Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I am trying to figure out what you mean in your next part. When you rename a file in Sigil, all links to that file are renamed with it. I don't have to reload the epub for that. That at least works for XHTML files and pictures.
Say you have an image in an epub which you wish to edit quickly - for example, you wish to try a slight variation of style. You'll be using the book preview.
  • Remove, re-add: If you remove (via context menu) the image, it will be replaced with an "x" - as the img ref is now pointing to a non-existant file. If you now add a file with the same name as the expected ref, the "x" will remain.
  • Trying common convention: Select the file in Sigil, right click it and add the file using the same filename. This does not replace it, rather it just gives an error about already containing a file with the same name.
  • Renaming: If we try to avoid this by renaming the initial file, obviously the ref is changed, so you'd have to add the new version, then edit the changed ref anyway (it might be used in many contexts, not so much fun).
  • Lastly: If you are editing something quickly in a different tool (i.e by saving a copy of the file out of the archive), you might not want to overwrite the exported initial file, or place it elsewhere with the same filename. You may also be trying to replace a file which has extra information, such as ordering or semantics which will be lost. So once more you are required to perform extra renames and such once you have added the file.

In most similar editors that I have used, this is solved by right clicking the file, then 'add existing file' (or similar) - and selecting your new file which will used to replace it.
i.e : something.jpg -> right click -> Add Existing Item(s) -> select something_iter3.jpg -> add.
Perhaps a prompt about replacing, but at the end you'll be left with something.jpeg still referenced, however the content of something_iter3.jpg.

Hopefully that covers it, though I must say not the best explanation ever You may also notice how the 'close' concept might be seen as an intermediate step in some of this, making sure that things are refreshed correctly.

And while I'm waffling on this point, it would also be nice to have a context menu for saving out copies of internal files, rather than having the extra step of using an archiver.

I could provide patches for these topics I guess, tho it's been quite some time since I wrote respectable code outside of Python. Early Nov in any case, life is sadly busy before then.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
close