Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Annoying Reverse Image Flash E-Ink Readers

Do all E-Ink readers have this - do that?

Was kinda set on the Entourage Edge as my electronic christmas present to my self (there are other categories)
Of course that purchase depends on the state of the Edge by that time - android 2.2 among other things

As i have not had an opportunity to actually hold the Edge i'm wondering if the Edge has that terrible reverse image flash thing that happens when you turn the page on the E-Ink side - hate that while i'm reading - seems to jump me from the world of the book to the "real" one (over and over and over)

and on a bit of a side note - is it just me?
i don't see how people put up with this (the popularity of kindle and all)

Last edited by Kurt; 08-26-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
When I first saw the Sony displays, I thought the flash would annoy the sh*t out of me.

In practice, I find I hardly notice it. I generally know how long it will take for the screen to change with a page turn, and my eyes are travelling from from lower right-hand corner to the upper left-hand corner while the screen's flashing.

I just don't see it, not really.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It ends up being no more distracting than turning a page. And, half the Edge is an e-paper display so it will likely flash just like the Kindle.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Some ereaders allow a "partial" refresh so that it doesn't do the "flash". but it does produce a shadow overtime so you want to clear it with a full refresh from time to time.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
It's something new to you. As FizzyWater and carld say you aren’t going to notice it for long.

If you think about it, reading a paper book is worse.

1- Your eyes are down on the lower right corner.

2- You have to take the page from the right side of the book and move it over to the left side.

3- Fingers from both hands will have to be repositioned.

4- Now you have to focus on the top left corner of the book.

How many pages are in the book? Yeah. you're going to have to do it a lot.

An ereader is simpler and faster.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
interesting

though so far no one has actually said that all E-Ink readers have the flash i certainly get the impression that this flash thing is basic to the screen itself and not, say, the operating system

darn, may have to rethink the electronic part of the christmas parade
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

and on a bit of a side note - is it just me?
i don't see how people put up with this (the popularity of kindle and all)
It's not just you

As others have said-most people get over it/used to it/ignore it.

Personally? Even though I read on a Sony 505 for a while, it always bugged me.

And, (again, just me) I don't buy the whole "a real book page turns are worse" argument. To me, the flash always seemed like a technical glitch, not anything natural (although I totally understand the reasoning behind it). A small, but annoying, technical glitch
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
To answer the question. Yes they all flash, though some are a little faster than others. But not a lot faster.

As to whether the flash is a problem to you in particular, that is up to you. Most people get used to in a short time.

I'll grab a tree limb and lean out over a cliff to enjoy the view. My wife looks at the floorboard as we drive over a bridge.

It's all up to you. If you think that you can't get used to it, you won’t. Buy something else.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The overwhelming majority of people find that, after an hour or so, they no longer consciously notice it; your brain just filters it out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Never bothered me.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of people find that, after an hour or so, they no longer consciously notice it; your brain just filters it out.
Yup. Pretty much what happened in my case.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
E-ink screens flash to avoid ghosting. Like you, I was worried about it bothering me, but it really doesn't. It's waaay less intrusive than flipping a paper page.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
interesting

though so far no one has actually said that all E-Ink readers have the flash i certainly get the impression that this flash thing is basic to the screen itself and not, say, the operating system

darn, may have to rethink the electronic part of the christmas parade
Yes, eink screens made by PVI do have the flash. But to be honest, it's so fast that by the time my eyes have gone from the bottom of the screen to the top, it's over and done with and not a problem. Lots of people who have said the flash was a bother now say it's not a bother. So yes, there's a really good chance you'll get used to it and it won't be a bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
IMO, this "flash" wins hands-down over the animated page turns seen on some other devices.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote