Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
WeaselWords
WeaselWords began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Can I use the Restore Set for 1.0.04.12210 for June Reader?

I've been wanting to load the June Reader, basically because I'm tired of converting or messing with the css on epubs just to have the option of using Fontin, but 1.0.0.4.12210 isn't available from Sony any more and from what I gathered, June Reader doesn't seem like it'll work on the newer firmware?

If I restore my Reader (which hasn't even been updated yet) with the restore set on projects, can I then use June Reader? Looking around, this still seems like the easiest option, but if there is an easier one, I'd appreciate any advice.

And no, converting with Calibre isn't an option, I've messed with it thru the years and it just isn't for me. In fact I tried adding the css for Fontin using Calibre to convert, and half my ebooks wound up garbled, and the other half wound up duplicated.

Thanks,

Weasel
WeaselWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Install the June Reader app. Then when you go to read a book, you'll get the option of which app you want to use. Select the June app and you can test it to find out if it will work with the current firmware. Just don't make it the default until you are sure it works. f it doesn't work, you can then try the restore set to see if you can go back a firmware version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
WeaselWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Install the June Reader app. Then when you go to read a book, you'll get the option of which app you want to use. Select the June app and you can test it to find out if it will work with the current firmware. Just don't make it the default until you are sure it works. f it doesn't work, you can then try the restore set to see if you can go back a firmware version.
Thanks for the response, my current firmware is older than 1.0.04.12210. I never updated it. I wanted to load up 1.0.04.12210, but Sony no longer has that available for download, just the newer firmware. I just wasn't sure if the Restore Set was the full 1.0.04.12210 firmware or what. I just checked, the version loaded is 1.0.00.09010.

-Weasel
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the 1.0.04.12210 firmware. After you flash this, then you can install the June Reader.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ko...0.04.12210.rar
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
WeaselWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is the 1.0.04.12210 firmware. After you flash this, then you can install the June Reader.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ko...0.04.12210.rar
Thanks! Flashed it, installed June Reader and setup a couple font css's (left a few defaults as well).

If you don't mind, I could use some advice. Trying to set some defaults I like for margins, indents, etc. to override any ebooks. It seemed just using June Reader expanded the margins on all sides, is that normal? I originally had it set for 5pt margins on the top and sides, wound up removing the top and setting the sides all the way down to 1pt. Margins are still somewhat large. Actually, the right margin seems considerably larger than the left. I imagine it is partially due to justification.

Here is a sample of one of my css files,

Code:
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf)}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf)}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:bold; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf)}
@font-face{ font-family: serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:bold; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin_Sans_BI_45b.otf)}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin_Sans_R_45b.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin_Sans_I_45b.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:normal; font-weight:bold; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin_Sans_B_45b.otf);}
@font-face{ font-family: sans-serif; font-style:italic; font-weight:bold; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/Fontin_Sans_BI_45b.otf);}

@page {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 1pt; margin-right: 1pt; text-indent: 1.5em;}

div, p, body, body.book, body.text, body.calibre, body.calibre1, body.calibre2, body.calibre3, body.calibre4 {
    font-family: serif; 
    line-height: 1.2;
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 1.5em;
    }

Last edited by WeaselWords; 05-30-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The June Reader app does not set margins any bigger then default Reader apps.

@page in your CSS won't work well. The problem is that the eBook's CSS will add to your margins and make them even larger.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Weaselwords,

The epub's internal css can set margins in 3 (at least) different ways and they'll be cumulative.
  • in an @page rule
  • in body margins
  • in xpgt margins (an Adobe specific file, page-template.xpgt)

Your posted css should already override the 1st possibilty (although I can't say I've ever seen a text-indent set in an @page rule before).

To override the 2nd possibility, you could try adding
Code:
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
to your existing css file's div, p, body,... {...} rule.

However, if the culprit is the 3rd possibility, a page-template.xpgt file, there is nothing you can put in your css to combat that. The easiest solution (as long as the epub isn't DRM'd) is to remove the xpgt file and all references to it. Calibre's Modify Epub plugin can do this for you painlessly, simply by checking the relevant box. You can run it for your whole calibre library if you want. I believe a calibre epub-epub conversion also automatically removes xpgt margins, but I prefer to use Modify Epub myself.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-31-2013 at 06:42 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
WeaselWords

Thank you JSWolf/jackie_w, I'll give some thought to what you both said. Something came up so I've put that issue on the back burner, and right now I have the June reader working and the fonts I want loaded so I've already achieved most my goal.

Thanks again,

-Weasel
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I noticed that you've used Fontin Sans bold italic as the bold italic for Fontin. You can increase the weight of Fontin Italic so it matches the weight of the bold version and then you'll have a bold italic Fontin and you won't have to use the sans-serif version.