Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Can I jailbreak PW 5.3.0?

Hi, I just received the kindle paperwhite and is already updated to 5.3.0, can I do the jailbreak or it is impossible with this version? I can't find a thread about this.

Is there a way to downgrade to 5.2.0?

Thank you
zavidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
currently no. not without serial access

EDIT: And now you can

Nice one!

Last edited by twobob; 01-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

it is so difficult to obtain serial access? I try to find something but obtain only info about SERIAL number eheh
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196151

lots' of info on here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=143 would be report around the issue.

and then success https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=152

have a dig. KNC1, GM and others have all discussed the issue
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavidos View Post
it is so difficult to obtain serial access? I try to find something but obtain only info about SERIAL number eheh
Kindle Developer's Corner Master Index =>
Hardware =>
Serial Port =>
Kindle Paperwhite

Four clicks from here (where "click" != "kilometer")
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
zavidos

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=4
so I have to open my kindle???
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes.
That is the best way to get inside of the case.

Go to the video linked in the first post of that same thread.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
zavidos

I think I will wait till jailbreak of 5.3.0, usually require lot of time like the ios one? How can I prevent the autoupgrade if another firmware come out? Only with airplane mode?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I think I will wait till jailbreak of 5.3.0, usually require lot of time like the ios one?
It depends. For the older versions, bugs that were exploitable to allow for a jailbreak were relatively easy to find, but Amazon gradually fixed all of them.

I have been searching for exploits for two weeks now, and I did not find anything that can be used for jailbreaking 5.3.0. I officially give up now, maybe someone else is better/luckier than I am at this.

Quote:
How can I prevent the autoupgrade if another firmware come out? Only with airplane mode?
Airplane mode is the easiest measure, but you could also selectively disable or remove part of the programs that play together for the OTA update (No, I can't tell you which ones these are off the top of my head).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I have been searching for exploits for two weeks now, and I did not find anything that can be used for jailbreaking 5.3.0. I officially give up now, maybe someone else is better/luckier than I am at this.
I'd like to say: you've made a great work in tries for finding jailbreak vector. Thanks for your investigations, it was interesting to follow them!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@ixtab

is it possible for a firmware/OS to be so "well" written that it can't be jailbroken?
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@ixtab

is it possible for a firmware/OS to be so "well" written that it can't be jailbroken?
In principle, yes - even if that is *very* difficult. Essentially, it would mean that there is absolutely no "exploitable" bug anywhere, in any of the code.

I'm actually convinced that such a bug exists, somewhere, also in 5.3.0. The difficulty lies in actually finding it. Mind you, I did find multiple different bugs of varying severity* in 5.3.0, but none of them is severe enough to be used as a jailbreak vector.

(*) No, I'm not going to disclose them publicly. But don't worry: these things are being discussed internally, in a small circle of expert developers.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
@ixtab

In the case of Unix and its derivative and "work a likes" (such as Linux), a qualified: YES.

The qualification:
No system can be secure if the system's operator console is accessible.

In this case, see the indexed information on accessing the serial port (which becomes the system's operator console once Linux boots).

- - - -

The above is the general answer, a more specific answer - - -

Here (at Mobileread) the "jailbreak" method(s) are expected to be run by any end-user, regardless of knowledge or skill levels.

Such a qualification eliminates the use of the serial console.
With this additional qualification, the answer is: "Yes, It can be locked from end-user alteration".

In fact, without even trying very hard.

As a contrast, see how many success stories you can find of anyone "jailbreaking" the OS on the Qualcom SoC that runs your 3G card.

It is also a signed binary, only in that case the signature verification is done in hardware buried inside the chip.
Something the Kindle SoC could also do, but Amazon does not use that feature. Which is what I meant above by "without even trying very hard".

Last edited by knc1; 11-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
zavidos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It depends. For the older versions, bugs that were exploitable to allow for a jailbreak were relatively easy to find, but Amazon gradually fixed all of them.

Airplane mode is the easiest measure, but you could also selectively disable or remove part of the programs that play together for the OTA update (No, I can't tell you which ones these are off the top of my head).

Thank you very much for answers
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446