Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
srml
Enthusiast
srml has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPhone
Reverse engineering the Cybook hard-/software

Opening the Cybook:
I did it yesterday! But I couldn't get the back of the case off completely, I worried I'd break something. I will try it again next week when I have more time and take some close-up pictures of the internals.

If someone wants to try it:
The screws are located under the rubber pads which can be removed quite easily and two more screws are inside the battery compartment. There is no screw unter the sticker. The back of the case can be lifted off with a small screwdriver without any damage, except for the lower right corner (near the d-pad) where the resistance was much higher.

Keep tweezers ready to reposition the buttons when reassembling the unit.

Analyzing the firmware update file:
I also tried to examine the firmware upgrade file. I didn't get that far. It is a single stripped ELF Arm 32 bit executable. I will publish my findings on http://dur.ch/konfiguriert/Cybook_Gen3

Does anybody have more information or an idea how to proceed?

(Disclaimer: Please first check if reverse engineering is legal in your country. In Switzerland it is.)

Daniel
srml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
There was somebody here that broke the screen of the Cybook. If there is a serious project to reverse engineer maybe a unit with totally broken screen could be useful...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The best thing to examine disassembly is IDA Pro. objdump is not that fancy but might be a workable substitute.
BTW, I'm pretty sure you can distribute binaries containing GPL software even without consent of the maker.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by srml View Post
Opening the Cybook:
I did it yesterday! But I couldn't get the back of the case off completely, I worried I'd break something. I will try it again next week when I have more time and take some close-up pictures of the internals.

If someone wants to try it:
The screws are located under the rubber pads which can be removed quite easily and two more screws are inside the battery compartment. There is no screw unter the sticker. The back of the case can be lifted off with a small screwdriver without any damage, except for the lower right corner (near the d-pad) where the resistance was much higher.

Keep tweezers ready to reposition the buttons when reassembling the unit.

Analyzing the firmware update file:
I also tried to examine the firmware upgrade file. I didn't get that far. It is a single stripped ELF Arm 32 bit executable. I will publish my findings on http://dur.ch/konfiguriert/Cybook_Gen3

Does anybody have more information or an idea how to proceed?

(Disclaimer: Please first check if reverse engineering is legal in your country. In Switzerland it is.)

Daniel

But what indentifying marks did you find inside the case that might give clue as to the hardware manufacturer?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
FYI: Ondřej, our (OpenInkpot) GSoC student did the photos of internals and discovered serial port:

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/CybookGen3
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's the script which will extract individual update files from the update_kernel file:
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...fw_extract.zip
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Here's the script which will extract individual update files from the update_kernel file:
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...fw_extract.zip
Cool! Gotta break-out my EB-100 and see if it's the same hardware. Found the tape to hold the buttons in place when I remove the back panel.

Derek
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

And I've posted photos of the inside of the EB-100.

Not here. I posted them elsewhere in MR. But here's the link.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=21808&page=8

Note that the chipset and even the firmware are the same between the Cybook Gen3 and the Netronix EB-100.

Derek
Old 07-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

So Ondrej has been busy...

He's now got his stripped Cybook Gen3 running a bare-bones OI (Linux 2.6.x) kernel and has the display working. Here's an image of it showing it's true (and open-source) colors!

http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xherman1/cybook/tux.jpg

Derek