Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #76
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Has anyone noticed something diferent about the way the screen is being redrawn with this version?

It seems to me that there is some sort of fade in/out type action going on, it is quite noticable on my Glo if I go to the home screen and toggle between the Reading and Bookstore pages.

It is quite nice and smooth, but maybe a bit slower to switch between screens than before?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
This might make me look rather foolish (I'm not an expert on the non-iOS side of things here), but can someone just clarify what is / is not working here?

From what I can tell, a normally synced book (synced via the desktop app, or via wifi on the device), will display the book title at the top of every page of the book.

If you manually add, ie; side-load a book (.epub extension?) then prior to v2.5.2, you would not see the book title at the top of every page of the book. With v2.5.2, you now DO see the book title at the top of every page.

Is that about right?
More than happy to be given full-on technical explanations of what is being done, and what used to (prior to 2.5.2) "work" in relation to book title not being displayed, and what is now happening.

Please note that I cannot promise that I can do anything about this, be it getting the info in front of the right people, or providing any feedback as to what is happening or why.
That is about right:

- kepubs have always had the title at the top of the screen.
- epubs have never had this until 2.5.2. With 2.5.2, the title is there.

This change turned up in the latest beta with no explanation for it. And our displeasure was expressed. Or at least mine was
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #78
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is about right:

- kepubs have always had the title at the top of the screen.
- epubs have never had this until 2.5.2. With 2.5.2, the title is there.

This change turned up in the latest beta with no explanation for it. And our displeasure was expressed. Or at least mine was
I was about ready to dump my Paperwhite and buy the Aura until I saw how much of the extra screen real estate was wasted, both top and bottom. When I discovered that I could minimise this by using epubs instead of kepubs, I was again considering the Aura. With news of this latest development, I will definitely not be buying a Kobo, after all, what is the point of having the extra screen space when it is then wasted just to tell you something you already know. I will stay with my 6" screen that can be virtually all used to display the text I am reading - reading, it is the reason I bought the device after all.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #79
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
A question for those who have upgraded - is the title at the top of an epub the one generated by Calibre's metadata plugboard thingie, with series info (if configured as such) like shown in the Library view, or is it a title embedded in the epub?
The series info is not included. But it is based on what you put into the metadata. Titles I've changed using calibre's metadata editing, are so edited appropriately when displayed at the top of the epub.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #80
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
2.5.3??

Just went to update to Calibre 0.9.30, and the release notes say that it now supports Kobo firmware version 2.5.3? I'm guessing this is just a typo...

"Kobo driver: Add support for showing 'Archived' books on the device. Also up the supported firmware version to 2.5.3."
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #81
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm also downgrading to 2.5.1 because I don't like that header displayed above normal epubs.
I must say that I'm a little bit shocked that Kobo doesn't listen to members of the beta group.

Headers and footers
  • make the display of the header and footer optional and let the user decide to show or hide it. When hidden, allocate this free space to the reading area so more text lines are displayed on the screen (full screen mode).
  • make the header and the footer smaller in size by moving the text in the header and footer closer to the edge of the screen without changing the font size. Using a slightly smaller font size for the footer text frees up even more space. Also the vertical margins of the header and footer are relatively wide and can be made smaller. To avoid compromizing the tapping area of icons these should be positioned/aligned horizontally slightly wider from each other.
Page margins
  • the user agent (ua) minimum page margin should be 0, as page margins are normally defined in the epub itself (by the publisher, and may be to big or to small, but are rarely 0.).
  • the kobo ua offers to adjust the left and right page margin. Add this feature for the top and bottom page margin too.

At the moment the Kobo ua minimum page margin is > 0. When the left/right page margins are set to its minimum (using the slider) there is still a (default) margin. The absolute minimum margin should be set to 0 (see bullit one in the list).
I have no problem if Kobo decides to set their default ua page margin to, let's say 0.5em (let's asume that is Kobos current default setting) as long as the user can reduce this margin to 0.

Code:
ua page margins + epub defined page margins = displayed book margins

Last edited by Anak; 05-10-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #82
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, although I'm not die-hard against having the title at the top of epubs (since I read kepubs sometimes and it doesn't really bother me with them), I have to say it really really sucks when the epub is DRMed with extra margins at the top already. My epubs don't have this, so it's just adding a little extra space at the top.

BUT, since I feel it's not right to remove library DRM, the library book I'm reading at the mo is SOO ugly with the new title and I can't fit a whole page (ADE definition of whole page) on the screen anymore. It has 11mm at the top and 19mm at the bottom....so 3 cm of about 12....that's ONE QUARTER of the screen not being used now (not including the embedded side margins). That's ridic.
I was already upset with the update (2.4?) that suddenly made me not be able to change the font in this series of books (I know, I know, they were probably just changing it to make it listen to the code, but I hate the font this series uses...)....
Anyway the point is, it's super annoying for those who don't modify their epubs or don't want to remove DRM just to stop insanity. ARG.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Just went to update to Calibre 0.9.30, and the release notes say that it now supports Kobo firmware version 2.5.3? I'm guessing this is just a typo...

"Kobo driver: Add support for showing 'Archived' books on the device. Also up the supported firmware version to 2.5.3."
No, it isn't a typo and 2.5.3 doesn't exist. It is to do with how I maintain the driver. I forgot the number would appear in the release notes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #84
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post

Headers and footers
  • make the display of the header and footer optional and let the user decide to show or hide it. When hidden, allocate this free space to the reading area so more text lines are displayed on the screen (full screen mode).
Now this makes sense...I mean even just using the term "full screen mode"....no one at Kobo can claim that concept is too complicated for the average user to give them this option! Almost any screen based gadget has this option SOMEWHERE....even our Kobos do, with the covers in sleep mode!!

PERFECT SOLUTION!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #85
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
never mind... posted in error!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #86
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
after all, what is the point of having the extra screen space when it is then wasted just to tell you something you already know.
I can only tell you that I read at a smaller font size on my Aura than I used to on my Kobo - and comfortably so.

Comparing one chapter of book (KePub format) set to a comfortably readable font size (not the same size) that's 75 pages (Touch) to 48 pages (Aura). At about the same font size it's still 61 to 45 pages (a little hard to judge if the font size is really the same).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #87
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, it isn't a typo and 2.5.3 doesn't exist. It is to do with how I maintain the driver. I forgot the number would appear in the release notes.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #88
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
The series info is not included. But it is based on what you put into the metadata. Titles I've changed using calibre's metadata editing, are so edited appropriately when displayed at the top of the epub.
Thanks, that answers my question.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #89
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Does anybody noticed if the dictionary issue is fixed in 2.5.2? This is what bothers me the most, and if it is not fixed is not worth it for me to update it.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #90
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What dictionary issue please?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote