Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #76
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Does it really matter if you close your gadget for 5 minutes?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #77
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #78
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Congratulations! By not reading the posts of the people on this thread who have repeatedly pointed out that the rules are applied not "at takeoff" but rather "whilst sitting for hours on the tarmac", you have managed to completely misconstrue people's legitimate concerns!

Take an "attaboy" out of petty cash.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #79
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
It might not matter if it was really only five minutes. The unfortunate reality is that it is all the time required to push back from the gate, taxi to the end of the take off line, and wait in that line until such time as the plane might take off. After that, it's five minutes before you can officially use the device. At the other end of the trip, it's more like ten to fifteen minutes for the plane to make its final descent and landing. All of that time added together can easily equal an hour or more. The point of having an e-ink reader is, in part, so that I don't have to carry a bunch of books around. It's frustrating that I have to bring something to fill that hour when I'm holding a device that sends a signal for less than half an inch and couldn't possibly cause any interference.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #80
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Then the solution is a simple one: install the electronics away from people. For example RF emitting devices shouldn't come within 20 cm of a pacemaker.
No amount of idiot-proofing will protect you from junk science.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #81
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Will it mean an ugly "FAA Approved" sticker on my ereader?

Hmmm, would such a sticker be worth it, if it meant you could read during take-off and landing?

eP
I would take it, I have a Sony 350 and I always get told to turn mine off doesn't matter that it has no wifi or 3g.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #82
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
I would take it, I have a Sony 350 and I always get told to turn mine off doesn't matter that it has no wifi or 3g.
Yeah, I have a 650 and it's the same thing except I don't even have to wait for the flight attendants to tell me to turn it off... because MY OWN DAUGHTER tells me to turn it off right when they make the announcement! And I kind of have to model good law-abiding behavior in front of her...

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #83
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They made many, many tests. There was no measurable interference even when every seat was occupied and every single person was running and using a device, including cell phones. It is clearly a matter of going against the public perception of danger they have created over the years and of bureaucratic inertia. Nobody wants to be the first to make a move. And nobody is pushing hard for it. So it is us frequent travellers who lose out.
What tests? Who did them? On ground or in flight? Links?

There have been several instances of electronic devices causing interference with aircraft systems.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #84
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
It might not matter if it was really only five minutes. The unfortunate reality is that it is all the time required to push back from the gate, taxi to the end of the take off line, and wait in that line until such time as the plane might take off. After that, it's five minutes before you can officially use the device. At the other end of the trip, it's more like ten to fifteen minutes for the plane to make its final descent and landing. All of that time added together can easily equal an hour or more. The point of having an e-ink reader is, in part, so that I don't have to carry a bunch of books around. It's frustrating that I have to bring something to fill that hour when I'm holding a device that sends a signal for less than half an inch and couldn't possibly cause any interference.
WOW, a whole hour you have to amuse yourself without an electronic device.

This is the same sort of arguement used by those who text while driving.

And how do you know that it only radiates 1/2"? I know of someone who has held a conversation across the Atlantic Ocean on about 0.00002 watts of power.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #85
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
What tests? Who did them? On ground or in flight? Links?

There have been several instances of electronic devices causing interference with aircraft systems.
Show me proof that they interfere in normal use, first.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #86
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
If the interference is a real problem, why don't they build Faraday cages around the plane's cabin, to isolate the cabin completely from the plane's sensitive electronics?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #87
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:

And how do you know that it only radiates 1/2"? I know of someone who has held a conversation across the Atlantic Ocean on about 0.00002 watts of power.
Well, I'm not driving, so there's that.. I trust the engineer who said that it e-ink devices give off detectable signal for a few millimeters. I broadened it, just because. It's good to know that you are happy to sit strapped in a seat for an hour doing nothing, but I'm not. If I have the window and it's daylight outside and it's not cloudy and I'm not over the wing, then there's something to see during part of that time. The rest of the time, I read when the flight attendants are seated and leave it in stand-by the rest of the time. I haven't brought a plane down yet.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #88
Wasgo
Connoisseur
Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wasgo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
Quote:

I agree. I also think we should be concerned that radio might interfere with traffic lights. Just to be on the safe side, let's issue a mandatory recall on car stereos.
Wasgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #89
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Zetmolm, agreed. Because if the risk was real can you imagine how trivial it would be for terrorists to create EM noise in the 'sensitive' spectrum with modified hand-held devices? So I'm calling bogus on the risk myself.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #90
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Re requests for evidence of harm, this controversial Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) article is frequently linked:

Unsafe At Any Airspeed? Cellphones and other electronics are more of a risk than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Because if the risk was real can you imagine how trivial it would be for terrorists to create EM noise in the 'sensitive' spectrum with modified hand-held devices?
Aircraft instruments giving inconsistent readings can be one cause of a crash, but, by itself, an instrument problem is not going to destroy the aircraft. If the kind of low risk we are talking about does, in fact, exist, the terrorist would still have to target millions of flights to create one crash -- not trivial at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
It's frustrating that I have to bring something to fill that hour when I'm holding a device that sends a signal for less than half an inch and couldn't possibly cause any interference.
I can see the frustration when your eReader does not communicate by radio, or the radio is switched off. But, just glacing at your device, there is no way for aircrew to know that. I have a Kindle with 3G. As far as I am concerned, the killer app for Kindle models with cell phone network connectivity is the New York Times Latest News blog. This frequently communicates by radio unless I turn off wireless.

One could say that telling people to stop eReading is pointless because a stowed Kindle may still be communicating by radio. Without question, some Kindle owners accidentally leave the wireless on when putting their device away. However, I also think that the current regulations reduce the amount of radio traffic in the cabin.

A lot of things have to gone wrong at once to bring down an airliner. Suppose, shortly after the electronic device rules were rescinded, there was a crash in which one of the contributing factors was inconsistent instrument readings. There would be widespread speculation that passenger-held devices had something to do with it, and much more draconian rules than we now have could result. So I would go very slow in easing up on current rules.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote