Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Entire "Campion" series now available as UK ebooks

I don't know if they're available elsewhere or not, but the outstanding four books in Margery Allingham's "Campion" crime series have just (yesterday) been released as ebooks, meaning that the whole series is now available. One of the new books is the first one in the series, "The Crime at Black Dudley", which is a bargain at £1.99.

I've been waiting for years to read this series, because I always prefer to read series in order, and the fact that the first one was missing was irritating .

Allingham, along with Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh, is often called one of the "Queens of British detective fiction", and her "Campion" series is one of the classics of the so-called "Golden Age" of British detective fiction.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-08-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for posting this, Harry. I've got many of the Campion books as tatty old paperbacks, which I don't have much incentive to re-read. I'll be more inclined to read them as ebooks.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Campion the Wonder Horse.

Come on, I wasn't the only one thinking it.

I think Black Dudley is only semi-canon, and I tend to think of it as book 0 rather than book 1, but then again it is the only one of the series I have read so far, although I collected a small handful of used paperbacks during my recent Golden Age crime infatuation.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thank you Harry.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are the books available in the US?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Some are available, and in different covers.

It probably isn't complete at all.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Thank you Harry.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have an Amazon UK Account.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As far as I'm aware, they are all available in Amazon US. The only one I didn't have was The Mind Readers, and I see that is not only now available, but is available through Kindle Unlimited. (Most of the Campion books are available for free through Kindle Unlimited. And many are also WhisperSync for Voice, and a very reduced price. )

ETA: One missing: Coroner's Pidgeon (apa, Pearls Before Swine), but this one is available as an Audible book.

Last edited by CRussel; 05-08-2015 at 07:00 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just purchased (at $.99 each) 16 Margery Allingham's "Campion" crime series eBooks. (Kindle Big Deal sale)

Now I just need to figure out which ones I am missing. Amazon does not have the series # listed for most of them.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
I just purchased (at $.99 each) 16 Margery Allingham's "Campion" crime series eBooks. (Kindle Big Deal sale)

Now I just need to figure out which ones I am missing. Amazon does not have the series # listed for most of them.
Www.stopyourekillingme.com
Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Spoiler:
1. The Crime At Black Dudley (1929)
aka The Black Dudley Murder
2. Mystery Mile (1930)
3. Look to the Lady (1931)
aka The Gyrth Chalice Mystery
4. Police at the Funeral (1931)
5. Sweet Danger (1933)
aka The Fear Sign
6. Death of a Ghost (1934)
7. Flowers for the Judge (1936)
8. The Case of the Late Pig (1937)
9. Dancers in Mourning (1937)
aka Who Killed Chloe?
10. The Fashion in Shrouds (1938)
11. Traitor's Purse (1941)
12. Coroner's Pidgin (1945)
aka Pearls Before Swine
13. More Work for the Undertaker (1948)
14. The Tiger in the Smoke (1952)
15. The Beckoning Lady (1955)
aka The Estate of the Beckoning Lady
16. Hide my Eyes (1958)
aka Tether's End
17. The China Governess (1962)
18. The Mind Readers (1965)
19. A Cargo of Eagles (1968)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/margery-allingham/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks CRussel and AnemicOak! Very useful sites!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Since seeing this thread, I have started reading The Crime At Black Dudley. My first impression is that Allingham had not got into her stride with this one. It's very much the cliché 1920s English country house murder mystery, and not as good as, say, Police at the Funeral or The Tiger in the Smoke, which are definitive examples of the Campion cannon. As Dr. Nefario pointed out, it is really book 0 rather than book 1.

I mention this in case anyone is planning to read the Campions in order. If so, please don't be put off by this first one.

One the other hand, it will be interesting to see how her style developed as the series progressed.

Mike

Last edited by Mike L; 05-13-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #14
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
As far as I'm aware, they are all available in Amazon US. The only one I didn't have was The Mind Readers, and I see that is not only now available, but is available through Kindle Unlimited. (Most of the Campion books are available for free through Kindle Unlimited. And many are also WhisperSync for Voice, and a very reduced price. )

ETA: One missing: Coroner's Pidgeon (apa, Pearls Before Swine), but this one is available as an Audible book.
I wonder if it was pulled for editing. It was available this past December; I bought it then. From my invoice --

Digital Order: December 3, 2014
Coroner's Pidgin [Kindle Edition]
By: Margery Allingham
Sold By: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
$2.99

I haven't read it yet (or reread; I read most of them many years ago) but I just looked at it, and a few of the others, in Calibre. It was the only one I saw that had no table of contents and no separation (new page) between chapters.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I haven't read it yet (or reread; I read most of them many years ago) but I just looked at it, and a few of the others, in Calibre. It was the only one I saw that had no table of contents and no separation (new page) between chapters.
Could well be. I just went ahead and read the Audible version for that Campion and moved on to the next. Now I'm off on an SF binge, so it may be a bit before I get back to Albert Campion. Besides, I like to hold books like these for when I am feeling ennui. They are reliable reads, and, along with Georgette Heyer Regencies, are my get back to reading books of choice.