Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
MorrisTheCat
MorrisTheCat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh dear. I am out of the USA with a new iPad.

Annoyingly I cannot download the Free B&N e-reader from iPad AppStore. I have a couple of B&N e-books paid for genuine TextBooks i need to refer to.

I guess all i would need is a copy of the .ipa file to install the Barnes and Noble "Nook for iPad" reader into my iPad. My iPad went faulty and was exchanged FOC (that was a process) and for some reason the only thing i cannot now obtain is the free B&N App.

Any ideas anyone? I have searched everywhere. Thanks in advance.
MorrisTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Just create a second iTunes account, tell it you are in the US, and do not set any payment method. Signing in as that account will allow you to download any free apps from the US store.
The B&N app itself will prevent you from buying any books unless you use a VPN to acquire a US IP address.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
MorrisTheCat
MorrisTheCat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Just create a second iTunes account, tell it you are in the US, and do not set any payment method. Signing in as that account will allow you to download any free apps from the US store.
The B&N app itself will prevent you from buying any books unless you use a VPN to acquire a US IP address.
iTunes has tweaked their options such that you MUST select a payment method (there is no way to leave things blank)_ and you must enter a US address with telephone number (plus matching Area Code)....

I appreciate Security but...

All i need is the .ipa of the app Nook for iPad which should be lying in the iTunes ---> Mobile Applications on any Mac machine that has downloaded it from the Apple Store in the US so that it was later sync'd to the owner's iPad.
MorrisTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
I have this issue since I am in Canada frequently. I get around this on my laptop by connecting via a proxy that says I am in the US such as Proxy for Free. I believe that should work on the ipad. Just enter the web address of where you want to shop or access.
If that doesn’t work from the ipad, if you have access to a computer use a proxy site to purchase and email the book to yourself.
Would you mind letting us know if the proxy access works in the ipad? I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Good luck
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisTheCat View Post
iTunes has tweaked their options such that you MUST select a payment method (there is no way to leave things blank)_ and you must enter a US address with telephone number (plus matching Area Code)....
There's a known workaround for this (I use it myself):

1. Log out from the app store.
2. Go to the US store, and try to install any free app (even the Nook app itself).
3. Choose to create a new account.
4. Fill all the required info, giving a bogus US address (just take it from any hotel website).
5. On the Payment Method screen, the "None" option will be available. Select it, and fill out the billing address (see above).

Now you'll be able to download any free app from the US store using this account. Please note that you must create the account after trying to install the app. Only then you can choose "None" as a payment method.

Hope this helps.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert