Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #46
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He's been saying it'll be seven books for quite a while now, but has been quoted lately as saying he's not sure he can wrap everything up in seven and it might end up being eight. He won't be starting the next book until sometime in 2012. It may be 10-15 years before it's all done.
So it will be nine books and book 6 will be released five years from now if we are lucky.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #47
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks.williams View Post
Anyone else notice that A Dance with Dragons doesn't seem to have page numbers like other Kindle books?
I don't actually know how to make the page numbers show up in any kindle books, so I hadn't noticed, but this is one I do want to know what page I'm on!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Usually you have to leave the wireless on for a time so that the companion "page" file will be downloaded (I think... I could be full of it, there). That's IF such a file exists for the book. Not all Kindle books have them... and this books was rushed to "print" very quickly after receiving the the last portions that need to be finished. It's very likely that the "page" file was just overlooked. It may come along later.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #49
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
GRRM uses lots and lots of words in his books, but there's very few that are expendable.
Who are you? Horatio Caine?
Why the shades? D:
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Who are you? Horatio Caine?
Why the shades? D:
No. There there would have been a full, 30-sec pause before the delivery of the "but there's very few that are expendable" bit if Horatio said it.

I'm more like John Belushi.
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #51
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Usually you have to leave the wireless on for a time so that the companion "page" file will be downloaded (I think... I could be full of it, there). That's IF such a file exists for the book. Not all Kindle books have them... and this books was rushed to "print" very quickly after receiving the the last portions that need to be finished. It's very likely that the "page" file was just overlooked. It may come along later.
Under the book product details, it will list the "Page Numbers Source ISBN" if it has page numbers. This book doesn't have it (yet).
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #52
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Had to get the hardcover to go along with my other first editions. Otherwise, I would have only got the ebook.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #53
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Even though I read book 4 very recently I still have trouble remembering some of the family connections but so far I enjoy this book better.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #54
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I bought it. It was less than the hardcover, I got it on release day, and I don't have to schelp the bloody huge book around.

For me book prices are not about absolute limits but about value, and in this case, it was a good value for me.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #55
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'm considering reading this series but meh...sounds like too many fillers for me, plus some of the GR reviews have put me off on it. still, lots of fans here...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i'm considering reading this series but meh...sounds like too many fillers for me, plus some of the GR reviews have put me off on it. still, lots of fans here...
Some parts are great. I can't deny it. But don't let anyone convince you that there's going to be 7, 8, or 9 doorstopper-sized books worth of great. There's more "milking" going on in this series than goes on at a dairy-farm. Martin's just better at keeping that milk from curdling than most other practitioners.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #57
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
There are no pages in an ebook.

Two out of three of my ereaders show page numbers.... Silly goober

nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #58
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
the "milk" from GRRM tastes better (and is more nutritious) than 99% of the rest of the fantasy field

yummy

Quote:
Some parts are great. I can't deny it. But don't let anyone convince you that there's going to be 7, 8, or 9 doorstopper-sized books worth of great. There's more "milking" going on in this series than goes on at a dairy-farm. Martin's just better at keeping that milk from curdling than most other practitioners.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #59
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know, The Mist Born Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson was pretty darn good. There is some great fantasy work out there. I liked the first three books in GRRM series but I don't think it is that much better then anything else. I tend to think that the series is over hyped. If his editor had any balls he would be helping GRRM cut down the page count and getting the books out in a timely fashion. I think that GRRM has bought into his own hype and it is not helping his series out.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I couldn't get into Mistborn, but it's much more reasonably sized (overall series). Too much "world-building" and time spent explaining the allomancy magic system. I'm not big on "brick by brick" world-building in fantasy. It feels like the authors who practice it (I'm looking right at you Tad Williams) are micro-managing my reading experience. Like they can't trust my imagination with regard to their vision. I may get something wrong. I like authors who world-suggest and trust me (the reader) to do my own world-building. I do wish more authors in the genre were as prolific as Sanderson, though. The guy's a writing machine! I'm still hoping that someday, he'll write something I can love.

I agree that that by today's standards, Martin's series may be a tad bit over-rated, but when A Game of Thrones came out in 1996?? Nothing in the genre really compared. It was simply ground-breaking. But yeah... time marches on and the series has taken a bit of dip in quality since A Storm of Swords, and I'm running a little thin on "what have you done for me lately." Plus I don't have a lot of patience for series' that go beyond two - three books anymore. It's like the entire genre (reader, writer, publisher) is scared to death of "The End." I love "the end." So much so, that I'd prefer every book I read to have some semblance of one.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-19-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Tags
a dance with dragons, song of ice and fire