Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Officially a hypocrite

Yes, I'm a hypocrite.
I've bagged Apple and Apple products too often. Now I have a shiny new Macbook Pro..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hypocrite.

Oh, you already said that.

Do you like it?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Hypocrite.

Do you like it?

Cheers,
Marc
Yes: a thing of beauty is a joy to behold.
Now to my grumbles (you thought I didn't have any? )
  • The OS X Sony Reader Library software doesn't recognize my PRS-600's internal storage. No reading borrowed books? ..
  • The amount of downloading I had to do for patches!
  • The display does come across very dark in late afternoon light coming home on the train. Fiddle with preferences time..
  • Why, oh why, can't I mount my SFTP through the Finder? The Finder seems to support ever protocol bar SFTP.. and I can't for one reason or another get Macfusion to do it.. and it's the only free option bar falling back on mucking around in the Terminal.. and why does the Terminal font look so ugly?..
  • Didn't quite realize it only has two USB ports.. but that should be fine. Unless I need more than 2 USB ports, that is.
  • I have to pay for XCode 4 now?

Last edited by AprilHare; 03-28-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Hypocrite.

Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Yes: a thing of beauty is a joy to behold.
Now to my grumbles (you thought I didn't have any? )
  • The OS X Sony Reader Library software doesn't recognize my PRS-600's internal storage. No reading borrowed books? ..
  • The amount of downloading I had to do for patches!
  • The display does come across very dark in late afternoon light coming home on the train. Fiddle with preferences time..
  • Why, oh why, can't I mount my SFTP through the Finder? The Finder seems to support ever protocol bar SFTP.. and I can't for one reason or another get Macfusion to do it.. and it's the only free option bar falling back on mucking around in the Terminal.. and why does the Terminal font look so ugly?..
  • Didn't quite realize it only has two USB ports.. but that should be fine. Unless I need more than 2 USB ports, that is.
  • I have to pay for XCode 4 now?
I usually find the most valuable critiques of products are from people who are very happy with their choice and can then list their criticisms of it.

Having set up my brother's iMac for him (after he had it boxed for 12 months) I appreciate that "patching" issue. I will say though that I still dread having to reinstall Windows XP when an SP1 CD is all that's available. The updates and rebooting required for that seem interminable (and for any Windows-watchers, note that I like XP. It fit me well in my former life, still does for dual-booting, and as OSX and varieties of Linux do now).

Sorry I can't help much with any of your grumbles. Unlike my former life, I'm strictly a simple end-user with Macs.

Cheers,
Marc
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I think iMacs are pretty-shiny. If I was starting over with a brand new computer, didn't have any files to transfer over, I mean starting OVER - I'd probably want one.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I think iMacs are pretty-shiny. If I was starting over with a brand new computer, didn't have any files to transfer over, I mean starting OVER - I'd probably want one.
That was me exactly! I'd been fired/forced-retired and, having spent much of my working life living in a Windows world for workstations (including supporting, administering, et cetera), the bad blood and new beginning cried out for change. It was a very pleasant one for me (though I still keep a toe in those alternative waters, with dual-booting and a tiny Fujitsu laptop that keeps on keeping on).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Well, I work in a mixed environment - my desktop is a PC however.
I am looking for ways to run some important PC applications on the laptop too.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard

Got word back from Sony. They want me to format my device.
I'm not particularly in the mood to do that
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Well, I work in a mixed environment - my desktop is a PC however.
I am looking for ways to run some important PC applications on the laptop too.
I must admit I am frustrated at the ATO every year for forcing me to use Windows to submit my tax return online (and I always have been, even when that's what I used). Again, not because I have any dislike for Windows, but because they've (not) been looking into making it OS-agnostic seemingly forever. To me it should have been that right from the get-go.

But another Windows app I like and use is Chief Architect's Home Designer Suite. I'd still boot windows just for that alone.

But I use Boot Camp. I haven't tried Parallels or Fusion, because my need is relatively rare, and then focussed.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard

I managed to download a copy of MacFUSE and Macfusion that play nice under 64 bit, so that works now. Still a grumble - why the need? :/
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

I forgot about the tax software. May have to try to get a version of Wine.