Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Is there some rule saying that an epub3 file has to use all the things that epub3 can use?
No. But the ePub 3 standard has a long list of things that a reader is required to support - far more than Apple need for what they've created iBooks Author for. ie, to create a reader which they could call an ePub 3 reader would have needed a far, far greater investment, with little or no benefit in return.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #122
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. But the ePub 3 standard has a long list of things that a reader is required to support - far more than Apple need for what they've created iBooks Author for. ie, to create a reader which they could call an ePub 3 reader would have needed a far, far greater investment, with little or no benefit in return.
I wasn't talking about the reader, but the ibook format.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #123
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the reader, but the ibook format.
I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of your question. You asked if an ePub 3 file had to use all the features of ePub 3. No, of course it doesn't, but why did you ask?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #124
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of your question. You asked if an ePub 3 file had to use all the features of ePub 3. No, of course it doesn't, but why did you ask?
I quoted the reason for the question:
Quote:
I strongly suspect the opposite: that ePub 3 does too much. There is no ePub 3 viewer in existence at the current time. Apple simply wanted a format to support interactive multimedia books - the kind of thing that's currently done with book Apps.
You said that Apple made the format because it wanted a format to support interactive multimedia books. But there is epub3 for that already, so your argument doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I quoted the reason for the question:

You said that Apple made the format because it wanted a format to support interactive multimedia books. But there is epub3 for that already, so your argument doesn't make any sense.
Yes, it does; you didn't read my post properly. Apple could not call iBooks an ePub 3 reader unless it supported the mandatory set of features required by the ePub 3 standard. Given that they had no commercial need for this feature set, they had no reason to adhere to the ePub 3 standard for iBooks.
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #126
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, it does; you didn't read my post properly. Apple could not call iBooks an ePub 3 reader unless it supported the mandatory set of features required by the ePub 3 standard. Given that they had no commercial need for this feature set, they had no reason to adhere to the ePub 3 standard for iBooks.
I didn't say that they should have called the reader an epub3 reader. I wasn't talking about the reader. I was talking about the file format. Why do you keep pretending that I was talking about the reader?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #127
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I didn't say that they should have called the reader an epub3 reader. I wasn't talking about the reader. I was talking about the file format. Why do you keep pretending that I was talking about the reader?
Because you're not making any sense to me.

Let's suppose that Apple had made iBooks Author produce files that were fully ePub 3 compliant. What application is available to read those files?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #128
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:

Let's suppose that Apple had made iBooks Author produce files that were fully ePub 3 compliant. What application is available to read those files?
I'm not making sense to you because you won't actually read my posts. I didn't say that Apple should have made iBooks Author produce files that were fully ePub 3 compliant.

I can repost what I've said, but you could also read the posts (I would say again but you didn't read them in the first place).
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

We seem to be having difficulty communicating here. I don't think there's any point in continuing this discussion.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #130
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:

I think the point is that you seemed to argue from technical reasons that they could not have used ePub3. But they could have uses a subset of ePub3 and not called there reader an ePub3 reader. So you technical reason for creating a new format was not valid.

Of course there are business reasons to not follow a standard but that is obvious and was not what you seemed to say.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #131
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think the point is that you seemed to argue from technical reasons that they could not have used ePub3. But they could have uses a subset of ePub3 and not called there reader an ePub3 reader. So you technical reason for creating a new format was not valid.
Are any of us technically qualified to say whether everything that is available in iBooks Author could be done in valid standard ePub3? You have just stated that as a fact.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #132
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Are any of us technically qualified to say whether everything that is available in iBooks Author could be done in valid standard ePub3? You have just stated that as a fact.
But that is not relevant for the given argument (I should have said might have been able to). The argument seemed to be that just because they could not make a full fledged ePub3 reader they had to make their own format. And that is not a valid argument since it assumes without any evidence that a subset would not have been enough.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #133
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But that is not relevant for the given argument (I should have said might have been able to). The argument seemed to be that just because they could not make a full fledged ePub3 reader they had to make their own format. And that is not a valid argument since it assumes without any evidence that a subset would not have been enough.
Since I don't seem to be explaining myself very well, I'm going to type this very slowly, in the hope that it will be easier to understand .

Yes, I agree that Apple could probably have achieved what they wanted with ePub 3. I don't know for certain, but from what I've read about ePub 3, it seems like a reasonable assumption to make.

They would then have required a app to read what they had created. They clearly didn't want to produce a full-fledged ePub 3 reader app, because ePub 3 has all sorts of mandatory requirements that were of no interest for the specific commercial purpose they had in mind. So they could not have claimed that what they produced was an ePub 3 reader - it would still be "a reader for iBooks files", not "an ePub 3 reader".

So, we have a situation where we have an iBooks reader app, and a tool which produces files which can only be read by that app. In this circumstance, is there any commercial benefit to be gained from using ePub 3 at all? I would argue that there is no benefit, because by using ePub 3, Apple are opening the gates to other people to develop apps which could also read those files, and hence taking sales away from Apple. In this situation, it makes sound commercial sense to make the format proprietary, so that yours is the only platform that can display the books that your tool produces.

QED.

Amazon have made exactly the same decision with their "KF8" multimedia format.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #134
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
So, we have a situation where we have an iBooks reader app, and a tool which produces files which can only be read by that app.
In this circumstance, is there any commercial benefit to be gained from using ePub 3 at all? I would argue that there is no benefit, because by using ePub 3, Apple are opening the gates to other people to develop apps which could also read those files, and hence taking sales away from Apple. In this situation, it makes sound commercial sense to make the format proprietary, so that yours is the only platform that can display the books that your tool produces.

QED.
I'm confused. You appear to be saying that, in your opinion, Apple delibrately chose not to use a subset of epub 3, so as to prevent other people from interoperating with their .ibook format. In other words, they delibrately chose to fragment the ebook space, for their selfish benefit. This is precisely the behavior I and others are complaining about. I somehow doubt that's what you intended the QED to prove.

Quote:
Amazon have made exactly the same decision with their "KF8" multimedia format.
Yes, and they are equally to blame for making a choice that harms the ebook community at large, for their selfish, short term gain. Something I have said when KF8 was first announced.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #135
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Amazon and Apple are two peas in a pod; creating their own standards to suppress competition.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote