Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I used to get Field and Stream magazine when I was a teen, and Patrick F. McManus used to write humorous stories in there about boyhood outdoor adventures. Many have been collected into books. If you're interested in the outdoors (fishing, hunting, camping,...), you might try them out.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #17
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
O. Henry's works are usually short and at least some of them have an element of humor in them.
Can you please link me to these stories? I've never heard of "Henry's".
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #18
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I used to get Field and Stream magazine when I was a teen, and Patrick F. McManus used to write humorous stories in there about boyhood outdoor adventures. Many have been collected into books. If you're interested in the outdoors (fishing, hunting, camping,...), you might try them out.
Wow, this sounds amazing!

Do you have a link for me to read these?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #19
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
Wow, this sounds amazing!

Do you have a link for me to read these?

Thanks a bunch!
I'm still trying to find these stories so I can get an idea of what they're about before I buy them.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #20
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Apart from some blogs at Outdoor Life magazine, I don't think you'll find anything online by Patrick F. McManus. I suggest going to a library if there's one near you. They'll probably have some of his books, or at least can get them in via interlibrary loan.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Can you please link me to these stories? I've never heard of "Henry's".
Sure. There's a dozen books of his work right here at MR. They're in Kindle format but should convert to epub easily enough in Calibre if you need them converted for your reader.
O.Henry
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:05 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I'm still trying to find these stories so I can get an idea of what they're about before I buy them.
I've read one of his books They Shoot Canoes Don't They? and it was funny. I don't remember a lot of the stories but I do remember two:
Spoiler:
In one he's cleaning out his garage and his wife asks about a piece of board with feathers glued to it. He'd gone Growse hunting and had been too close to his quarry when he shot. All that was left was a scattering of feathers. In the other he was around 12-13 and going ice fishing with an old guy from the town. The man rigged up a makeshift sail on top of the hut they were using so that the wind would help move the hut if they needed to do so. Well at one point the author stepped out and locked the door behind him. Just then a high wind came up and the hut went for quite a ride. Other fishermen saw the old guy leaning out the window with an ax trying to cut down his sail. The author asked if he'd said anything and one of them said "nothing I'd repeat to a boy your age."
That's just a brief sample of the stuff in that one book but it should give you an idea of what the stories are like.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Try this:
http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc2/showpage.php?page=133
Unfortunately, this was the only copy of this story I could find in a quick search. I'm sure there used to be many other formats of it. I'll edit this if I find it in the MR library.
It's an amusing short story.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #24
FatGuy
Groupie

Thanks guys!

My main device is now an iPad Mini so .PDF files would be ideal for me!

Edit: Be great if someone could link me to a .PDF file of stories!

Last edited by FatGuy; 03-27-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just read this one in Best American Short Stories -
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/07/01/mastiff

Loved it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

I'm looking for some funny or interesting stories so that I can get ideas from so that I can create my own stories.

Are there any biographies people could recommend?
I just want some brief and basic stories!
Some of the best I've read are more memoirs:
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-America.../dp/0060927631
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 AM   #27
FatGuy
Groupie

Thanks so much, but I'm looking for .PDF files so I can view them on my iPad.

Edit: I just want some interesting stories to read.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 AM   #28
FatGuy
Groupie

I still haven't been able to find a collection of good stories in .pdf form.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Thanks so much, but I'm looking for .PDF files so I can view them on my iPad.

Edit: I just want some interesting stories to read.
You need to get the kindle app or other epub reader app.

pdf's mostly suck for reading. There have been extensive discussions on this forum about it.
I'm sure there are many anxious to help if you need in getting kindle or Gutenberg etc. books.

Last edited by kennyc; 03-30-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #30
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I just read this one in Best American Short Stories -
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/07/01/mastiff

Loved it.
Thanks, I'll read this on my iPad tonight!