Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #46
fkick
fkick began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Stanza
I'm still having trouble getting this to work. I run the epub (or mobi) through Calibre, making sure the tag is set to EBOK. Then I run it though MobiMetaEditor, confirm that 501 reads EBOK and then paste the ASIN from amazon's site into correct spot on the chart, save and then side load the new file to the kindle ios app (via iexplorer). When I go to open it on the iphone or ipad, I still get the same "Please remove..." error.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
fkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #47
slidey
slidey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app
I was using a similar workflow, and had trouble making it work too. I'm sure I had the asin correct, and in my case could get past the error and open the book - but sync remained gray (as if I hadn't done metadata correctly).

In my frustration I gave up, only to notice that Amazon updated the Android app - and the new version fully supports the personal documents service (email to device and cloud storage)! Sync works great now for me because of that between Kindles, Android and iOS devices on my mobis - so I'm completely happy to stop doing all the extra work and just use 'email to device'.

Sadly it still looks like the cloud reader and PC installed version don't have personal docs support yet. Here's hoping they add it soon!
slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #48
fkick
fkick began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Stanza
slidey,

Does that email to device actually sync furthest read position?
fkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #49
slidey
slidey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app
Yep, tested it both directions. I couldn't be happier..finally a 'front door' that works cross platform..and still free!

Edit: for what it's worth, I am using the 'backup to cloud' option, and sent the file from the windows utility, not my email client. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited by slidey; 03-22-2012 at 09:40 PM.
slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #50
GreenRomeo
GreenRomeo began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Hi guys,

I've updated to Kindle 3.0 for iPhone (4, iOS 5.0.1) and as many experienced, it broke most of my sideloaded content (all unicode books gone, only English books retained).

I went to remove the version 3.0 and reinstalled version 2.9 but to my horror, now ALL sideloaded content disappeared, even though the mobi books are still in the Documents folder of the app.

I tried to deregister/register, remove/reinstall the Kindle app (version 2.9) many times to no avail.

Now Amazon's released version 3.0.1, I immediately updated it and try to sideload content again, but the app still shows no books in the library.

I don't know what went wrong, but am not keen to restore my iPhone to factory setting to set up everything from the beginning.

Anyone has come across this issue, or has any clue?

Appreciated!
Green
GreenRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #51
scoiattolo49
scoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc..
Just to summarise:

- Personal Documents Service does work across all platform but Cloud, Fire and PC reader. It always has.
The books will became "documents" (PDOK in 501) but they will be synchronized on any reader where you download them.
The main disadvantage of this method is that you will not be able to see the details of the book and share/read comments and annotation from other people.

- you can use iTunes to add to the document folder. Also in this case they will became "documents". No synch across readers.

- you can copy the books directly in /Library/eBooks/ in the Kindle app directory (for iOS I suggest using iFunbox).
In this case they must be existing ebooks sold by Amazon having a ASIN code, correctly inserted into the (113) ASIN field.
In fact now Kindle checks (via ASIN code) that the book exist and only after it synchronize it.
You can see this happening by the fact that without a internet connection on the device the cover on the book is not loaded even if the book has it (and you can read the book). Only after the check the cover is loaded and the book synchronized.
I suspect also that you must have a Kindle reader and the book must be first loaded there for the all synch to work (i.e. it doesn't work if you only use iOS and/or Android readers).

Last edited by scoiattolo49; 03-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
scoiattolo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoiattolo49 View Post
Just to summarise:

- Personal Documents Service does work across all platform but Clod and PC reader. It always has.
I don't think this works for the Fire either.

Quote:
The books will became "documents" (PDOK in 501) but they will be synchronized on any reader where you download them.
The main disadvantage of this method is that you will not be able to see the details of the book and share/read comments and annotation from other people.

- you can use iTunes to add to the document folder. Also in this case they will became "documents". No synch across readers.

- you can copy the books directly in /Library/eBooks/ in the Kindle app directory (for iOS I suggest using iFunbox).
In this case they must be existing ebooks sold by Amazon having a ASIN code, correctly inserted into the (103) ASIN field.
In fact now Kindle checks (via ASIN code) that the book exist and only after it synchronize it.
You can see this happening by the fact that without a internet connection on the device the cover on the book is not loaded even if the book has it (and you can read the book). Only after the check the cover is loaded and the book synchronized.
I suspect also that you must have a Kindle reader and the book must be first loaded there for the all synch to work (i.e. it doesn't work if you only use iOS and/or Android readers).
Isn't that supposed to be 113 field?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
scoiattolo49
scoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I don't think this works for the Fire either.

Isn't that supposed to be 113 field?

Carol
Oops.. post edited
scoiattolo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #54
fullcircle
fullcircle began at the beginning.

Device: K2, ipad, iphone
Can't sync the new iPad and K2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoiattolo49 View Post
Just to summarise:

- Personal Documents Service does work across all platform but Cloud, Fire and PC reader. It always has.

In this case they must be existing ebooks sold by Amazon having a ASIN code, correctly inserted into the (113) ASIN field.
I can't for the life of me get sideloaded books to sync to last page on thew new ipad 4.1, iphone 4S 5.0 and K2.

I used Calibre and edited the metadata and then reconverted the book with [EBOK] tag. I put the book on my K2 via USB and then tested the sync with K4PC and it seemed to work as far as syncing goes.

But I am not able to get it working on the new iPad and iphone 4S. The kindle version on the Ipad is 3.01 and 3.0 on the iphone 4S. According to your post (which I am likely misunderstanding), you mention you can use the personal document service to deliver the modified MOBI file to the ipad and iphone. I have tried emailing it via the kindle email address as well as the kindle windows utility. I also tried to sideload the ipad and iphone with iexplorer but I dont see the directory to place them in (all I can kind in the Apps directory is com.Amazon.Lassen) and when I try to access that or any directory iexplorer gives me the error "This iOS device appears to have reached its limit of connecting to 5 app directories for this session..." which makes me think the free iexplorer is trial/feature limited.

I have also tried modifying the ASIN with mobi2mobi and repeating the above and that didnt seem to help. Also tried deleting all the files from the my kindle library on the web and on the devices to start fresh and it doesnt seem to help.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
fullcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #55
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
But I am not able to get it working on the new iPad and iphone 4S. The kindle version on the Ipad is 3.01 and 3.0 on the iphone 4S. According to your post (which I am likely misunderstanding), you mention you can use the personal document service to deliver the modified MOBI file to the ipad and iphone. I have tried emailing it via the kindle email address as well as the kindle windows utility.
Each of your devices/apps has its own email address so you email directly to your iPad and iPhone, your Kindle email address is only for your Kindle. You can find the addresses associated with each device on your Manage Your Kindle page under Manage Your Devices. If you've emailed a document to one device, that document will be in your Amazon Library (cloud) and you can send it to your other devices from your Library instead of emailing it to each one if you find that easier.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #56
fullcircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Each of your devices/apps has its own email address so you email directly to your iPad and iPhone, your Kindle email address is only for your Kindle. You can find the addresses associated with each device on your Manage Your Kindle page under Manage Your Devices. If you've emailed a document to one device, that document will be in your Amazon Library (cloud) and you can send it to your other devices from your Library instead of emailing it to each one if you find that easier.
Yes, I have tried that as well, but it seems that "grays" out "sync to furthest page read" on the K2, but the syncing works between the iphone, ipad and K4PC still.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #57
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
I can't for the life of me get sideloaded books to sync to last page on thew new ipad 4.1, iphone 4S 5.0 and K2.

I used Calibre and edited the metadata and then reconverted the book with [EBOK] tag. I put the book on my K2 via USB and then tested the sync with K4PC and it seemed to work as far as syncing goes.

But I am not able to get it working on the new iPad and iphone 4S. The kindle version on the Ipad is 3.01 and 3.0 on the iphone 4S. According to your post (which I am likely misunderstanding), you mention you can use the personal document service to deliver the modified MOBI file to the ipad and iphone. I have tried emailing it via the kindle email address as well as the kindle windows utility. I also tried to sideload the ipad and iphone with iexplorer but I dont see the directory to place them in (all I can kind in the Apps directory is com.Amazon.Lassen) and when I try to access that or any directory iexplorer gives me the error "This iOS device appears to have reached its limit of connecting to 5 app directories for this session..." which makes me think the free iexplorer is trial/feature limited.

I have also tried modifying the ASIN with mobi2mobi and repeating the above and that didnt seem to help. Also tried deleting all the files from the my kindle library on the web and on the devices to start fresh and it doesnt seem to help.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you are modifying the ASIN with mobi2mobi, don't convert in Calibre after you have modified. I have found Calibre will put in a different ASIN when it converts.

Use DiskAid to sideload. I had no luck with iExplorer. In DiskAid, from the file menu, go to DiskAid\Preferences\Advanced, and put a check by 'show root path for apps'.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #58
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Do you really need the sync button?
Just reopen the book and it should sync automatically
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #59
fullcircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
If you are modifying the ASIN with mobi2mobi, don't convert in Calibre after you have modified. I have found Calibre will put in a different ASIN when it converts.

Use DiskAid to sideload. I had no luck with iExplorer. In DiskAid, from the file menu, go to DiskAid\Preferences\Advanced, and put a check by 'show root path for apps'.

Carol
Thanks DiskAid seemed to allow me to access my ipad and iphone to sideload. The only problem I have is the sync wheel in the bottom right is greyed out in the iphone and ipad, but on the kindle 2 it seems to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #60
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Has anyone tried finding the file that contains the 'last read' information? Maybe that file could be transferred via Send to personal Docs or in some other way than relying on Amazon to sync for you.
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote