Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Which stores do you use for English books?

I only use Kobo, Amazon and Smashwords. Then I convert to kebup and read with Kobo.

I used to use Kobo almost exclusively, but lately I am using Amazon more and more.

Which ones do you use?

Last edited by GERGE; 01-02-2015 at 03:31 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Primarily Kobo (only if there are discount codes that I haven't already used), but also Baen and Smashwords. Been looking into Google Books lately, too. The only outlet I categorically don't buy e-books from is Amazon, but that is just me being stubborn.

I used to buy e-books regularly from iBooks (Apple), but when I could no longer scrub my purchases, I stopped and shortly after switched from iOS to Android.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 04:02 AM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Today, I mostly buy at Amazon*. I buy at Kobo** only if I have a reasonable coupon code. I no longer buy at Barnes & Noble*** except for my dual subscription to Analog and Asimov's Science Fiction magazines. I have bought one book from Google, but they seem to be much more interested in pushing their Google+ services and hangouts, and it's a chore.

If possible, and if I don't have to pay a premium, I also buy at Baen, Smashwords, and direct from authors/publishers. I pay attention to who's having a sale.

My favorite source was Fictionwise, until they closed down.

* Amazon often has the best price. Also, if I have to deal with DRM, Amazon is easier than most to deal with.

** Kobo has given me more problems than any other vendor -- in terms of downloading the wrong book or failing to download anything. And their customer service has been miserable to deal with.

*** Barnes & Noble used to be pretty easy to deal with in terms of downloading and transferring my purchases to my ereader, but recent changes have made it substantially more difficult. The magazines are sold without DRM and are pretty easy to transfer.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Primarily Amazon and Baen, although occasionally Kobo or Waterstones when a book is only available as ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Amazon and Kobo (though Kobo I only started using last month)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I buy primarily from Amazon, Baen and Kobo(when I have a coupon). I have an HD+ and have stopped buying from Barnes and Noble because I can no longer download backups of my purchases.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have an HD+ and have stopped buying from Barnes and Noble because I can no longer download backups of my purchases.
You can do, but you have to work a little harder to do so.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can do, but you have to work a little harder to do so.
I know, but it is just my way of protesting their idiocy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I know, but it is just my way of protesting their idiocy.
Apache
Sure, I agree. There's no reason to buy at B&N rather than Kobo or any other ePub store.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Since I read primarily on Kindles and Amazon's ebook prices and selection are generally better than others for US customers, I buy mostly from Amazon. I still buy direct from Baen whenever possible because they've earned my loyalty as one of the true pioneers in the ebook field and still offer all of their ebooks in multi-format, DRM-free editions and I like to support them as much as possible.

I also bought from Fictionwise before they shut down. I occasionally buy from Smashwords and from other publishers who sell direct. Although I have a Nook HD+, I never buy anything from B&N other than a couple of magazine subscriptions.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am in the US and pretty much buy only from Amazon. I got a handful of freebies from Smashwords, Allromance. I think the only other place I ever spend money on ebooks is the Sourcebooks store for romance, Discoveranewlove. They sell the books without DRM so I can just load them over on my kindle.

I never bought anywhere else. Kobo is to complicated for me to figure out, even with the coupons that some seem to have.

But then I have only kindle e-readers. Just works for me. I just want to read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Mostly, I borrow books from my public library. If there is a book that isn't available from the library, and I get an email that it has dropped price to below $5.99 on Amazon, I'll generally buy it. I rarely look at any of the other ebook sellers any more.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I buy at a lot of different places. As long as I can download the book and remove DRM then I don't mind buying from a small retailer that might go bust next week. But over the last year the top three places would be Kobo, OmniLit, and Baen.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I only use Kobo, Amazon and Smashwords. Then I convert to kebup and read with Kobo.

I used to use Kobo almost exclusively, but lately I am using Amazon more and more.

Which ones do you use?
The same (and sometimes B&N) only I convert to mobi.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Since the Sony store closed I've been buying epubs from booksamillion.com (I don't know if they sell outside of the US)

Since I read on the forums here that Kobo finally started indicating which books are readable on epub readers I may start buying from them some too.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote