Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Kindle content is coming to cellphones - confirmed

Quote:
Amazon's VP for Kindle, Ian Freed, just confirmed to us (Gizmodo) the little nugget Jeff Bezos mentioned in the Kindle 2 keynote about WhisperSync: Kindle content is coming to cellphones.

They're not ready to say which cellphones—or even when they're going to announce them—but they want them on them cellphones, plural. Pretty exciting! Hopefully, we'll know more soon.
I suspect this means that you gotta HAVE a Kindle as well for this to work, or am I missing something?
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think so. Why would Amazon restrict their iPhone (say) version to Kindle owners when there are millions of potential customers without a Kindle? They will presumably try to restrict access to US iPhone owners, but I don't know how (i.e. how easy this will be to circumvent). Remember, the "Kindle" reading software is virtually identical to the Java MobiPocket Reader that is on several other devices (including Blackberries). They would have to add support for TOPAZ and block all non-Amazon DRMed MOBI sites (just as they do for the Kindle) but that is probably very easy to do.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm really suprised they are doing this. I figured it would be competition for the Kindle.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
From what I was told, I think you don't need a Kindle if you have the cell phone app.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Quote:
I'm really surprised they are doing this. I figured it would be competition for the Kindle.
Precisely why I think this is just an add-on for Kindle owners.

OTOH, it may not be competition for the Kindle - I have done bit of reading on my iPod Touch, identical interface and screen to the iPhone, and it totally SUCKS x 50 compared to the Kindle, the Sony, or any other e-paper device. The risk is that folks who have never used an e-paper device will THINK that the crappy cell phone reading experience is just like e-paper so would not buy a reader. Even my son, who is technically sophisticated, seems to have this mistaken idea.

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-09-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm really suprised they are doing this. I figured it would be competition for the Kindle.
Many people have cell phones. Not all of them will want to fork over $400 for a Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Many people have cell phones. Not all of them will want to fork over $400 for a Kindle.
I agree, but they might lose a lot of people who were on the fence on buying one.

Just musing out loud, I can always be wrong
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
CCDMan

Quote:
Probably depends on how much reading they do. Ultra casual might be OK on a cell but any serious amount needs something better than a cell. I shudder to think what serious reading will do to the battery levels on your cell!

Quote:
I agree, but they might lose a lot of people who were on the fence on buying one.
Yup. It would be too bad to see potential buyers steered toward the exceedingly inferior experience of cell phone reading.

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-09-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Probably depends on how much reading they do. Ultra casual might be OK on a cell but any serious amount needs something better than a cell. I shudder to think what serious reading will do to the battery levels on your cell!

Yup. It would be too bad to see potential buyers steered toward the exceedingly inferior experience of cell phone reading.
I do all my reading on my iPhone (one or two novels a week) while my Sony eReader gathers dust. (note to self: need to do some dusting). I like the portability of a phone and have never had any issues with the screen hurting my eyes. I've been reading on palm and winmo devices for the past ten years.

The Sony device runs rings around any backlit device for battery life-- I was getting 2 weeks+ per charge. But, my phone is always nearby and I have chargers and docks everywhere.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that what works for you doesn't work for everyone. For me, an eInk device is an inferior experience. That doesn't diminish your experience, just confirms that it is different.

I think that if I could load the same book on my phone and Sony Reader and keep the position synced, I would use the Reader more often though.

I'm excited about kindle/mobipocket content coming to iPhone (maybe) as many of the books I want to buy are only available in protected Kindle/Mobi formats.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
So I'm going to be here with my Sony Reader and my cellphone (the dumbest one I could fine cuz I just want to make phone calls with it) and I'll be the only one on the planet who won't be able to buy and read ebooks from Amazon? Man, am I bummed.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I think it makes great sense. It gets them started already on transitioning out of the hardware business and back into the purely media-/service-selling business. Long-term I don't think Amazon want to become a hardware company -- way too low margins.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Probably depends on how much reading they do...
that's the case for me...I've used eReader software for years on PocketPC's..and now on my AT&T Fuze cell phone. But while PocketPC screens were okay for reading books, mycell phone screen is really too small for me...I just can't seem to make the adjustment.

So I just ordered a Kindle 2...made the decision to switch to a dedicated ereader last fall...either Kindle or Sony...but waited for the Kindle 2 announcement before ordering. If Kindle 2 had been a flop, I'd have still ordered a dedicated ereader (probably the Sony 505). I love the portability of ebooks, reading anytime or anywhere...and *very important*...no more piles of books lying around making our living space look like an old attic! But I just can't hack the small screen for long periods of reading.

So I'm one example of a person who really doesn't need a Kindle, but ordered one for increased comfort and convenience so that I can more fully enjoy my favorite hobby (reading).
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm guessing you will have to have an Amazon Kindle account...so yes in a way you will have to be a Kindle owner
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think this is a marketing opportunity. Making the Kindle store available to Cell phones even if the user doesn't have a Kindle will give them more of a reason to get a Kindle.

Also, if they can create software for Cellphones to read Kindle books... there really is no reason why they can't make a reader for PC/Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think this is a marketing opportunity. Making the Kindle store available to Cell phones even if the user doesn't have a Kindle will give them more of a reason to get a Kindle.
I agree. They get to experience a lot of the convenience of ebooks without taking a $359 plunge. If they decide to buy a dedicated reading device at that point, it will likely be the Kindle. They're picking up content sales from people they likely wouldn't have gotten as customers anyway and easing in new customers that were balking at the price.

Personally, I don't always have my Kindle with me. If I'm pretty sure I won't have any downtime where I can read during the day or don't want to carry a bag, then the Kindle stays at home. If I find myself with a few spare minutes I may amuse myself by reading the news or something on my HTC Mogul but I would prefer if I could synch up with my book. I'm really excited about this feature.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote