Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Just because the site has ads and membership fees doesn't mean it's commercial and for profit. Servers, maintenance and storage space cost thousands of dollars monthly for a big site. I know financial details of only one big site with such material, but I'm certain no money is used for any other goal than maintaining the site in its case.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
They really aren't. They are illegal. Moral gray area perhaps.
Right or wrong, the fact that there is no legal way to obtain something does not make illegal ways of obtaining it any less so.
But if nobody is publishing a particular item in your country, then whose copyright are you violating?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
But if nobody is publishing a particular item in your country, then whose copyright are you violating?
Copyright applies across national borders, so you're violating the publisher's copyrights. The fact that it's not available in your country does not give anyone the right to distribute it without the permission of the copyright holder.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Unless you live in Afghanistan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Kiribati, Nauru, Palau, San Marino, São Tomé and Príncipe, Seychelles, Somalia, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu or Vanuatu. Those countries never signed any international copyright agreements.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Copyright applies across national borders, so you're violating the publisher's copyrights. The fact that it's not available in your country does not give anyone the right to distribute it without the permission of the copyright holder.
Hence the need for Orphan Rights laws, with clauses about language and availability, yes.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #21
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Hence the need for Orphan Rights laws, with clauses about language and availability, yes.
Indeed, along with the problem of orphan works current copyright laws aren't just used for profit, they're used for price fixing (with region coding of things like dvds and geo-restrictions on books) and for keeping work unavailable (like books under contract but not in print and the Disney vault).

The choice to publish once made is irreversible. I know we on mobileread fight about the place of copyright but we should try to get enough members together to start pushing lawmakers about the parts we can mostly agree on. Some pro-consumer copyright reform beats none at all.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #22
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Pisses me off that idiot photographers who were unable to actually read the specific proposals and realise that their scaremongering crap wasn't actually on the cards killed off the Orphan Rights part of the DEB.

Of course, the Tories plans for Orphan Rights look like they really WILL screw photographers over. Yay for irony!
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #23
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've used fansubs and scanlations for a long time, simply because they tend to be high quality, and allow things to be available for years before a professional does it (if at all). When it is available for legal purchase, I do that, but I end up still prefering the fan made copy. Too often the stories are butchered.

For instance, I was a fan of Bleach, but due to time constraints I've not really been able to watch it since 2008. I was checking on it earlier, and the US version of it is still about 50 episodes behind where I left off. The way the US airings happen, it'll probably be about 2 years before it catches up to where I last was able to watch.

As far as the comment that the fan groups are profit driven, well, I kind of find that funny. Many of the groups, while they may have ads on the site, still end up paying for most of it out of pocket. Operating a site that has high bandwidth usage is very expensive. Yeah, if they get a hundred or two hundred a year from ads, that seems like profit, but some people I know pay that a month for hosting fees.

There are profit driven groups, but generally they take someone else's work, and charge for it. I've even seen where they leech from other's servers, so they make the group who made it eat the bandwidth costs.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote