Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
PDFs and Kindle DX Graphite

I am about to buy Kindle 3 DX.
Is it good for reading PDFs like Manuals, Textbooks and Novels?

What is your experience if you have one?

Last edited by Nexutix; 11-14-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have used the KDX in the past for PDFs and it can be sluggish when dealing with larger PDFs. I tried to use to read a textbook and it was painfully sloooooooow! So much that I went back to using my laptop for the text books. To be fair, the text books were graphics heavy.

For novels and manual that were text, it worked just fine though it will shrink the pages to fit the screen making the text too small to read at times. You can zoom in but that is a pain.
That drove me to purchase an iPad to tell you the truth...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
That drove me to purchase an iPad to tell you the truth...
To be true, I am a real bookworm, and I can't stick my eyes into my laptop/tablet for more than 2 hours even with F.lux installed.

No offence; but tell me the truth, how much maximum time can you (do you) spend reading book on iPad before you get a feeling of discomfort. [Discomfort can be anything: eye sores, wrist pain, heating, anything. Even low battery.]

Plus the half kilo frightens me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I have used the KDX in the past for PDFs and it can be sluggish when dealing with larger PDFs.
I can break my textbooks into parts of chapters of 50-60 pages.

Last edited by Nexutix; 11-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For the sake of accuracy, there's no such thing as a "Kindle 3 DX". The Kindle DX is actually a Kindle 2, and runs the same version 2.x firmware as the K2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I am about to buy Kindle 3 DX.
Is it good for reading PDFs like Manuals, Textbooks and Novels?

What is your experience if you have one?
I had one, and sold it.

For technical ebooks (not PDFs), novels, etc, is fantastic. The size is perfect and has landscape mode.

For PDFs, is a frustrating experience. I do not read sequential PDFs, I read technical books where I need to jump from chapter A to B or C and back, so it can be slow. It also lacks of some basic editing features that you can find on regular Kindle 3 or tablets.

If you read a lot of PDF documents or books which use color, I would suggest a 10" tablet. But if that will be a sporadic thing, it will serve well. It is lighter than the iPad and is eink, so easier on your eyes with proper light.

By the way and this is speculation from my side: I don't know what will happen with it in a year or so. It did not receive a firmware upgrade in 2011 so it looks like Amazon will move on and invest on tablet market. Just my 2 cents.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I don't have one but looked into buying one. I read a lot of mixed reviews for pdf reading on it, so I'm looking into ipads instead. I just can't find anything with an e-ink screen that works for me in terms of pdfs.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
If you read a lot of PDF documents or books which use color, I would suggest a 10" tablet.
I am prioritizing for E-Ink as I have to read long times. Reading textbooks on tablet will fry my eyes.

I think I will install Doukan firmware on it as it has very nice PDF support.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Should I go forward with this? Might be nice cheap deal.

An Ebay Item with Kindle DX Graphite with wireless not working.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Kin...#ht_500wt_1156

I am installing Doukan firmware and Doukan does not have wireless support anyways. I am also not very keen in downloading books via WiFi.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL . The Kindle DX doesn't have WiFi. As I said earlier in the thread, it's a Kindle 2 with a large screen.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle DX doesn't have WiFi.

*"Wireless (3G)"; which I don't need. Should I go ahead?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sure, why not, if you don't need the 3G. The only thing to perhaps consider is that if 3G doesn't work, it will probably have a significant impact on what you can resell it for.