Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
amboman52
amboman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle and sharing accounts

Hi All,
I have just purchased a Kindle for my wife and initially I intended to just add it to my account, but as she is an independant woman, I figured I would let her set up her own account (and pay for her own books!). Now, the question is - can we have two Kindles on two separate accounts but also "cross registered" so that we can share books?
Cheers
amboman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Not exactly but sort of. You can change the account that it's registered to at any time. It won't automatically delete the books that are already on there. For example, she can deregister her Kindle from her account, then register it to your account (via the Kindle settings or via the Manage Your Kindle page for your account) and access the books you have archived on your account, then register back to her account. It will screw up the syncing, though, so that's something to consider. You also won't be able to share books purchased from other sites this way, if that's an issue, but you can't do that with a shared account either.

It's kind of a pain if you're going to do it often, but as far as I know your only other options would be a shared account, or stripping the DRM and sharing them all from a folder on your computer.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
what my esteemed colleague above has said is correct. my son and I do this. I would, however, suggest that you might try staying on the same account at least to start with. it might be a lot less cumbersome than you think. if it just isn't working, then split off
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
My hubby and I share an account. This way we can share all of the books even if we may not want to read all of them.

I have also de-DRM'd our *.azw books so that I could also read them on the Nook Color. Depending on how many books you have in your library, it could take a few minutes to a few hours. I had around 500 books and it was a 12 hour task for me...
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Kindle Worm
Enthusiast
Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Seems to me that sharing an account would be easier between my wife and I. We don't like the same materials but only managing one account would be easier.
Kindle Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert