Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #26746
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I got my new external USB 3 hard drive to store my films, tv series and photographs. I hook it up and start copying files. And I'm a bit underwhelmed by the speed, it isn't much faster than USB 2.

After copying the first batch I decide to check if I hooked it up to the right port with the aid of a flashlight and indeed, I had connected it to a USB 2 port . The USB 3 port is blue but the manufacturers of the motherboard decided to make the USB 2 ports a dark gray. When it's dark (like behind my computer) the gray and blue are very similar.

Luckily it now works, it isn't ten times as fast as they say USB 3 is, but it's a lot faster than USB 2.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #26747
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
What speed did you actually obtain?

My external backup hard drive (a vintage, 3.5 inch 2008 Western Digital 1TB) has a maximum speed of about 34 MB/s; my second backup drive (a 2010 2.5 inch WD 1TB) attains around 28 MB/s.

I've been thinking to upgrade this old desktop computer with a USB 3 add-in card and maybe replace the old backup hard drives, but only if I can get at least 75 MB/s out of it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #26748
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When it was hooked up to USB 2 it reached 28 mb/s max. When connected to USB 3 it was between 100 and 110 mb/s. It did take longer to get reach it's max speed than with USB 2.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #26749
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If you're on Windows, it's because Windows throttles the bandwidth by doing like 95% data, and 5% feedback. For as long as the feedback data comes back 100%, Windows keeps throttling up the bandwidth.
The moment the feedback starts returning null values, Windows will either slow down, or maintain the speed.

On older systems, Windows would send data at max speed, but sometimes when the bandwidth throttle down because maybe some other activity was taking up bandwidth, and it would never throttle back up (think Windows 95 and perhaps the first editions of Win 98).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #26750
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
If you're on Windows, it's because Windows throttles the bandwidth by doing like 95% data, and 5% feedback. For as long as the feedback data comes back 100%, Windows keeps throttling up the bandwidth.
The moment the feedback starts returning null values, Windows will either slow down, or maintain the speed.

On older systems, Windows would send data at max speed, but sometimes when the bandwidth throttle down because maybe some other activity was taking up bandwidth, and it would never throttle back up (think Windows 95 and perhaps the first editions of Win 98).
Do you have a link to official documentation regarding this behavior? It would explain some things I've seen over the years, with drives not reaching expected speeds all the time.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #26751
queenofspades
queenofspades began at the beginning.

Device: none
Noisy roommates...mine is always noisy in the morning, bashing about the kitchen without thinking that I don't have to get up for another few hours. Grrrr.
queenofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #26752
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Nature of roommates, I'm afraid. I used to work graveyard with a roommate who worked days. THAT didn't last! Fortunately, I was able to keep the apartment by working some overtime and didn't need to get another one.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #26753
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I had planned on sleeping in this Sunday.

However, after less than three hours of sleep I was woken up by a very loud ticking coming from my other room. When I investigated I found out it was leaking. Not next to the window, where it occasionally leaks when it's raining really hard or if the wind is from a certain direction, but in the middle of the room. Only several inches from my desk (where my computer stands).

I was lucky, I guess. There was a stack of cardboard boxes there that had accumulated over the last couple of month and it was dripping right on a flap, which made the noise. It's dry now and the leaking seems to have stopped. But more rain is coming, so no more sleep for me. I can't go into the attic, because the lightbulb is broken and I don't fancy searching by flashlight.

Hopefully it's an easy thing to fix; a window that's been blown open in the hard wind last night or a tile that's shifted. When it's light enough I'll go upstairs and see if I can locate the leak and put a bucket underneath it. (But knowing my luck it'll be something not easily fixed) My father and sister have planned a trip tomorrow, to Ikea and for my sister to practice driving the car. I hope they'll be back in time for my father to check out the problem. On Monday it's going to rain a lot, so hopefully some solution is found.

I did get something done in the past hour of waiting for the rain to start again. I finally cleared the pile of boxes, divided them into a pile of small boxes, cardboard and paper that I can throw away in the recycle bin and a pile of bigger boxes that can go to one of our suppliers.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #26754
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

The leak is temporarily fixed.

