Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #76
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibahbuzemann View Post

Count on a nominal € = $ parity and then try to order out of state. That still works to avoid sales tax, doesn't it? I read somewhere they were trying to make it harder.
Even at US$169, Sony had better be bringing something more to the game than we've seen in those pics and specs. (No 350/950 followups? Are they collapsing the line to one model?)
Bear in mind that Kobo has been aggresively improving the firmware of the Kobo Touch (US$129) and Nook (US$139) has way better ergonomics and a stylus, too, plus it's hackable to get to the android underpinnings. Both have way better stores.

If this is all there is...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #77
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
If they make a 350 size with an SD card slot, I'll buy it, I hardly care the price. I've gone from "meh, guess I'll buy a 950" earlier in the year to loving it more than I would love my hypothetical children.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #78
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamyris View Post

Not bad, but I like the look of the current one a little more. This new one looks like a picture frame with a curved bottom. The buttons on the bottom are in the same position as the current model so kudos for Sony on keeping that in intact.
(though I do know that some do not like the turn bottons on the left, im left handed and love the position of the buttons)

I have a new 650 in the box(which I think i will now keep) and my girlfriend also has a 650. They are the perfect size and shape and I love the metal front.

This new one will be great though for those who do not have a sony.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #79
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, I'm glad that I'm so happy with my 650, because I can't see anything in this that would make me want to upgrade.

Plastic....sigh.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #80
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well, I'm glad that I'm so happy with my 650, because I can't see anything in this that would make me want to upgrade.

Plastic....sigh.
Agreed. It is almost exactly the same as current models, except for the look ,wifi and pinch to zoom.

Though I did not expect anything more. Most black and white eink ereaders have hit a ceiling when it concerns features IMO. Theres not much more than can do to really improve them.

When color comes along that may change but by that point most people would probably just get a tablet if they want color.

Last edited by Tony1988; 08-27-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #81
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
It will be interesting to see price of the new Sony ereader down under. Normally, us Aussies are ripped off by electronic device prices. and the PRS-650 retailed here for AU$299.

If the new ereader cost comes in at the $229 (price of the PRS-350), then more would consider it as a purchase.

The Kindle 3 now retails locally for $159 and the new Kobo Touch is rumoured to be par or sub that in cost, once released here for sale.

It is good to see Sony not falling in with the so called experts demanding multi-function LCD tablets instead of dedicated devices.

Last edited by sabredog; 08-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #82
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Looks alright. Swish design. Better UI (and about time) But metal case is best. I retain my rosy 650 owner's glow

If I was in the market atm, I think I'd be looking at the Nook. Android compatible, what a toy!

Last edited by Rizla; 08-27-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #83
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Looks alright. Swish design. Better UI (and about time) But metal case is best. I retain my rosy 650 owner's glow
Speaking of UI, that's what I'm most curious to see now, the main menu, etc... I wonder if it'll be the same exact thing as current gen....
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #84
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And what do you suppose the odds are they upgraded the ADE so it'll read B&N ebooks without hacking?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #85
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I'm really hoping this means that Amazon is going to announce a new Kindle soon -and I mean really soon, within the next few day- maybe Sony wanted to beat them to it, get some sales from people who were tired of waiting all summer?
Oh God! Me too! But I'm squirming! Those devs at Kobo had me SOOOO convinced they would fix the MOST importnent feature: Searching within the text I'm reading. They just cadged and promised... and never lived up.

It would(could, ... still) become available in august... 3 days left.

I just doubt..... Ach F*

The Kobo will cost 139€

The new Sony 169€ ??

Any new Kindle ???

The blue blot on my screen has stoped growing, I can live with it a few weeks more.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #86
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
And what do you suppose the odds are they upgraded the ADE so it'll read B&N ebooks without hacking?
If by "they" you mean Sony, I doubt it. ADE is an Adobe product.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If by "they" you mean Sony, I doubt it. ADE is an Adobe product.

BOb
I don't follow you, Bob. The previous poster was simply asking what the likelihood is that the new Sony will use the current version of Adobe's reading software. That current version now includes the capability of using the B&N-style credit-card encryption key. Anyone who licences the firmware from Adobe (as Sony do) can have this capability if they wish to - it's a standard part of Adobe's offering now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #88
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Comparison: the K3, if I were to order that, would be €135. So, €165 isn't so bad a price.
When you order the K3 (Wifi only), by the time it arrives here in Holland you probably have paid €150.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #89
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Disappointing. Wi-fi is standard on previous generation models of other brands.
I was kind of expecting a color e-ink screen and maybe a 7'' screen.
Color E-ink isn't production ready.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #90
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The previous poster was simply asking what the likelihood is that the new Sony will use the current version of Adobe's reading software.
Yep, that's what I meant.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs