Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
old goat
Enthusiast
old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
Smashwords shipping to Amazon by year end.

According to Mark: "Amazon's previous target to start accepting our books was September. The new date is "end of year."

On royalties Mark had this to say, "the terms will be essentially the same as for our other retailers - 85% of what Amazon pays us we'll pay you. They pay us 70% for books priced $2.99-$9.99, and 35% for other points, so we'll pay 60% and 30%."
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Interesting. I wonder why the change in start dates. I don't have any books for sale at Smashwords but it is interesting that they pushed back the start date. Some computer problem perhaps, or maybe they figure that it will be easier to compute royalties if they start with a new year?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
old goat
Enthusiast
old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!old goat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
To quote Mark, "Why the delay? Amazon is developing a bulk upload facility that will allow Smashwords to create a tight integration between our systems, similar to what we already have in place with all our other retailers. Since the development effort is on Amazon's side, it's subject to further delays that are outside our control."
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Smashwords is beyond great for getting your work into retailers you wouldn't otherwise be able to. (I'm looking at you Apple.) but I'm not sure using them to go through Amazon is something I would do.
Amazon makes it easy to get a well formatted book on the Kindle, and while Meatgrinder does a pretty good job, there are bound to be issues that are easily avoided with a direct upload.
I'm not yet so lazy that I'll sacrifice a couple hours work for a 15% cut in pay either.
But I still love Smashwords and the great work they do, I might be willing to give it a try and see what Meatgrinder does to my work. If it formats acceptably, well 15% of what I make isn't that big of a sacrifice to support a great organization.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yea I have my books marked "do no distribute to Amazon." Even after its working, I will likely stick with that. I can get my book listed on Amazon in 48 hours, if I go via Smash it takes 5-10 weeks.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
It would be useful if you could get the free ones sent to Amazon, but I don't really see the point for anything else. Amazon will convert for you if you don't know how to do it yourself, just the same as Smashwords does.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It took me a little while to figure out the differences in formatting that Amazon wanted compared to Smashwords, but I think it was worth it. Amazon matched my Smashwords prices within a week (I had one free book at Smashwords, and one at $2, so I set the Amazon prices at $0.99 and $2.99 because of Amazon's requirements and royalties structure).

Smashwords has been great at distributing my books to tons of different stores (I picked up a lot of sales at B&N and Kobo), but Amazon is so big that I think it's worth it to go through them directly. Their book submission system is pretty straightforward once you've gone through it once or twice.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
bektamun
bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle
For authors outside of the United States being able to use Smashwords to distribute to Amazon will be a Godsend mainly for receipt of royalties.

Being in Australia, the only option I have through KDP is to receive a cheque. An international currency cheque costs money to deposit at the bank and also takes a looong time to clear and funds be available.

There are other outside US issues, but the royalties payment is the biggie.
bektamun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, smashwords