Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Moneybags Easy mark with no sales resistance!
Fixed it for you!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #47
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd be completely gobsmacked if the word "eInk" is even mentioned.
Oh it'll be mentioned...just preceded by "no".
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #48
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You all underestimate the competition from B&N and Sony since they offer touch screen e-Ink screens.

There is a consumer demand and I would be shocked if Amazon didn't announce a new e-Ink or other non-LCD based display such as mirasol or pixel-qi.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
You all underestimate the competition from B&N and Sony since they offer touch screen e-Ink screens.

There is a consumer demand and I would be shocked if Amazon didn't announce a new e-Ink or other non-LCD based display such as mirasol or pixel-qi.
I confidently predict that you will be shocked, in that case. The Kindle is selling massively well; Amazon have no reason to change a winning formula.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't believe a new eInk device will be revealed this week, but likewise, I don't believe Amazon has any intention of giving up on eInk. There are too many of us who like reading outside during daylight hours, and as the owner of an iPad I can tell you that there's no comparison. iPads and other tablets are fine for low light settings, but for reading on the deck at midday, they suck.

I think the Kindle Tablet will be the big announcement in a few days. Their app store is up and running, and their website has already be redesigned to be more tablet-friendly. The handwriting is on the touch screen.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #51
MarkScheuern
MarkScheuern began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I confidently predict that you will be shocked, in that case. The Kindle is selling massively well; Amazon have no reason to change a winning formula.
So did the original and second-generation models. Of course there will be an update to the e-Ink models.
MarkScheuern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkScheuern View Post
So did the original and second-generation models. Of course there will be an update to the e-Ink models.
But will it be announced at Wednesday's press conference? I'm predicting that it won't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #53
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I don't think that Amazon will bring out a new e-ink Kindle until there is an improved e-ink screen available. I don't believe that they will bring out a new model just to offer touch.

And I think that, whenever they offer a newer model, it should have a keyboard *and* have touch. Because sometimes it's easier to navigate by touching, but I like using the keyboard to type. In fact, while I'm perfectly content to use the touch keyboard on my iPhone and iPad, whenever I have to use the keyboard on my K3, I always feel just a slight bit of relief that it's a physical keyboard I'm using.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #54
MarkScheuern
MarkScheuern began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
But will it be announced at Wednesday's press conference? I'm predicting that it won't.
We'll see! Actually, in a way, I'm hoping not. Tomorrow's my wife's birthday and, since I want to get her an e-reader, I've been wishing the timing was a bit different. I have a Nook, which I like just fine, but I've been leaning a bit towards getting her a Kindle just to have both bases covered. I know a Kindle 3 I buy today will work just as well after they announce the K4, but it's still a bit of a dilemma.

Last edited by MarkScheuern; 09-26-2011 at 05:22 PM.
MarkScheuern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #55
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Either Amazing is really bad at keeping the tablet secret and at the same time really good at keeping a lid on a new eink reader, or there won't be a new eink reader announced on Wed. I'm betting on the latter.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #56
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
I agree. Next week's announcement is almost without doubt going to be about the tablet. I too would be very surprised to see a new eInk device.
Well, AppleInsider and their Concord analyst got my hopes up but I will be prepared for their being wrong about the two e-ink Kindles to also be announced.

The analyst is depending on what he knows from industry sources overseas but he also gives a lot of details, so I'll just wish he has a good basis for what he says about tomorrow.

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2011...dle-e-ink.html
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #57
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
A touchscreen Kindle with 3G would be great and keep the Kindle ahead of its competitors, as well as showing loyalty to all the Kindle customers feeling a bit left out by all the lighter touchscreen devices out there and willing to jump to them if they feel they're being treated like second-class citizens, like Netflix DVD subscribers pushed towards Qwikster. The rumor part about Amazon's Kindle team not working on the tablet also bodes well for new non-tablet Kindles.

New Kindles would also deflect a lot of the disappointment of an announcement of the Fire if it's just a retooled RIM Playbook and the 'this one's lame, but next year we'll get something that will actually compete with the ipad' approach, if the rumors are correct. Of course, by the time they get their true ipad competitor out, Apple will have the ipad 3, perhaps with a Retina display.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #58
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by log

Quote:
Your predictions suck.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #59
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
New Kindles, no physical keyboard.

Sad panda.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #60
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Annouced at Amazon conference: 3 EInk models, all without keyboards:
no touch, only navigation pad: $79
IR touch, WiFi: $99
IR touch, 3G (+WiFi ?): $149
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote