Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
New version available

Attached you find the new version 1.2.2. I removed the attached xpi, because version 1.2.3 which includes the new features of 1.2.2 is now available at the Mozilla website.

Here is what I changed:

- ePub-files opened with EPUBReader can now be saved to a location of choice. Just click on the disk button at the bottom or on the library-page.

- Focus is now set to the ePub content page, so you can now start immediately paging through the epub page using spacebar or page up/down keys.

Please let me know if you experience any problems and for the case you like the new features, I'm also very happy to hear from you .

I'll wait a bit until I upload this new version to the Mozilla website. The Mozilla reviewers are not so happen if you permanently upload new versions because they need to test it every time.

Last edited by mikelv; 12-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I downloaded and installed the attached .xpi but it is still reporting V1.2.1 and there is no disk button at the bottom of a newly opened EPUB.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for your feedback!

Did you restart Firefox?

If yes, please try the following: open the Firefox addons dialog via "Tools/Addon" and drag the new xpi on this window. Please let me know if this worked for you.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Mike,

Problem solved - I had drag and dropped the xpi file into Firefox - it installed and offered a restart which I accepted.

I got a welcome message but it was for 1.2.0

Now re-installed again using "File Open" and all o.k.

Sorry for the false alarm

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Hey mikelv,
thank you for your great Firefox-Addon. If I'm using the "save" feature in the new version the name of the ePub is always "attachment.epub". Is it possible to implement here the possibility to save the epub with the real name?
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
1.2.2 now working

Thanks Mike for the quick response.

With the file directory deleted it works just fine.

Users need to note that when you save via Epubreader that the file name offered is not the original file name. Just something to watch for...actually an improvement from Google epubs from the Sony Store whose names have many extraneous characters.

Thanks again for the great software.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
Hey mikelv,
thank you for your great Firefox-Addon. If I'm using the "save" feature in the new version the name of the ePub is always "attachment.epub". Is it possible to implement here the possibility to save the epub with the real name?
I too like the new save feature but mine defaults to the EPUBREADER name (a number like 1.epub, or 2.epub, etc). It would be nice if it remembered the original file name and offered that as the default.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I too like the new save feature but mine defaults to the EPUBREADER name (a number like 1.epub, or 2.epub, etc). It would be nice if it remembered the original file name and offered that as the default.

Dale
Josch91 and Dale, thanks for your feedback!

Until now, nobody was interested in the original filenames, so I used a pretty simple logic for the filename: try to use the original name, if it's too long or if there are wired characters in it, choose the internal EPUBReader id.

Quite often the original filenames are not very meaningful and if they are generated on the fly, they are named something like "attachment.epub". So, what's about using the booktitle as the filename? Of course I have to add there some logic, so this results in a valid filename (what happens for example if you have got a cyrillic epub ?).
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
So, what's about using the booktitle as the filename? Of course I have to add there some logic, so this results in a valid filename (what happens for example if you have got a cyrillic epub ?).
Thank you for your answer. What do you think about using "author - booktitle.epub" as the filename.
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Hi Michael,

I like new features!

Just one comment: "Save" button is displayed on the botton of the Library page where it does nothing. If it is there fdisplayed for consistency, it should be greyed out. The sane applies to "Library" button on the bottom of the Library page.
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #11
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Just tried v1.2.2. I can open local epub files without getting the repeated dialogue.

Some feature requests:
1. Add a file extention filter for .epub in Open file dialogue, so that users can locate epub files easily.
2. Add a scroll-up button and a scroll-down button on the lower toolbar. Although these buttons can be replaced by PageUp and PageDown or by scrollbar, I still think it can provide certain convenience for some people.
3. Add some color chooser so that users can change the font color and background color.
4. Add some font chooser so that users can change font while reading.

Last edited by ericshliao; 11-24-2009 at 02:02 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #12
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Just found my stupidity. I reported that I can't open local epub files because Firefox always prompt a file to open dialogue after I choose a epub file. In fact, it's not the problem of EPBUReader. It's the problem of file extension. I have several files in a directory, some epub files have extension .epub, some have .zip. The repeated file dialogue problem was caused by choosing files with .zip extension.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
1.2.2 not on Mozilla addon site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I have several files in a directory, some epub files have extension .epub, some have .zip. The repeated file dialogue problem was caused by choosing files with .zip extension.
"Lupas Rename" is your friend then ...

and @mikelv: 1.2.2 is not on the Mozilla addon site yet - it reports 1.2.1 there ...

Keep up the good work and thank you so much ...

Best Regards,
cklammer
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklammer View Post
1.2.2 is not on the Mozilla addon site yet - it reports 1.2.1 there ...
The Mozilla guys need pretty long until they review and release a new version. It can take 2 weeks or longer.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
The Mozilla guys need pretty long until they review and release a new version. It can take 2 weeks or longer.
Oh, OK.
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote