Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Didn't I also read somewhere recently that they were waiting for more content to be available before releasing? But might have been from the c/net video review that I heard that, which would mean it's probably not recent news.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Didn't I also read somewhere recently that they were waiting for more content to be available before releasing? But might have been from the c/net video review that I heard that, which would mean it's probably not recent news.
The CNET Review that TadW found does mention that they're "trying to get content" for it. Although, I don't think the guy talking is a Sony person, given some of his comments, so I don't know how much weight to give the remark.

A curious thing I noticed re-watching the video -- it's dated 1/5/06, but there's a sign in the background of the shot that reads "Sony Electronics: Holidays in July" -- what's that all about? I'm thinking the video couldn't have been from July '05, so the sign must be refering to the next July, i.e. this month (July '06).

Funky.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #18
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
freakonomics is going to be available at launch. Thats good as I was wanting to read it.

also launch "titles":
Digging to America
At Risk
(and of course da vinci code)

Edit: here are their connect software book "categories":

Biography
Business
Entertainment
Fiction and Literature
Games Graphics
Health, Mind and Body
Mystery and Thrillers
Nature
Politics and Government Resources and Reference
Self Help and Improvement
Science Fiction
Technology
Thrillers
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, figured it out -- I was mistaken about the video, it's from last week (7/26), which is when Sony had its Holidays in July thing in NYC -- maybe that'll teach me to read instead of just watching vids.

So the review is fresh, if not very in-depth, and neither of the guys talking is a Sony rep (the PCMag review seemed a bit more informed).

Last edited by NatCh; 07-26-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added link to Holidays in July write up
Old 07-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #20
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Ah, figured it out -- I was mistaken about the video, it's from last week (7/26), which is when Sony had its Holidays in July thing in NYC -- maybe that'll teach me to read instead of just watching vids.

So the review is fresh, if not very in-depth, and neither of the guys talking is a Sony rep (the PCMag review seemed a bit more informed).

The date of the article is indeed older but there was no video next to the article. The video is indeed new and I know that for a fact since I found it.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
The video is indeed new and I know that for a fact since I found it.
You are most correct, diabloNL, it is the one you posted, my apologies -- I was confusing it with the one TadW had at the beginning of this thread.

Sorry 'bout that.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
You are most correct, diabloNL, it is the one you posted, my apologies -- I was confusing it with the one TadW had at the beginning of this thread.

Sorry 'bout that.
No problem!

I made from carbon the iLiad and the Sony Reader so I can compare the size of both. It's very difficult to decide because they both have pros en cons. At the moment I'm still leaning towards the Sony Reader.

Here's a picture of my creation:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00098ao0.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	1317  
Old 07-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wow, pretty slick, diabloNL, puts it into perspective somewhat.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #24
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Wow, pretty slick, diabloNL, puts it into perspective somewhat.

Yeah, because I first tried it with a blank piece of paper but this works way better to really see the difference in size. Conclusion is that the iLiad is not as big as I thought it would be and the Reader is way smaller than I thought.

One thing that keeps me away from the iLiad right now is the somewhat disappointing battery life. Who can guarantee me that they will fix that issue?

For the Sony Reader I really think the hardware is ready and the thing that holds them is the connect system.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
For the Sony Reader I really think the hardware is ready and the thing that holds them is the connect system.
From what I'm finding, the hardware/software/OS is pretty much ready, but there seems to be some hesitence to declare it so. The indications are that this has to do with some sort of final quality assurance double-check, but I haven't found anything that indicates that it's necessarily solely the Reader itself, (shrug -- I want a shrug smilie!) it could be (at least partly) the 'Connect' side, so far as I can tell.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #26
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
With the new version of the iLiad (2.5), I've used it for two nights in a row before recharging, from around 7ish to about 11.30. Although it still isn't as good as promised, for the use I'm going to give it (leisure reading at home, close to a plug if I need it) I think it's acceptable as is, although the longer the better, of course.
Also, as to the page flipping, I hit the bar on the last sentence/line or so, so that by the time I've read it, it's about to turn, so that doesn't bother me either.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

You know, ElaHuguet, it's not nice to taunt us non-first-wave early-adoptors....
Old 07-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #28
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Oops, sorry.
I'm not an early adopter btw, sigh, this was a very late birthday present (early March!). At the rate I read, my husband decided it was cheaper than buying p-books.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet
...I'm not an early adopter ....
yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #30
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Well... maybe I'll admit "impatient adopter".
Really, I'm the type that is quite happy with whatever works and VERY lazy to actually change/upgrade/get the newest gadget (eg. I still have W2k at home and refuse to change), but e-ink touched my sensitive/lust fibre (ok, I'll be honest, it wasn't really e-ink, it was the screen size that did it! LOL).