Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
attapol
attapol began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need help with my PP.The screen is freeze at locked and has white lines.

Dear groups.

I am in Thailand .I bought my 5" pocket pro nearly 6 months ago.I have the 2 big problems with my reader.

1.The screen is freeze at locked.

I tried to press the "On" button but nothing happen.It still locked.I tried to reset,nothing happen.Even I removed the battery the screen is still freeze at locked.

I tried to search in this forum to find out who has the same problem and finally find this link.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=lock+screen

But in my case,unfortunately,it did not solve my problem.I tried every way but not help.

2. The screen has the white horizontal line.
This thing happen when I used my reader around 3 months.

I email to support@astak.com and received the email like this.

Quote:
If the reader does not have any physical damage, please try the following instruction:

*An SD Card is required for the process.
1. Connect you reader to the computer. Press the "OK" button on the device to establish connection.
2. Go to My Computer (Computer for Vista and 7), two removable disks will appear. One is SD card, the other one is device memory.
3. Double click on one of those two removable disks and find the one with User Manual (normally the second one). Copy the files you want (User Manual, books, or folders), and paste them to the computer desktop.
4. Go back to My Computer, right click on the device memory, and select Format. Select "FAT32" in File System, Check "Quick Format", and then click on "Start".
5. Open your browser, go to http://www.theezreader.com/html/support_firmware.asp, select the correct file for your device (5" or 6"). Click on Download.
6. The full instruction and demo video are listed under the download files.
This is not help me because I connect my reader with my computer(window xp).I can not press the "OK" button as my screen is freeze at locked.

Has anyone can help?. Can I send it to claim?

Thank in advance.
attapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by attapol View Post

I tried to press the "On" button but nothing happen.It still locked.I tried to reset,nothing happen.Even I removed the battery the screen is still freeze at locked.

I tried to search in this forum to find out who has the same problem and finally find this link.

< snip>

This is not help me because I connect my reader with my computer(window xp).I can not press the "OK" button as my screen is freeze at locked.

Has anyone can help?. Can I send it to claim?

Thank in advance.
The screen remembers what was last shown when power was applied.

REMOVE THE SD CARD if inserted.

Charge the battery overnight . Do you see any LED blinking activity? (yes, that means it is charging)
Try unlocking again after 12 hours of charge. Press the Reset button on the back if unlock fails after a full charge time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Charge the battery overnight .
I agree, and use the wall charger if possible. It is more reliable than charging from a PC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
With the reset button (I found this through the Bebook Mini FAQ), holding the reset button for 10 seconds performs a hard reset, so if the soft reset of 3 seconds doesn't work, try it for 10.

Of course this is after you have, as suggested by theducks, fully charged your reader and removed the SD card.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
attapol

Thank alls,

Quote:
The screen remembers what was last shown when power was applied.

REMOVE THE SD CARD if inserted.

Charge the battery overnight . Do you see any LED blinking activity? (yes, that means it is charging)
Try unlocking again after 12 hours of charge. Press the Reset button on the back if unlock fails after a full charge time.
I already remove out my SD card from my reader and now I charge my reader with the wall charger.The LED not blinking.(why?) .I will left it charging again for 12 hours.I remember my battery is more than half when this problem happen.

Will my reader power up and charged even the LED not blinking?.

Do you know how I can fix with the horizontal lines?.

Last edited by attapol; 05-18-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank alls,

I already remove out my SD card from my reader and now I charge my reader with the wall charger.The LED not blinking.(why?) .I will left it charging again for 12 hours.I remember my battery is more than half when this problem happen.

No led blink, the reader is NOT Charging properly.
The battery is DEAD and the unit will not clear the screen because there is no power.

Possible problem items:
Bad USB cord
Bad/damaged connector or plug not inserted fully into PEz
Bad wall charger (if LED will blink when attached to PC (charg on PC for 12 hours
Battery plug (inside battery cover) not inserted correctly
Defective battery or internal battery circuit.

Verify the items on this list and report all the findings to Astak support to allow experts to determine the warranty resolution
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No led blink, the reader is NOT Charging properly.
The battery is DEAD and the unit will not clear the screen because there is no power.

Possible problem items:
Bad USB cord
Try another cord

Bad/damaged connector or plug not inserted fully into PEz
Reinsert the cord, or try another cord

Bad wall charger (if LED will blink when attached to PC (charg on PC for 12 hours
Try to charge it via PC instead. As suggested, see if the LED blinks.

