Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ebookwise and REB-1100

I just got my REB-1100 today, and I was surprised to discover that the hardware is the same as the Ebookwise 1150. Somehow this fact had escaped me.

I went looking for the REB100 firmware, and I think I found it. Has anyone used this? Will it work on the EB-1150? I am going to try it, but I'd like to get some advice first.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Nate, don't do it! BTW, is it the Rocket eBook or REB 1100 ?

This website and instructions are for REB1100's that have somehow become 'gridded' i.e. internal firmware is corrupt and unusable.

The aim of this website is a last ditch effort to salvage one's non-functional REB1100. This has been attempted by others here (Dr. Drib and ROBERT J. SAWYER) with varying degrees of success.

While the REB1100 and EBW1150 appear identical, they are not. For one the screen on the REB1100 is B&W while the EBW1150 is 16-grayscale. There once was a program by Gemstar to 'swap' REB1100 for GEB1150 (now rebranded to EBW1150) but that had to be done at the factory and invovled upgrading the screen and firmware.

To use the REB1100 firmware with the EBW1150 has not been tested before.

Are you a leader or follower?

My two cents worth...

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the information. Fortunately for me, my Eb-1150 is still charging.

BTW, do you know of any custom firmware for the 1100 or 1150? One with games, perhaps?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Firmwares for the REB1100 can be found here under the links 'ram 305 original' and 'ram 305 rus' (modifed 3.05 with russian fonts). I think ver. 3.05 is the last firmware produced.

These websites have a lot of information on the REB1100 and firmware and such:
- http://www.chromakinetics.com/REB120...0.htm#moreinfo
- http://www.inna-grafics.narod.ru/reb1100/reb1100.htm (in russian)

Firmwares for the EBW1150 are encrypted and property of ETI. As such they are not of any use, info wise. The ETI website has a copy of the latest firmwares for the EBW1150 and REB1200.

However, the russian site ebook.org does have a post about russia'fying the fonts in the REB1200 firmware by Goldy dated March 9, 2008. I have a copy that firmware, but it is of no use to me as I don't speak/understand russian! I love my REB1200 just the way it is, thank-you!

The attached image shows the english translation of Goldy's post.

There was a program to dump the ROM/firmware on REB1200's that were on version 3.3 or earlier called "reb12dump.zip"; however, it no longer works on recent (v4.x) firmware versions.

As an aside, does anyone have a copy of the (unencrypted) 4meg REB1200 ROM from v3.3?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldy-post.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	15051  
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Well, I tried to install the REB-1100 firmware on the 1150. The 1150 was not recognized as a 1100, so there goes that idea.
Advert