Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you sent your paperwhite back for exchange or gotten your money back?
Yes...once 17 13.49%
More than once 23 18.25%
No..the pw is working great. 86 68.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Mine arrived with one small colour bloom which disappeared after a day or two of use. The screen was otherwise flawless, and months later I'm still perfectly satisfied with it and consider it the best reader I've ever bought.

My ex also got one with no problems.

My mother's arrived with one bright pixel, but it's in the margins and didn't bother her. I could see a colour bloom, but she couldn't see it -- my colour perception is definitely above average, so I'm not surprised it looks normal to her. It also seems to have faded a bit with time, though it hasn't disappeared completely like the one on mine did.

I think it very likely your 10-year-old would love it. I'd have been thrilled if this was available when I was 10. (I had to make do with the torch and book under the bedcovers thing.)
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Having a kindle at 10 would have been the best thing in my life, at the time.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #33
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Mine is perfect first go. I have given it a good work out. My daughter is in love with it and is buying one this week.
I would choose the paperwhite every time. The light makes it a dream come true. Easy bed time reading.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
More than 30% returned their PW, and more than half of those returned it more than once! That's prety scary for someone thinking of buying one. I can't dismiss them as being OCD.

I would have liked to have seen more explanation / description from the people who returned the PW.

Also I would like to see comments from users who sent one back and were satisfied with the replacement. I would like to know what the difference was.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #35
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
More than 30% returned their PW, and more than half of t
hose returned it more than once!
That's prety scary for someone thinking of buying one. I can't dismiss them as being OCD.

I would have liked to have seen more explanation / description from the people who returned the PW.

Also I would like to see comments from users who sent one back and were satisfied with the replacement. I would like to know what the difference was.
Do you have actual facts to support your statement?

Edit: If you are only referring to the poll at the beginning of this thread, keep in mind that members here on MR are a miniscule percentage of Paperwhite owners.

Last edited by Skydog; 05-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
First PW: dark, murky screen; large areas of pink and green visible in pretty much any light condition; large light bleed on the left starting about 1" from the bottom and stretching about 1" in height and width.

Replacement PW: much brighter, clearer screen; some faint green but not visible in normal reading conditions (I need to crank up the light in pitch black to see it) very small light bleed on the left but as it doesn't stray into the text area, it's not distracting when reading.

Basically the first one was terrible and the replacement, although not perfect, is OK for everyday use (that's about 4 to 5 hours a day in my case). The difference between the two was huge though. And I did sent feedback to Amazon
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #37
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I ran a similar poll in the Nook forum and it returned very similar results. About 30% of users had expressed dissatisfaction serious enough to return their device. IMO the Nook lighted-screen design flaws are real and documented and serious enough to dissuade purchasing. I see no reason to treat the PW differently. Frankly, I am surprised to see the PW screen has garnered an equal level of customer dissatisfaction. It seems the wisest possible move at the moment for the user wishing to upgrade to lighted-screen tech is to wait. There is the Kobo, I suppose, but I must admit I wasn't that impressed with the device. Add to that that the light's dimmest setting is too bright, and really, one is left with little choice but to wait and see at the moment. I do appreciate that Amazon has a good returns policy, but the poll does strongly suggest the tech is not mature. There are a number of other factors I don't like about Amazon, so for now the PW gets a thumbs-down from me. At the moment there are no e-readers I want to upgrade too. Still waiting.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I got mine as a prize from the Winter Contest here at MR and I've had no problems with it to speak of. Once or twice I have had to restart it when it froze (but I think that was me either trying to open files too quickly or too many books) but that is the only thing I've had happen even close to a problem. Of course with a built in front light she won't have to hold a flashlight up to the book to read after lights out. I know when I was a 10 yr old my mom (also a Penny) would have to tell me to "put down the book, turn off the light, and go to sleep."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #39
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have had 2 replacements, so total of 3 devices. I settled on the 2nd replacement.
I didn't have the issues though that many here had. I had no color blobs. No pink or green or such. My first one had a very bright "hole" smack in the middle bottom and it was not level. I mean the display was mounted on crooked. I measured 2 mm of difference from left to right. It is very annoying when you read and the font line goes downwards on the right. It was very noticeable.
The first replacement had 2 very bright light spots, one on the left bottom corner. I could actually see how the layers had separated from each other causing a glaring leak no matter the light setting. It also had a thumb size bright spot on the bottom right. Like one of the lights was like a beam and much brighter than the others. If it just had been slight, I would have dealt with it, but it was again very annoying and noticeable.

The 2nd replacement I then kept, its frame is not glued down properly and is sticking up all on the top and down the side. Hard to explain, but next to the rubber frame on the device it sticks up at the very edge. It also has the darkest smudges between the lights of all 3 devices. I decided to stick with it as customer service got a bit reluctant and after I stuck the PW into the official cover, I wasn't too worried about the frame not being glued down. I don't have to touch those areas now.

I guess I figured it has a 1 year warranty and if it comes apart, I can always call later. So far it has stayed exactly how it was and its not bothering me.

It does also have a slight tilted screen, but not as bad as the first one.

So I did settle a bit, but I don't notice anything anymore when I read now.

I just got tired of all the stress of replacing and moving books and stressing out. I just wanted to read.

But the first 2 devices, I would not have been able to deal with its defects. They were just too distracting.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I ran a similar poll in the Nook forum and it returned very similar results. About 30% of users had expressed dissatisfaction serious enough to return their device.
Such polls are not unbiased, by their very nature. People who have had problems are far more likely to participate in them than those who have not. It's human nature to be loud in complaint, but silent in satisfaction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Such polls are not unbiased, by their very nature. People who have had problems are far more likely to participate in them than those who have not. It's human nature to be loud in complaint, but silent in satisfaction.
True. The same goes for word of mouth about businesses I think. If someone is satisfied with the service (at say a restaurant) they might pass on the suggestion to eat there to perhaps 5 people but if they are dissatisfied with the service (bad food, unpleasant waiters, dirty dishes, etc.) then they will tell just about anyone they meet how bad it was. Bad word of mouth advertizement goes faster and farther than good.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #42
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
I ran a similar poll in the Nook forum
It is not a poll. It has *no* meaning other than the fact that some people who didn't like their kindles/nooks chose to respond. *Zero* meaning.

Actual polls use a representative cross-section of whatever population they are trying to sample.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #43
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have had my paper white for about 4 months now. It has been great and have only charged it 2 or 3 times since purchasing it. I do not even see a reason to by a next generation device.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote