Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
dasp
dasp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Selective preprocess_regexps

Hi,

Is there a way to selectively turn on/off the usage of preprocess_regexps?

My recipe's parse_index() works as follows:

1. first visit the newspaper's main page, extract section names and section url's
2. visit the section url to extract the articles within that section

With the latest update to newspaper's site, step 2 fails because preprocess_regexps strips out the html part containing the article titles and urls.

I need the preprocess_regexps because it strips out all the crap in the actual article contents; however, I don't need it/want it during the parse_index() stage.

Is there a solution for my problem?

Thanks!
dasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Implement preprocess_raw_html() in your recipe and apply the regexes yourself after checking the HTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
dasp
dasp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the response, Kovid.

In preprocess_raw_html() I can either use the URL or the raw HTML contents to decide between applying the regexes or not.

The section and article URLs are generic across the site, e.g.:

http://example.com/?ItemID=3A62EEC05...0733E0349CBA67
http://example.com/?ItemID=59DB44974...66062D8B9D9422
http://example.com/?ItemID=F15164ADF...8EEFD7ED078DAA

...so consequently I cannot distinguish where I am based on the URLs alone.

That leaves me with searching for some particular pattern/string in the raw HTML that would distinguish the page as the one containing a section list or the one containing section's article list. However, this is not the cleanest solution I was hoping for.

I was hoping for a way to somehow "turn off" calibre's usage of preprocess_regexps when entering parse_index() and turning it back on right before exiting.

Something along the lines:

PHP Code:
FULL_REGEX_LIST = [ re.compile(...) ]
preprocess_regexps FULL_REGEX_LIST

def parse_index
():

self.preprocess_regexps = []

## construct feeds list

self.preprocess_regexps FULL_REGEX_LIST

return feeds 
I actually tried this and it didn't work. So if you have any idea/suggestion to achieve this, great. If not, I'll do it the way you originally proposed.

Thanks.

Last edited by dasp; 12-06-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: formatting issues
dasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Code:
def parse_index(self, *args, **kwargs):
   self.preprocess_regexps = []
   ret = BasicNewsRecipe.parse_index(self, *args, **kwargs)
   self.preprocess_regexps = orignal_value
   return ret
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote