Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #1036
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I like OverDrive but am disappointed that downloaded books no longer accommodate highlighting, note-taking, or searching within the book. AFAIK, only the OverDrive Read (in your browser) version offers those features now.

I also wish OverDrive could be linked to one's onboard dictionary, so that even when offline one could click on a word to look up its meaning.
If you are talking about the Overdrive Android app there are others out there like Mantano or Aldiko you can read library books on. There might be others but these I know Mantano allows all that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #1037
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Every book I d/l on Kindle let's me do all that. Amazon even saves those notes after the borrowed book is returned - and if you reborrow same book or buy it, it remembers.
I used to be able to do all that using the OverDrive app on my NOOK Tablet (which I replaced with a NOOK HD last summer). Because I can no longer highlight or take notes in the OverDrive app I use to read borrowed library books on either the NOOK HD or on my Samsung GS4, and because a review of the OverDrive website mentions those capabilities when discussing OverDrive Read but not when discussing the OverDrive Android app, I think it's the OverDrive app version I'm using, and not my devices, that accounts for OverDrive's diminished capabilities.

Last edited by Froide; 09-03-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #1038
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I used to be able to do all that using the OverDrive app on my NOOK Tablet (which I replaced with a NOOK HD last summer). Because I can no longer highlight or take notes in the OverDrive app I use to read borrowed library books on either the NOOK HD or on my Samsung GS4, and because a review of the OverDrive website mentions those capabilities when discussing OverDrive Read but not when discussing the OverDrive Android app, I think it's the OverDrive app version I'm using, and not my devices, that accounts for OverDrive's diminished capabilities.
Oh, I see. The only reason OverDrive is useful to me is the ability to read books on eink kindle - if I had to depend on an app, even kindle app, I would not be reading as much. I am used to my eink book, but not sure I want to convert to apps on phone or tablet.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #1039
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you are talking about the Overdrive Android app there are others out there like Mantano or Aldiko you can read library books on. There might be others but these I know Mantano allows all that.
Thanks, Blossom. Yes, I'm using OverDrive's Android app. Do you read OverDrive books in Aldiko/Mantano/etc. by downloading the file borrowed from your library's OverDrive collection to the "books" folder in your device, and then opening it with your ereader app of choice?

Last edited by Froide; 09-03-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #1040
Froide
Wizard

HOLD FEATURE UPDATES
Received via email September 5, 2014:

Quote:
Have you heard about our updated features?

OverDrive recently introduced two new features to make it even easier for you to borrow and enjoy in-demand titles from your library’s digital collection.

Automatic hold borrowing – You can turn this feature on for titles you’ve placed on hold so you no longer have to worry about missing the window for picking up holds.
Learn more.http://overdrive.cmail2.com/t/d-l-siddkd-vdinddt-y/

Suspend a hold – When you suspend a hold, you’ll continue to move up the waiting list for your chosen title, but the system won’t fill your hold until the suspension period is over. This makes sure that you won’t receive a title until you’re ready for it.
Learn more.http://overdrive.cmail2.com/t/d-l-siddkd-vdinddt-j/

Make sure to take advantage of these great features to manage everything on your reading list. And take a look below for some great book suggestions.

Last edited by Froide; 09-06-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #1041
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
My library system is also using the new Overdrive design and while it is not super beautiful, the site is massively improved compared to the old version. Finding what I want to read and checking it out is now much more simple.

I haven't checked in forever. So this is an excellent development. Used to be god-awful.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #1042
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
My library system is also using the new Overdrive design and while it is not super beautiful, the site is massively improved compared to the old version. Finding what I want to read and checking it out is now much more simple.

I haven't checked in forever. So this is an excellent development. Used to be god-awful.
Don't all OverDrive libraries look exactly the same? Only difference is the content that each library has?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #1043
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll be taking advantage of the new hold feature when I go on vacation at the end of October.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #1044
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Don't all OverDrive libraries look exactly the same? Only difference is the content that each library has?
Not necessarily. When Overdrive starts updating the interface, they don't release that interface to all libraries at the same time.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #1045
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Not necessarily. When Overdrive starts updating the interface, they don't release that interface to all libraries at the same time.
And not all libraries want to upgrade right away. I have seen some libraries that are missing features that other libraries have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #1046
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I was referring to the fact that: I am unaware of when they last purchased a book for their OverDrive catalog, but it was probably at least a year ago, was certainly before I got the card from my friend, and their catalog sucks, so... yeah, they ditched it and it is now a rotting corpse. Of course, it still has some meat left on it.

Other libraries may not have such great catalogs either, but they are actively building them, and getting new releases. Both of which are crucial.
Never mind, I was wrong. They are building their catalog -- the Chinese language section, at least.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #1047
Froide
Wizard

[QUOTE=glendalekid;2337747]Overdrive Read appears to be a way to read the book on a browser. Would this be for tablets or phones?
QUOTE]

OverDrive Read allows one to read in the web browser on his/her tablet, phone, or computer, and to sync reading progress, highlights, notes, and bookmarks across devices.

Sounds great, but:
  • One who uses multiple browsers must remember which browser(s) s/he downloaded his/her OverDrive Read book(s) to.
  • Clearing one's browser cache deletes the OverDrive Read books, requiring those books to be downloaded again. [Woe is s/he who forgets this during, say, a camping trip, where there's no Internet service]
  • OverDrive Media Console (the on-device app) does not document books borrowed using OverDrive Read. And vice versa.
  • Perhaps in an effort to coax people to adopt OverDrive Read, the company removed from OverDrive Media Console and now exclusively offers in OverDrive Read the abilities to highlight, take notes, and conduct on-device (in contrast to online) dictionary look-ups.

Last edited by Froide; 04-01-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #1048
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've gotten a new message when downloading a Kindle book that I didn't get maybe a week or so ago.

Quote:
Kindle Users:
By selecting "Confirm & Download" you will be leaving the library's download platform to a third party service.
This third party service may not have the same policies as the library does regarding privacy or management of your user information.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #1049
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've gotten a new message when downloading a Kindle book that I didn't get maybe a week or so ago.
They're just reminding you that Amazon sells your data to the NSA (be careful what you read)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #1050
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They're just reminding you that Amazon sells your data to the NSA (be careful what you read)
They're just remindung you that Amazon sells your data to the NSA in addition to them selling your data to the NSA.

Personal freedoms aside (or the inexistence thereof), it's typical to alert to a difference in the privacy policy when linking to an external page, meaning a page that is part of another website.

Last edited by xendula; 12-26-2014 at 03:42 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote