a few page turns (not sure how many).
I believe it's every sixth page.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #47
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Hmm... now that I've seen some pictures, I think mine may have this problem too. I thought I noticed some greenishness and/or redness when reading but I wasn't sure if it was a defect or normal.

My screen looks like this, taken in a dark room with an iPhone (only camera I have) at full brightness. Do you think it warrants replacement? I don't really want to lose my Kindle to read on (already got rid of my NSTWGL), but I don't want to be stuck with a unit that has problems if I don't have to be.

What do you guys think?
I would replace it.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #48
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am more and more convinced it might have something to do with glue, or humidity, or some other variable factor.
Yesterday, when I got mine, I noticed the spots on the bottom, but it looked otherwise pretty uniform. I left it to charge.
I came back to read on it and, the more I read, the more I noticed a pinkish hue in the upper-middle of the screen. It really got annoying. Not as bad as some of the pics I have seen, but there was a different hue to the middle than to the top or bottom.
I have not used my PW today - been stuck at work. Just pulled it out of the bag now and I see no pink hue whatsoever. Trying different levels of brightness, under different lights... nothing. It's just not there.

The spots on the bottom, where the leds are, obviously persist, and I find them really annoying when reading the WSJ - but less when there is a full page of text, as in a book.

But the pink is gone for sure. Hopefully, for good.
That is exactly what I have been thinking. Also, I wonder if internal temperature plays a role. I have noticed a difference in intensity (less) when first turned on after having been off for a few hours or more, then becoming more pronounced while using it. This seems to correspond with your findings. It will be interesting to see if there is a trend forming in the next several days.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

One rather annoying thing I'm seeing is that after you look up a word in the dictionary or pull up a menu or change the light setting--basically do anything that causes a small window to be overlaid on top of the text--once the overlaid window closes a large portion of the text on the page is displayed much thinner and lighter, and this isn't always just the text that had been overlaid. I can restore the text by forcing a page refresh by paging back then paging forward to redisplay the page. But this is an inconvenience. Amazon needs to force a total page refresh whenever an overlaid window closes.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #50
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
One rather annoying thing I'm seeing is that after you look up a word in the dictionary or pull up a menu or change the light setting--basically do anything that causes a small window to be overlaid on top of the text--once the overlaid window closes a large portion of the text on the page is displayed much thinner and lighter, and this isn't always just the text that had been overlaid. I can restore the text by forcing a page refresh by paging back then paging forward to redisplay the page. But this is an inconvenience. Amazon needs to force a total page refresh whenever an overlaid window closes.
This looks like what happens when you are using the kindle android app and using the dictionary to look up a word, afterwards the text is partly smaller and thinner.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Report to Amazon. Sounds like a bug in the firmware.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #52
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
I am sorta freaking out that I'll get a bad one. I getting it forwarded to me through a mailing service, so it's already pretty pricey to get here.

And if it's bad I'll have to pay out of my pocket to get it sent back, which has happened before with my Touch (pins on the back didn't power the light), and it's pretty expensive to ship back!
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #53
Azythe
Azythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with othersAzythe plays well with others

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
I am sorta freaking out that I'll get a bad one. I getting it forwarded to me through a mailing service, so it's already pretty pricey to get here.

And if it's bad I'll have to pay out of my pocket to get it sent back, which has happened before with my Touch (pins on the back didn't power the light), and it's pretty expensive to ship back!
Same here for me. Getting forwarded to me as well. I really hope I get a good PW.
Azythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #54
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I have the same experience with the KTouch so it's not unique to the PW.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #55
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azythe View Post
Same here for me. Getting forwarded to me as well. I really hope I get a good PW.
Dito. I guess we'll know in 10 days.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
This looks like what happens when you are using the kindle android app and using the dictionary to look up a word, afterwards the text is partly smaller and thinner.
Hmm. I certainly don't see that with the Android app on my phone or tablet.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have the same experience with the KTouch so it's not unique to the PW.
It is definitely a FW thing then. I've never noticed it on my Touch but I probably wouldn't have without a bright front light on it like the PW has. It looks like the PW is doing only a partial page refresh after closing the popup windows.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #58
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks for your help all! New PW to be delivered on Tuesday (Yay Amazon!). Support had me do a factory reset to confirm that I was having a hardware problem. It was weird that they noticed I don't use my K1 much for reading anymore. I told the CS I keep it because I use the SD card as backup in case the Amazon servers ever go down (plus the K1 is/was the easiest for liberation but they don't need to know that ).

I do wish there was a way to skip the "training" screens after a factory reset.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #59
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Thanks for your help all! New PW to be delivered on Tuesday (Yay Amazon!). Support had me do a factory reset to confirm that I was having a hardware problem. It was weird that they noticed I don't use my K1 much for reading anymore. I told the CS I keep it because I use the SD card as backup in case the Amazon servers ever go down (plus the K1 is/was the easiest for liberation but they don't need to know that ).

I do wish there was a way to skip the "training" screens after a factory reset.
Yeah that was a pain going through those screens the first time, and twice as bad the second time as I just wanted to pull up some text and see if my screen was better than the previous PW!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #60
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not true for my unit

Quote:
I just tried what you did and did not notice that problem. I have Page Refresh set to On.

I have the same firmware as you so it may be your screen layers again. Maybe it happens with Page Refresh set to Off.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote