Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Fictionwise/eReader to support iPhone (if sanctioned by Apple)

Here is a tantalizing piece of news from James of jkOnTheRun, reporting that Fictionwise is working on an iPhone version of the popular eReader software. James received the following word:

Quote:
Apple released their SDK for iphone/itouch on March 6. We have two Mac development experts doing the work to make eReader function on the iphone/itouch right now. Apple will allow third party applications, like eReader, to be used by customers after the next iPhone/iTouch firmware update which is currently estimated to be released on June 30 and we expect to be done with our porting work at about the same time.

However, there is also a wild card in that Apple must approve of each and every application released for iphone/itouch, and we are currently seeking information about what the criteria are to qualify. We will certainly support these devices if we possibly can and Apple allows it.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Fictionwise/eReader Support Team
Link: jkOnTheRun
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Here is a tantalizing piece of news from James of jkOnTheRun, reporting that Fictionwise is working on an iPhone version of the popular eReader software.
I am glad he asked, though it seems a bit misleading that he makes it sound like breaking news or a recent announcement. I think James must have slept through the response at first, because the email he quotes was originally sent to the Fictionwise Yahoo group way back on May 7th. Nevertheless, it is pretty neat that Steve (from Fictionwise) actually answers questions like this on the group. When asked for an update on Thursday, Steve's response boiled down to "When we know, you'll know."

Still, good to know they are working on it. In a separate email to the group Thursday, Steve also mentioned "We have a lot of exciting announcements coming up in the next month or two on eReader format." Hopefully iPhone info is one of them. Might the Astak Mentor be another?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Jack - I thought I'd read it a while ago on the FictionWise mailing list, but I wasn't certain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think it is likely Apple will approve the app based on the criteria we've been presented with so far. A e-reader is not a bandwidth hog, has no reason not to shut down and restart when the user switches between applications, and doesn't even have a large storage requirement.

I do have two questions that I have yet to see answered: what kind of local storage do apps get, and how can they sync with a desktop or on-line repository? To put it another way, how would I get books onto the iPhone in the first place.

Will Fictionwise charge for the App, or use it as a razor to sell the books?
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All the other versions of eReader are free, so it would be odd if they were to charge for the iPhone version.
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the other versions of eReader are free, so it would be odd if they were to charge for the iPhone version.
Agreed.

In fact, in the past eReader had two levels, the standard application, and a pro version with some extra features (dictionary lookup, some customization, etc.). They used to charge for the pro version. When Fictionwise took over, they did away with that scheme, and just went with free reader applications. So I don't expect them to go back the other direction just six months later.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

MobiPocket did exactly the same - they too had a basic reader which was free, and a "pro" version which was charged for. They then made the "pro" version free. I guess they've all realised that the profit lies in the books, and giving away high-quality reading applications is the best way to sell the books.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I just hope aPple accepts this to happen. It would typically be in their character to refuse, just because news were released before they say so.

I hope also that if it happens they won't lock reading only to this software and allow others to use their device.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
As far as I understood Mr. Jobs on the last two keynotes, they will approve the software and only look after "sex drugs & rock'n'roll" content.... and if it is a freeware product, what can they say? On the other hand there might be some deal with amazon in the future, or any other ebook seller. Let's make sure, that you can browse through your library using coverflow and everything will be all right.
DaNDeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
i'm a wee bit late to the party here, but i am thrilled to hear that ereader is planning an ebook app for the iphone, since most of my ebook collection is in the ereader format. i do like my kindle, but i'm not enamored with it, and would sell it if ebooks do become easily available on my iphone. i do take my iphone everywhere with me (even as i walk around in our house, oddly enough), and using it as an ebook reader would be the ultimate in convenience for me, particularly if OTA book downloads are available, as they are for windows mobile devices...

Last edited by macgirl; 06-19-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: grammar is my friend
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Have you tried Stanza, macgirl? You can open almost all types of non-DRM'd books, and export them as iPhone bookmarklets. One sync later, and you're reading.

I don't think I'd give up my Kindle, but you're right about always having access to my iPhone.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, ereader, fictionwise, iphone