Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One thing that might help in generating ideas is the four step outline.
1. Write a premise. "I want to write a story/novel about...."
2. Write a opening paragraph.
3. Write a closing paragraph.
4. Write a series of #'s down the left side of your paper and write a brief sentence or two for each point about what happens at that point.

Viola! You have a rough sketch outline that gives you a starting point in writing your short story or novel. And ideas don't just stop at that point either. Others will no doubt come to the writer as he/she is writing the piece itself. The outline isn't just a guide for writing the story but for developing the ideas that will form the tale as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One thing that might help in generating ideas is the four step outline.
1. Write a premise. "I want to write a story/novel about...."
2. Write a opening paragraph.
3. Write a closing paragraph.
4. Write a series of #'s down the left side of your paper and write a brief sentence or two for each point about what happens at that point.

Viola! You have a rough sketch outline that gives you a starting point in writing your short story or novel. And ideas don't just stop at that point either. Others will no doubt come to the writer as he/she is writing the piece itself. The outline isn't just a guide for writing the story but for developing the ideas that will form the tale as well.
That works!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
My ideas come from a black hole inside my head... it eats everything up, and then, once in a while, explodes in a plethora of random ideas that somehow make sense.

But really, I usually end up by getting inspired by an image, a phrase, a concept and just let my imagination run wild. It often happens when watching or reading... I might just find a scene, an image, or a phrase, that just pulls the right strings in me... it can be something very small and insignificant, but if it hits the right cords, a whole story will just flood my mind.

And the funniest part is that it will be completely unrelated to the movie, book, scene, story, etc. Like I said, there must be a black hole in my head
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
A falling leaf.
A grasses bent blade.
From such slight signs
are ideas made.
Lovely. Made me smile.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A falling leaf.
A grasses bent blade.
From such slight signs
are ideas made.
Looks a bit Zen.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I think it's less important where ideas come from than what time they arrive. I seem to have far too many that get here just before I fall asleep.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I think Sir Terry Pratchett probably has it right when he writes about particles of inspiration going through the universe. Sometimes they hit the a receptive mind. Most people get none, some people get more than they can deal with, and sometimes they hit the wrong people. HistoryWes, that also explains why they often arrive when you are about to fall asleep. Other common places include the shower, the beach, or falling down the side of a mountain - all of them being places where a pencil and piece of paper are unlikely to be conveniently at hand.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think Sir Terry Pratchett probably has it right when he writes about particles of inspiration going through the universe. Sometimes they hit the a receptive mind. Most people get none, some people get more than they can deal with, and sometimes they hit the wrong people. HistoryWes, that also explains why they often arrive when you are about to fall asleep. Other common places include the shower, the beach, or falling down the side of a mountain - all of them being places where a pencil and piece of paper are unlikely to be conveniently at hand.
When I was in the military, there was a few places to carry a pen but not really a piece of paper in your uniform. Yes we had pockets, but many times no paper. Something would happen to it. What worked was to keep a piece or paper or a card rigged in your hat or helmet.

In industry, I noticed a lot of the tecs would have a marker or a pen but no paper and they would write on their arms, wrists, hands or even their coveralls.

Today I carry folded or unfolded cards (3x5) usually in a leather card carrier case with a short pen. Much quicker than a mobile device.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Today I carry folded or unfolded cards (3x5) usually in a leather card carrier case with a short pen. Much quicker than a mobile device.
While I agree pen/paper can be faster... I personally still find my iPhone superior for this because...

1) I almost always have it with me. Paper and pens I loose - my phone I do not.

2) iPhone can add photos and audio to the note - "hmm that flower gives me an idea" *snap picture of flower, add note*

3) iPhone pushes notes to the cloud (well I use evernote) so when I set a my desktop later I can flip through all the notes I took

4) my iPhone is 100% water proof to 10 meters (it has been underwater with me), pen and paper tend to fail when wet never mind submerged.

Its what works for me, everyone has their own way.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
When I was in the military, there was a few places to carry a pen but not really a piece of paper in your uniform. Yes we had pockets, but many times no paper. Something would happen to it. What worked was to keep a piece or paper or a card rigged in your hat or helmet.
It's a pity that top hats have gone out of fashion. If you read 19th and early 20th century novels, as I do, you constantly read references to people carrying things in them. Businessmen carried documents in their top hat; doctors carried their stethoscope in theirs. Very useful things . I suspect that's one reason that English doctors continued to wear frock coats and top hats until the mid years of the 20th century - long after they'd gone out of general fashion.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a pity that top hats have gone out of fashion. If you read 19th and early 20th century novels, as I do, you constantly read references to people carrying things in them. Businessmen carried documents in their top hat; doctors carried their stethoscope in theirs. Very useful things . I suspect that's one reason that English doctors continued to wear frock coats and top hats until the mid years of the 20th century - long after they'd gone out of general fashion.
There was another reason for having a hat as well. In the old days if you were holding your hat in your hand you couldn't draw your sword and attempt to kill the other person. So not only did hats serve as an extra pocket but they helped in keeping a meeting civil between men in the old days.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
While I agree pen/paper can be faster... I personally still find my iPhone superior for this because...
One of the reasons I still cling to my aging Touch Pro2 is the 5 line, spacious, offset keyboard. I don't like blackberry portrait boards and I don't like screen typing, even with swiftkey/swype/etc. My late night ideas especially get jotted down there. No need to reach for a light either.

I used to carry a little notebook faithfully, but I was less faithful about transferring my notes somewhere more permanent. My digital notebook, while far from perfect, does all that work for me.

Quote:
Its what works for me, everyone has their own way.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. Who doesn't love a good top hat.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #29
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
One other thing and how do we say it? "This is a true story." The cards can be helpful in starting a fire out in the wild. Can your phone do that?

I enjoyed the discussion.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One other thing and how do we say it? "This is a true story." The cards can be helpful in starting a fire out in the wild. Can your phone do that?

I enjoyed the discussion.

lol. Reminds me about the joke about the demonstration of survival gear. Among the gear was a pack of cards. Someone asked if it was for use as kindling. No, said the person putting on the display. If I'm lost out in the woods all I have to do is start playing solitaire and before I know it someone will be there to tell me which card to put down next. Still you have a point frahse you can't improve on kindling with modern tech.