Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Idea: Morphing Karmic Avatars

Inspired by the little dragon sig game I've been playing, I was thinking about a service that would allow one to register for a "morphing" avatar. The idea would be that you'd register and get a link to a gif, and the more views the gif got, the more the image would grow and change. For example, you might start with a seed, which would sprout, then put out a few leaves... and eventually you'd have a forest with trees, and perhaps a few unicorns or something. There could be a number of different base images, and a certain amount of randomization in which elements would get added, so hopefully everyone's avatars would each be at least somewhat different. You could use this remote avatar on any online forum or blog that allows remote avatars.

The "karma" part comes in this way: ideally someone could click on the avatar, and add karma to it, just as we do here at MR, but I don't think most forum software will allow us to make the avatars clickable (or allow any other fancy scripting). So there would be a link to put in your sig line like "Click here to help my avatar grow", and clicking it would take a viewer to a page where they could add karma to that user, possibly in different categories. Visitor karma would make an avatar grow more than just repeated views. But the cool thing is that anyone visiting from any site could add karma, and it would display wherever your avatar displays.

It was just a little mental doodle I was thinking about as I was dozing off last night, but if anyone else likes the idea, I might pursue it....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Inspired by the little dragon sig game I've been playing, I was thinking about a service that would allow one to register for a "morphing" avatar. The idea would be that you'd register and get a link to a gif, and the more views the gif got, the more the image would grow and change. For example, you might start with a seed, which would sprout, then put out a few leaves... and eventually you'd have a forest with trees, and perhaps a few unicorns or something. There could be a number of different base images, and a certain amount of randomization in which elements would get added, so hopefully everyone's avatars would each be at least somewhat different. You could use this remote avatar on any online forum or blog that allows remote avatars.

The "karma" part comes in this way: ideally someone could click on the avatar, and add karma to it, just as we do here at MR, but I don't think most forum software will allow us to make the avatars clickable (or allow any other fancy scripting). So there would be a link to put in your sig line like "Click here to help my avatar grow", and clicking it would take a viewer to a page where they could add karma to that user, possibly in different categories. Visitor karma would make an avatar grow more than just repeated views. But the cool thing is that anyone visiting from any site could add karma, and it would display wherever your avatar displays.

It was just a little mental doodle I was thinking about as I was dozing off last night, but if anyone else likes the idea, I might pursue it....
That sounds cool! certainly more elevating than what you are putting up with in the Dragoon Cave!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
just as long as there is no soft-shell sickness involved, it would be really annoying to see everybody's avatar hidden by fog...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
just as long as there is no soft-shell sickness involved, it would be really annoying to see everybody's avatar hidden by fog...
Inspired by Zelda´s avatars I would suggest that everybody starts naked; by adding karma to a person he or she will put on left and right socks. The more socks you wear the higher your karma.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
Inspired by Zelda´s avatars I would suggest that everybody starts naked; by adding karma to a person he or she will put on left and right socks. The more socks you wear the higher your karma.
I would think that quite the oposite direction would be more popular around here...

Last edited by pshrynk; 01-22-2009 at 03:38 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i like it. also we could have tall socks and short socks ; start with short socks which get taller as karma rises, then a second pair of short socks on top, they would grow taller as well, then a third pair... etc.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At first all avatars show people (naked or not, pshrynk may decide). After certain amounts of time you spent in the lounge your avatar will mutate into a llama. Very slowly, of course (first you´ll get llama ears, then llama teeth, a llama nose, llama eyes and so on).
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
At first all avatars show people (naked or not, pshrynk may decide). After certain amounts of time you spent in the lounge your avatar will mutate into a llama. Very slowly, of course (first you´ll get llama ears, then llama teeth, a llama nose, llama eyes and so on).
best idea yet ! (just don't forget the ffedora. after all, what is a llounge llama without a ffedora ?)
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
ravenne
Wizard

Quote:
best idea yet ! (just don't forget the ffedora. after all, what is a llounge llama without a ffedora ?)
Yes, but headdresses should be variable.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought we morphed into cyborg pandas?

Definitely a variety of socks and headgear.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmm... Mighty Morphin' Karmic Avatars. I like it! Someone get Hasbro on the line.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Oh, and definitely no "soft shell disease" nonsense.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Oh, and definitely no "soft shell disease" nonsense.
the more i hear the better it sounds.

(i think there should be morphing into llamas *and* cyborg pandas !! it could be random, like the headwear.)
Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
the more i hear the better it sounds.

(i think there should be morphing into llamas *and* cyborg pandas !! it could be random, like the headwear.)
You could have genetic engineering so you have the possibility of mutating into a cyborg llanda...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Some kind of random silliness, definitely. I need to think about how to code the image manipulation so the parts all fit together well enough but everyone can end up with a different result.