Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
Lucid_Lynx
Lucid_Lynx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook
Unhappy Calibre metadata not effective

Hello,

I use Calibre from years to manage my ebooks library (more than 5000 books).
I read on Apple iPad, Pocketbook device or Samsung smartphone, even on PC/MAC sometimes.

I check every book i get in order to have good and accurate metadata. I regularly check all library with integrated checking tools in Calibre. I don't get any errors or false fields.

BUT, when all metadatas are ok in Calibre, they looks like false in any device.
For example, if i fill correctly metadata fields for a book (because metadata are often incorrect or bad with ebooks from internet), new and updated metadata doesn't appear in devices (any device). The device sort books with the old and bad metadata (author, title overall).
Looks like Calibre can't record and integrate metadata to the file itself (or "Apply" button in metadata windows is completely useless...).
I use folder navigation in my devices (author folder), which seems more efficient and straight. But some application needs tags navigation and don't have folder interface or research menu.

What can i do to get correct metadata recognition and sorting in my devices ?
All metadata of my Calibre library are ok in Calibre.
Is Calibre able to actually modify metadata in files ?

Thanks for your help.
Lucid_Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Calibre only embeds metadata into files when you tell it to do so using the Embed Metadata function or when you export a book using Save to disk or Send to device. (Conversion also embeds metadata.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Lucid_Lynx

Ok, that confirms my thought.
Where can i find this "Metadata Embedded Function" ?

So, metadata window is completely useless ?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Calibre only embeds metadata into files when you tell it to do so using the Embed Metadata function or when you export a book using Save to disk or Send to device. (Conversion also embeds metadata.)
If you update the metadata you will have to resend it to the device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid_Lynx View Post
Ok, that confirms my thought.

No it is very useful.

bernie

Edit:

For some devices you may have to use the remove from device function before resending to device.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#remove-books

Last edited by gbm; 08-01-2020 at 11:37 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
You can add it to the toolbar using Preferences.

Quote:
Not at all. It is just that putting metadata into the database and transferring it from the database to book files are separate functions.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
Lucid_Lynx

OK.
In fact, i never use direct transfer from Calibre to my ebook reader (Pocketbook) because it goes freezy every time (maybe due to thousands of files) and Calibre goes wrong OR my ebook reader disconnect during transfer (that's very annoying with more tha 10 Gb of files...).

I don't use too the "Remove from device" function : i format my ebook reader SD card every time i update my library.

If "Send to device" embeds metadata, great, i'm going to try this again with different ways.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
Lucid_Lynx

OK, i get it.
I put "Metadata Embedded Function" shortcut in toolbar, then i selected all my books in current library and i applied it, it took about 15 min and all datas seem correctly saved into every file.

I check on my ebook reader (after formatting SD card and new transfer of whole library) and everything is ok with author / title / series sorting.

Thanks for your help !

PS : I don't understand what utility of metadata window's "Apply" button have, if informations aren't recorded into the file.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK, i get it.
I put "Metadata Embedded Function" shortcut in toolbar, then i selected all my books in current library and i applied it, it took about 15 min and all datas seem correctly saved into every file.

I check on my ebook reader (after formatting SD card and new transfer of whole library) and everything is ok with author / title / series sorting.

Thanks for your help !

PS : I don't understand what utility of metadata window's "Apply" button have, if informations aren't recorded into the file.
Apply puts it into CALIBRE ( the DB), Apply is only needed if you wish to capture the current view WITHOUT DEPARTING. Eg save current metadata, but then try another download (Allows a cancel-abort without messing up the better stuff)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are three ways to update the metadata. One is with the Modify ePub plugin and the second is with Polish and the third is to do it with the editor.

Those are the least obtrusive ways to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote