Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Mr.Toad
Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mr.Toad can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Lots
Question about Kindle 3 browser coverage on Whispernet

Last year I took my Canadian DXG on vacation and was pleased to find that the browser worked in most of the countries I visited in Europe. I was thinking of getting a K3 since the smaller size would be more convenient for travelling. Although I would use it primarily as a book reader, I also would like to do rudimentary web browsing while away in Europe.

I had assumed that the K3 would be similar to my DXG, but the Amazon web site on the country specific information says this:

“Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection."

I called customer service to see what they had to say, and the person I spoke to insisted that the K3 would have the same browser access on Whispernet that the DXG does.

Can anyone confirm this from actual experience?
Mr.Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I can access sites like Google fine on my K3 over 3G
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Something I've read and am not clear on - they have apparently changed the k3's browser in some way that if a link requires it to open a new page (I think there's a google email issue??), it might not work whereas it does work on the older unit's browsers.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
B34M3R
B34M3R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ive had some bad luck where it would lock up(for no apparent reason), but that happened in the states as much as in germany... so I can say that the experiance is the same over here... except for the fact that edge seemed to run the browser faster than 3g(but that could have very well been my imagination)... also GRPS seems to me to be the most common connection you will get, which is quite a bit slower... but theres still no charges or anything, and as long as you are patient everything still works the same.
B34M3R is offline   Reply With Quote