When it was light I went to the attic and found the area where it had leaked (very wet). Because the roof is made of dark wood it's really hard to see where it exactly came from but my suspicion was either a shifted tile or a leaky window.

Later I went upstairs with my father and he climbed to the roof to get a closer look, he also concluded that it was the window, though it wasn't leaky. The window itself is one of those that is made out of plastic and it falls over the from like a hood. It had blown off, probably during the storm earlier in the week. I should have known when I went upstairs the first time; I could see the sky clearly, which has never happened before since that window is almost horizontal is is always dirty.

We searched for the window but couldn't find so it's now boarded up and tomorrow we're going to order a replacement.

It's a miracle that it didn't start leaking earlier with all the rain that has fallen this week. Most likely my old mattress, that was standing underneath the window, has soaked up a lot of water.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #26755
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Just a slight vent to remind myself that I cannot tell my mother that doing her homework late at night is not a good idea and just because she didn't like the reading is no reason to put off her homework until the last minute.
Note my mother is going to college. She will be a senior senior next year. Right now she is a senior junior.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #26756
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Do you have a link to official documentation regarding this behavior? It would explain some things I've seen over the years, with drives not reaching expected speeds all the time.
It should for Windows Vista and up.
Even Windows XP has bandwidth control.

My response stems from an article I read almost a decade ago on a tech site, but it's not a very well spoken topic on the internet...

I don't have a specific article, but XP has QoS on their internet bandwidth
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/316666

They applied a similar technology on USB bandwidth control, but I couldn't find a lot of data about it.

Here's more info about USB transfer speeds and packet sizes:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

I think more specific answers you'd have to find googling.

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-29-2015 at 11:29 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #26757
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Some people can be so rigid. I am angry right now because I have to be the only (library) employee at the library at this satellite campus. Thankfully this is only once a week.

The problem with this is lunch. I know we can ask people to leave and take our lunch but I have a hard time doing that. I try to wait until there are no patrons but there is usually always 1 or 2. A few times, I have asked them to leave and come back in 1/2 an hour, so I can have lunch. I have never taken a full hour.

What is enraging me right at the moment. I was fussed at, by the librarian, who is based on another campus and does Fridays here, previously for not taking my lunch. Well, today I didn't anticipate any trouble finding a vacant time to get in 1/2 hour. No such luck. I was about to see about 1 patron and maybe ask them to leave for lunch when the tutor came in with a student to use a study room. Well, now it is 3pm. I didn't feel I could kick the tutor out.

The aforementioned fellow librarian calls me to check up. She asks me if I had my lunch. I told her about the tutor and said I was thinking, leave at 4 rather than 4:30. She was somewhat upset by the suggestion. "Our hours are 8 to 4:30!"

This makes absolutely no sense to me. If I had a blank time or told the tutor to come back in 1/2 hour, I would have closed the place for 1/2 hour, anyway. I don't see the difference. Doesn't matter at this point. I just can't wait to get out of here.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #26758
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Not to trample on your rantiness, but my reaction is that the library should have a stated time, every day, when it is closed for lunch. I know as a patron, I wouldn't be happy to show up at a library when I had every expectation that it would be open, only to find it closed.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #26759
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Not to trample on your rantiness, but my reaction is that the library should have a stated time, every day, when it is closed for lunch. I know as a patron, I wouldn't be happy to show up at a library when I had every expectation that it would be open, only to find it closed.
Oh, I know! If she really wants people to get their lunches, then there should be a set, scheduled time the library is closed for lunch. That would accustom the patrons to it being closed at that time, sure. I suggested that. She didn't want to hear it for some reason, yet is aghast when I don't/can't take my lunch.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #26760
covingtoncat73
Wizard

I truly don't know why they didn't set that up when they knew this was going to be a 1-librarian show for awhile. At least I only have to be at this location one day a week.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-03-2015 at 03:15 AM. Reason: reverted to original text

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness