Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
i gave away an iPad mini
i bought three Kobo devices

i gave no ebooks
i bought a bunch of Edward Robertson, some Sarra Cannon, and about 20 others that i can't recall - mostly free starters or affordable stuff just to see what i like.

oh, i bought Arlene Dickinson's Persuasion/All-In, and on a lark some Camilla Lackberg
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, yes you can.
I gifted two this year (as supplements to the physical gifts).
Cheers, maybe I should have been more specific, but you can't gift ebooks here in the UK.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Actually, what the recipient gets is a credit for the cost of that particular book, and a notification that they received a gift, and the title of the book that the giver suggests, but they can actually get any book that has the same price. It's more like a gift card with a suggested title.

Shari
Well, it's been several years since I was on the receiving end so things might've changed, but what I received was an email with a link to the book page with a choice to accept or decline the book. If I accepted, the book got zapped to my Kindle (actually Kindle for Android on my Sony T1) and if I declined *then* my account received a credit I could spend on something else.
As I didn't own the book and gifter knows my tastes I never really saw what a decline looks like.

(Shrug)

The process may be a kludge but at least it plays out as close to a gift as current tech (and DRM infections) allow.

The way I play it is that when my friends (sticklers for xmas protocols) get up and uncover the loot they eventually go online to confirm I liked mine (like, duh; they know my tastes almost as well as Amazon) and discover the little extra.
It helps that Amazon lets you specify date and time for the email.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #19
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I got Agent to the Stars by Scalzi.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #20
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Cheers, maybe I should have been more specific, but you can't gift ebooks here in the UK.
Perhaps not from Amazon, but you can from other ebook stores e.g. Sainsburys. On their site there is a icon of a wrapped present next to the price and if you hover you mouse over it then 'Gift this book' pops up. No idea what the rest of the process is.

Don't know if other UK based retailers do gift ebooks.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I gave no eBooks and I received no eBooks. Nor any gift cards were exchanged that could be used to purchase eBooks.
You have my condolences. Though if you're one who prefers to pick your own books rather than receive gifts, this is probably a decent outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I exchanged Amazon gift vouchers with my Mum for ebooks (you can't gift actual ebooks),
I see you're in the UK. It's a shame that Amazon UK doesn't support gifting the same way it works in the USA. Though a gift certificate with a recommendation for what you spend it on may be adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The way I play it is that when my friends (sticklers for xmas protocols) get up and uncover the loot they eventually go online to confirm I liked mine (like, duh; they know my tastes almost as well as Amazon) and discover the little extra.
It helps that Amazon lets you specify date and time for the email.
Everyone in my family likes wrapped gifts. So, when I give something online, I print off a picture of it, tape it to the inside of a box, then wrap the box to go under the tree. They then find the online information on the morning of the 26th (to avoid spoilers).
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #22
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Uh huh. No books, but a years supply of contact lenses so I can read the huge supply of ebooks I already have. Now, who will give me more time?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
i'm done buying ebooks for 2015. i think over the past month i've bought more than enough to keep me reading one-a-week for the next year. happy holidays to me!
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I gifted some ebooks to my Mom (almost 81) in November so she could finish her series. I also gifted an Mp3 player packed full of audiobooks to an elderly couple (in their 90s) with no computer access. When they are done, I'll clear it and pack it full again. I didn't get any reading/listening gifts except for a case to keep all my little ithings together along with their cords.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #25
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
Perhaps not from Amazon, but you can from other ebook stores e.g. Sainsburys. On their site there is a icon of a wrapped present next to the price and if you hover you mouse over it then 'Gift this book' pops up. No idea what the rest of the process is.

Don't know if other UK based retailers do gift ebooks.
Thanks, I occasionally looks at the Sainsburys ebook site but hadn't noticed the gift icon. Not much use for it at the moment since the people I know who I'd gift books to have Kindles, but still useful to know. No other UK retailers seem to do it from what I can see.

Looks pretty straightforward, the person will have to register on the Sainsburys website as they get sent a code to redeem to download the book they've been gifted. http://www.sainsburysebooks.co.uk/gift

I quite like giving/receiving a gift voucher for books, but gifting a particular book is a nice option.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I got Catweazle by Richard Carpenter, a novelisation of a 1970s TV series, and The Tomorrow Girl by Aaron Diaz, a graphic novel which I think was rather bigger (A3!) than expected.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
You have my condolences. Though if you're one who prefers to pick your own books rather than receive gifts, this is probably a decent outcome.
Not to worry. It's all good. If I had wanted some eBooks, I would have mentioned it I didn't because there were other things I wanted/needed more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Uh huh. No books, but a years supply of contact lenses so I can read the huge supply of ebooks I already have. Now, who will give me more time?
I know one person who can give you more time. That would be Alex. He can ban you from MR and thus give you much more time for reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #29
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
Ha ha JS Wolf then Piperclassique would go into withdrawals from lack of forum.
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 AM   #30
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
My brother gave me a hardcover, "A Year In the Life of Downton Abbey" (Jessica Fellowes) and a paperback, "Poetry 180 -- A Turning Back to Poetry" selected by Billy Collins. No one I give gifts to reads books (or ebooks), so I didn't give any books this year.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote