Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #91
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I'm old enough to remember the competition between Betamax vs. VHS. Objectively, Betamax was better, except for price and content. Turned out that what most people wanted was price and content.
And needing two BetaMax cartridges to fit long movies.

Quote:
The only serious competition I think we will see for a long while will have to come from Amazon, because only Amazon has the marketing mechanism to compete with the ease of use Apple has, assuming that Amazon can come up with a decent quality Kablet of some kind.
What does marketing have to do with ease of use?

Quote:
Meanwhile, that executive's complaints really boil down to "what we are making isn't anything as good as the iPad, and we can't even do THAT right."
What the "executive's" complaint has to do with the "executive's" inability/unwillingness to compete in the marketplace. What we need here is a new executive.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #92
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
What does marketing have to do with ease of use?
I think he means to peel away at the 'it just works' mindshare that Apple has.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #93
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
o

My heart and soul are on that tablet (yes, I know I'm biased too) but just knowing that will be using webOs makes me think will be a good choice.

If I can get a nice discount, I will probably get one...
I bought a Palm Pre, on the first day, and I loved WebOS, even though it was very immature and lacked features that even dumb phones took for granted. What I didn't love was the abysmal build quality of the Pre, and the toybox app store.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #94
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
...she is able to bring up her patients data on the spot...
Cofam, I think you wife may be asking for more trouble than she can handle, she needs to take a very careful look at HIPPA security requirements, and cross reference those to what's available on a wired tablet/slate.

And she needs to consult with a IT security professional, and not just take the word of the app developer.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #95
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cofam, I think you wife may be asking for more trouble than she can handle, she needs to take a very careful look at HIPPA security requirements, and cross reference those to what's available on a wired tablet/slate.

And she needs to consult with a IT security professional, and not just take the word of the app developer.
Clinical apps can be used on a wireless network as long as the proper safeguards are in place.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whi...ompliance_1335
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #96
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:

She is one of 18 physicians in the clinic and both the legal team &the tech department approved it and its the same system the mayo system uses as well as several other multi state hospital institutions use. its not just her going maverick and doing it on her own. if done properly the tablets are invaluable tools in the workplace that a laptop/netbook is unacceptable.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #97
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Clinical apps can be used on a wireless network as long as the proper safeguards are in place.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whi...ompliance_1335

Yes, that's the question; What are those safeguards, and do they exist on tablets? I don't know, but somehow I think not, except for maybe the RIM PlayBook.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #98
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Yes, that's the question; What are those safeguards, and do they exist on tablets? I don't know, but somehow I think not, except for maybe the RIM PlayBook.
I doubt the medical records are on the device itself, anymore than they would be on a wired PC.

Every tablet out there can securely talk to a back-end server.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #99
wodin
Illiterate

Thanks for the link RockdaMan, I will digest it when I’m a little less …

I am a Certified Information Systems Professional (CISSP), but I haven't looked very closely at either HIPPA requirements or the underlying security structure of tablet/slate computers. I do know that the only mobile email systems (excluding laptops with VPNs) that are robust enough for the US Government are Blackberries and Windows Mobile (the old versions) with special hardware and software.

802.1x Wireless systems are not secure enough out of the box (even with WPA2 encryption), and require a quite expensive encryption appliance and a Wireless Intrusion Detection appliance in order to be authorized for sensitive data. I also know that my network does not comply with HIPPA requirements

So I would be very skeptical about your average iPad or Xoom with WiFi or 3G being HIPPA compliant. That’s why I suggested consulting with an IT security professional. Lawyers know a lot about law, but with few exceptions they don’t know a lot about IT security.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #100
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

ill be honest i dont know exactly how its done and what solution they use as i dont have access to them :P from what i understand from my wife is that they only access information from the clinics server and require her identification each time she uses it and they are not taken home. so im not exactly what they use but i know she said the local hospital uses Zsentry for thier tablets "im not sure what that is or what it does"

i know the local marshfield clinic uses some fujitsu tablet for its 45 locations that communicate with thier central location (again im not sure how or what security measures are used)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #101
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
And needing two BetaMax cartridges to fit long movies.
ot, but can you beleive my copy of wrestle mania 2 still looks as good as it did some 25yrs ago on my Betamax!
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #102
covfam
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
ot, but can you beleive my copy of wrestle mania 2 still looks as good as it did some 25yrs ago on my Betamax!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #103
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
ill be honest i dont know exactly how its done and what solution they use as i dont have access to them :P from what i understand from my wife is that they only access information from the clinics server and require her identification each time she uses it and they are not taken home. so im not exactly what they use but i know she said the local hospital uses Zsentry for thier tablets "im not sure what that is or what it does"

i know the local marshfield clinic uses some fujitsu tablet for its 45 locations that communicate with thier central location (again im not sure how or what security measures are used)
Zsentry is a secure email system for PCs and mobile devices that is HIPPA compliant. They seem to have done their homework re: email, if the same is true about their patient database access system, I would feel a little more comfortable.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #104
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
You know it's time to unsubscribe from a thread when it turns into an Android vs iOS thing.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #105
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I think a lot of us are still waiting for a Windows unit. I write books in Word so I want the unit I buy to be capable of reading a Word file and allowing me to work on it. I've tried a Linux notebook, but it was unusable for my purposes, although it was fine for surfing and email.
The Asus TF comes with Polaris Office which works with Word files. The first night I had both the dock and the TF I spent close to 6 hours working on a Word document. The screen is better than any netbook I've seen and it was pretty nice working on the docked TF.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote