Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Sony getting out of eBooks buisiness ?

There is some strange rumor flying around about some letter from Sony to distributors notifying about ending it's eBook buiseness.

Personally I think it's hard to believe especially in light of recent MAC support announcement and expectations for bigger screen reader but the rumor comes from several sources closed to the distributors.
So, there is something probably behind it - either some major misunderstanding (I hope) or ...
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
There is some strange rumor flying around about some letter from Sony to distributors notifying about ending it's eBook business.

Personally I think it's hard to believe especially in light of recent MAC support announcement and expectations for bigger screen reader but the rumor comes from several sources closed to the distributors.
So, there is something probably behind it - either some major misunderstanding (I hope) or ...
I think this is not true. Sony would not be letting slip bits about new Readers if they were. maybe Sony is ending the 505. That could possibly be true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think this is not true. Sony would not be letting slip bits about new Readers if they were. maybe Sony is ending the 505. That could possibly be true.
Actually, word is that Sony are discontinuing the 700! Someone from Adorama Camera (adorama.com) posted on another thread that their order for 700's has remained unfilled, and they were informed the 700 was being discontinued:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50402

Also, the 700 is listed as Discontinued at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ital_Book.html

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 07-08-2009 at 05:49 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
The 700 is not being discontinued by Sony according to the two reps from Sony that I talked to this week. See this thread for more details.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I believe the 700 is being replaced by a newer model in the coming months.

Word on the street is that Sony is happy with sales at the Sony Store. They're applying some muscle to get publishers to send them books faster.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Both the reps I talked with made it quite clear that the 700 is a top seller and is going no where. They both talked about the new model being a third model and not a replacement for the 700.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
Both the reps I talked with made it quite clear that the 700 is a top seller and is going no where. They both talked about the new model being a third model and not a replacement for the 700.
I did see that thread.

Could be what I heard were just rumors but they were from folks in the know. Time will tell.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hope they're just rumours! I've got 3 Sony's.

I'd hate to pull the trigger on a Kindle.

See whine thread.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote