Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Files in root vs. folders: is there an option to do this?

For readers that support folders, is there a way to copy book files into their root directory rather than having them in folders? In other words, I'd like all of my calibre book files to be copied directly into the root directory of my reader, and not filed into folders based on authors' names. Is there an option or toggle that would allow me to do this?

Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Set the save path found in Preferences -> Add/Save -> Sending to device to not contain any '/' characters. Be sure that what you put there will result in unique names for the books. Something like {title} - {authors} should work.

If calibre thinks that your device requires that books go in a subdirectory, then it will put them there, using the save template to generate any further levels.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
For readers that support folders, is there a way to copy book files into their root directory rather than having them in folders? In other words, I'd like all of my calibre book files to be copied directly into the root directory of my reader, and not filed into folders based on authors' names. Is there an option or toggle that would allow me to do this?

Thanks!
Be aware this is mostly a terrible practice.

FAT (the typical file system used under 4G) has a limited number of entries (128 IIRC )in the "root" folder.
You can have GOBS of space and no room to save files

Folders at the next layer do not have those small limits.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Be aware this is mostly a terrible practice.

FAT (the typical file system used under 4G) has a limited number of entries (128 IIRC )in the "root" folder.
You can have GOBS of space and no room to save files

Folders at the next layer do not have those small limits.
Interesting... I didn't realize that. Guess I will learn to live with folders!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
argumon
argumon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Samsung Galaxy S i9000
I am looking for the opposite. On my Android phone, calibre syncs all books into folders in the root directory. I would like to have calibres directory structure not in the root folder, but some user defined on (eg. /eBooks) instead.
Any way to set this up?
argumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by argumon View Post
I am looking for the opposite. On my Android phone, calibre syncs all books into folders in the root directory. I would like to have calibres directory structure not in the root folder, but some user defined on (eg. /eBooks) instead.
Any way to set this up?
If you use main memory only, go to the android device plugin (preferences -> plugins -> device plugins -> Android) and put the name of the directory you want to use in the list. Erase all the others if you want. Then be sure that the directory exists.

If you use both main memory and an SD card, then consider changing the save template to something like eBooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}, or whatever you want it to be. Calibre will create the directories as needed. The save template is used for both main memory and cards, so you might want to remove everything from the 'list of directories to use...'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
argumon
argumon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Samsung Galaxy S i9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you use both main memory and an SD card, then consider changing the save template to something like eBooks/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}, or whatever you want it to be. Calibre will create the directories as needed. The save template is used for both main memory and cards, so you might want to remove everything from the 'list of directories to use...'.
Works great, many thanks
argumon is offline   Reply With Quote