Battery plug (inside battery cover) not inserted correctly
Open the battery cover and check for the plug. Although based on my experience the plug is quite difficult to remove.

Defective battery or internal battery circuit.
I don't know how to check this by yourself

Verify the items on this list and report all the findings to Astak support to allow experts to determine the warranty resolution.
In my experience, Astak support is very helpful.
I hope that these will help you, and that it's just a bad cable.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
IF no blinking red light... no charging is happening.

Quote:
Thank alls,

Dear attapol:

Two suggestions!

1. Go to www.theEZreader.com/html and look under "support". There you will find a FAQ sheet. This does a good job of telling you what you should see when you recharge.

2. Email to Astak at: support@astak.com or call: 1-866-368-8788.

It does sound to me like your USB cable is the problem. If you have a spare USB cable try it with the AC charger. If you do not, you can buy them very inexpensively. If need be, call or email Astak for cable exchange or other help!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
attapol

My USB cable is working fine.I also tried the new USB cable but my reader still not charging.I opened the battery cover and found the battery plug was fully inserted.

So I email to support@astak.com and received advice as below.

Quote:
Can you try take off the battery completely and charge the device with AC adapter? The system should make 4 beep sounds and go to the main page. If the device only makes beeps but does not go to the main page, please put the SD card with the update files and press the page forward button when plug it into a wall.
I will try that and see the result.(Hoped this can solve my problem )
Old 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is good to try things.

Quote:
My USB cable is working fine.I also tried the new USB cable but my reader still not charging.I opened the battery cover and found the battery plug was fully inserted.

So I email to support@astak.com and received advice as below.

I will try that and see the result.(Hoped this can solve my problem )
Dear attapol:

Yes, try support's suggestions. If it works you are good to go. If it does not, that will tell our support person more about the problem. Checking the battery plug is also good. Did you try removing it and then putting it back on again? Sometimes metal contacts develop tarnish and doing this does help.

It is possible that it is the battery. It does not happen often; but it has been known that a bad battery does get through. Support can assess this and take action.

We have had very, very few problems with a unit not charging. Sometimes it is as simple as following the steps in the FAQ sheet.

Have you tried shutting off the device, THEN hooking it up to the computer. This SHOULD automatically turn on the unit. That could tell us something.

I DO appreciate your patience and wanting to work with support. Our intent is to identify the problem and then get it fixed the fastest way.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
attapol

Dear Robertb

I tried that suggestion.I take off my battery from the device and try to charge it with the wall charger but no any beep sounds,no LED blinking and nothing happens in my screen.I checked the battery plug that is no problem,it is fully inserted.I remove the battery and put it back for 2-3 times but not work.

Quote:
It is possible that it is the battery. It does not happen often; but it has been known that a bad battery does get through. Support can assess this and take action.

If it the battery problem,why when I take off the battery and I charge the device with the wall charger,it does not has the beep sounds like in the suggestion.

We have had very, very few problems with a unit not charging. Sometimes it is as simple as following the steps in the FAQ sheet.

Have you tried shutting off the device, THEN hooking it up to the computer. This SHOULD automatically turn on the unit. That could tell us something.

I tried to shutting off but I can't because I can not press any buttons .The screen is freeze at locked.

I DO appreciate your patience and wanting to work with support. Our intent is to identify the problem and then get it fixed the fastest way.

I'm too want to know what causes it and still hope that there is way to solve it and not send it back to Astak to repair.I email this to support again and wait for next suggestion.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Robertb

Send me a PM

Quote:
Dear Robertb

I tried that suggestion.I take off my battery from the device and try to charge it with the wall charger but no any beep sounds,no LED blinking and nothing happens in my screen.I checked the battery plug that is no problem,it is fully inserted.I remove the battery and put it back for 2-3 times but not work.
Dear attapol:

Time to talk or email with tech support directly. Please send me a Private Message and include your real name and email address. Also include what the problem is and what you have tried.

I will personally take it to Elliott and get him working on it.

I leave for a trade show and conference on Sunday so IF you can get this to me quickly I can take action. I will not have my computer with me in New York and will be working day and night.

Let us get you going soon!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
attapol

I just want to update in my case.I sent my device to Astak and received it back last week.They gave me the new device :-))

Thank you very much Astak and especially RobertB. You are very kind and helpful.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Thanks for letting us know they took care of you! Astak is a great company!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote