Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #46
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I can recognize what you described, and no, my Aura does not look like this. You have indeed an uneven lighting, so in your shoes I would try to exchange it at la FNAC.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #47
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
You are the owner of an faulty Aura. Time for an exchange.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #48
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I can recognize what you described, and no, my Aura does not look like this. You have indeed an uneven lighting, so in your shoes I would try to exchange it at la FNAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
You are the owner of an faulty Aura. Time for an exchange.
Thank you for your back up I feel more confident now that this Aura is defective indeed.
I will read with it tonight and then will go back to the shop tomorrow morning first thing.

But (1) am I the only one with this issue? and (2) mr_nihilism, can you really tell from my crappy picture? Your eyesight must be impressive
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #49
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Well, it's not entirely easy to tell from you picture, but despite that the pic is not representative of how well my Aura screen displays. So, between that and your disatisfaction, I'm going to call it and say return it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #50
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Well, I contacted Kobo today about returning because of the intermittent glow light flicker and the frequent two-page turns. All I wanted was a return/exchange authorization, so I could get on with this and get a working reader in my hands! I've already been through the soft reset and full factory reset, which didn't solve anything.

Sadly, the CS rep first tried to blame the problems on a book, asking me what I was reading, at which point I told her I'd read multiple books and it had happened in most of them, putting the kabosh on that ploy!

Anyway, after putting me on hold several times, I was informed I'd have to be moved to *Tier 2* support and that I would receive an email from them. I asked why I couldn't just get a return/exchange authorization and was told Tier 1 couldn't do that. I then asked when I might expect to hear from *Tier 2*. And the answer to that was *unknown*. Really? Not even a time frame?

It's giving me a bad feeling. I wish I had an easy issue to document, but it's intermittent and only happens occasionally.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #51
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
My device had a "dead" light pixel in the lower middle of the screen.
I decided to exchange my Aura device at the Indigo bookstore.

The Indigo store rep was able to quickly exchange my device without any questions asked. I have to give props to the good service at the Indigo bookstore.

Not to take any chances, I activated my replacement device in-store. I did not want to travel all the way home and find any defects.

It was a good choice that I made, because to my dismay the replacement device was worst than the original device! When the light feature was turned on there were three ugly white botches on the screen. There were scratch marks on the upper corner of the screen.

I showed the defective replacement device to the store rep. where they agreed to exchange the replacement for a second replacement. Luckily the second replacement seem to have a satisfactory screen.

The fact I had to go three Aura devices to get a decent screen brings into question the Q&A for the Kobo Aura screens. It seems to be a gamble on whether or not you will get a device without any screen defects.

My advice if you are considering the Aura is to purchase the device at a brick and mortar store, activate it in-store and then try out the light feature. It would save you the time in finding out if the device is defective or not.

Last edited by RZetlin; 05-17-2013 at 08:05 PM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #52
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It occurs to me that there are remarkably few posters here complaining about defective screens. It's important to get a good one, of course, but this does not seem like a common complaint.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #53
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
Update:

So as soon as I mentioned a credit card dispute that got their attention and they replied. Per their request, I filled out their detailed questionnaire, and took photos of the Aura. For some reason they also needed my receipt- don't they have this information? Whatever, I'm pretty sure Kobo's just trying to make it difficult in hopes that most people will give up.

There's a photo that shows the pinprick of light on the screen and there's a photo of the aura next to the nook and kindle which shows that the Aura's screen is a downgrade. I had my sister help me with the pictures because I wanted it to be fair and not look like I'm setting up the Aura to look bad.

Anyway- I send all the documentation to Kobo that they wanted and I'm told I'll hear back in 24-48 hours. Suffice it to say, I did not hear back in 24-48 hours. So I gave them 4 business days then I contacted the credit card company about this whole mess. What's the point of threatening to go the credit card route unless you're willing to do it? I feel better now because I can relax since I know the credit card company will go after Kobo.
Ya.. Like I have said many times.. Kobo nice e-reader ... however absolute terrible customer service.. the Right hand doesn't know what the Left hand is doing.. they will get swallowed up by Nook is the rumor.. or possibly Kindle..but I hear Nook.. B&N..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #54
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Mr. Doug, you keep saying that, but as far as I can tell, you are the only person that believes this to be true.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Mr. Doug, you keep saying that, but as far as I can tell, you are the only person that believes this to be true.
I believe it also (the terrible customer service part).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #56
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
It occurs to me that there are remarkably few posters here complaining about defective screens. It's important to get a good one, of course, but this does not seem like a common complaint.
One of the reasons I kind of hate to return/exchange mine is that the screen is perfect. But I'm also afraid the glo light flicker could get worse.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #57
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I read WSJ and other stock alert news. Stock rumors takeovers..
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dear Mr. Doug; Please.... can we drop this whole conjecture that you insist on bringing to the fore over and over again? You seem to be the only person mentioning this.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #59
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Not to mention it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #60
MrDoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Dear Mr. Doug; Please.... can we drop this whole conjecture that you insist on bringing to the fore over and over again? You seem to be the only person mentioning this.
Sorry. but it was related to a earlier comment. [SNIP]

Doug

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-19-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Rudeness