Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
islandcharlie
islandcharlie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
"Exception" during validation!

I have had good success using Sigil with its built-in FlightCew but with one problem. Writing in Word for Mac 2011, then saving as HTML then converting with Calibre, then testing and editing in Sigil/Flightcrew almost always works. But sometimes , in Sigil, when I go to validate with FlightCrew I get an error message saying "An exception occurred during validation: std::exception" I have been unable to get an answer from anyone as to what this means. Does anyone know?. The validation always stops at this point and will not continue.
islandcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Does it always happen with the same file or is this an intermittent issue?

If it's the same file open a bug report and attach it. If it's a file you can't post due to copyright open the bug, let me know and I will make it private so only you and I can see it.

Unfortunately, That error message gives no information as to what is happening. std::exception is just a generic exception type and could come from pretty much anywhere in the .
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It sounds like Calibre has made a mistake in the ePub, no doubt related to some strange Word issue.
I must say I am curious. If you can post an ePUB with the problem, please do.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
islandcharlie

to user_none
The file is large, 40,000 words, and is copyrighted only by me, but posting something this big is not easy. The problem could be anywhere. My work-around (successful) has been to open a new, blank Word file and copy the book into it. Then I go through the whole process again and most of the time it works and FlightCrew does its thing and gives me an editable set of errors to correct. This exception error has usually occurred after I have worked on the same original file, making edits and corrections, then redoing the conversion process, so it's likely to be some accumulated set of Word problems. Im still not clear what an "exception" means in Sigil; (or FlightCrew, probably) and am not sure how to print a bug report. The other question might be "What does FlightCrew deem as an exception?" Thanks.

Chuck Scurlock
Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
An exception is a programming construct that deals with error handling. In this case something in the file caused FlightCrew to not be able to complete its task. Typically when this happens the error message contains some information as to why. In this case it does not.

If you run into this issue again with a smaller file I can look at it to see why its happening. Unfortunately, I cannot tell why unless I trace through the entire process.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
islandcharlie

Thanks, again. Whatever the error is, it doesn't block validation in epubcheck 1.1 but that program's error messages are not very user-friendly.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you try the following:
1. save the file from word as filtered HTML
2. Open a new file in Sigil
3. Import the HTML file into Sigil
4. Validate?

I know the file will be ugly, but I am curious what is in the Word file that is causing you problems.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
islandcharlie

I have partially identified the source of the "exception. In a new copy of my book, I followed my usual Word: HTML from Word: Calibre fro the HTML: validate in Sigil, and got the "exception" notice. I then tried a substitute procedure: Word to HTML; the used Sigil to convert to epub, which lost my chapter breaks but these were easy to insert in Sigil, the valldation worked fine. I then used Calibre to edit line spacing and margins in the epub file and it went through validation again in FlightCrew. So, the flaw apparently happens in the Word/HTML to Calibre sequence, probably when Calibre converts from the HTML file. At any rate all is well for now. So your advice was good, Toxaris.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
islandcharlie

Subsequent problems. How does one "import" an HTML file into Sigil. After doing this once successfully, I can't seem to make it work again. I have dragged the file into the window, copied and pasted, search for "import in the menu, all to no avail. Help?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Right-click on the 'Text' folder on the left and select 'Add existing item'.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
kmckinley
kmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-bookskmckinley has learned how to read e-books

Device: NOOK Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Right-click on the 'Text' folder on the left and select 'Add existing item'.
If I had a set of files, each of which represented a chapter of a book, could I add them sequentially and save as a single epub?
kmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckinley View Post
If I had a set of files, each of which represented a chapter of a book, could I add them sequentially and save as a single epub?
Certainly, epub can contain more than one file, it is all zipped together. I built the "Miller's church history" uploaded in our forum exactly that way.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote